Somalia at night- Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
stoqPdQ.png

I like to keep track of this every couple of months. New places showed up this time including Barawe, Baydhabo, beledweyn, Gebilay, and Buhoodle. This dataset is from 2013 so I expect it is not representative for Kismayo which has grown a lot in the past 4 years. The south is no longer a black mass, there seems to be some growth.

Source for anyone who wants to mess with it
https://explorer.earthengine.google.com/#detail/NOAA/DMSP-OLS/NIGHTTIME_LIGHTS

Oscar

Het beste uitzicht
The whole of south western somalia is in total darkness bay, bakool, gedo, aswell as the whole eastern tip all the way down :ohlord:

Apollo

VIP
Da fuq Yemen? It looks fairly developed if one were to go by that night pic.

Looks like their entire GDP went into street lighting.

Apollo

VIP
The whole of south western somalia is in total darkness bay, bakool, gedo, aswell as the whole eastern tip all the way down :ohlord:

Nobody lives in Eastern Puntland, lol.

Similar to Canadians, we amassed along the ''British Somaliland'' border.
You know what that means if you play Civilization IV/Age of Empire. :ulachen001:

Last edited:
Watch in a decades time, everyone will flock to the coast, I don't know why people in Somalia live in the city, when the coast is incomparable. Look at China for instance.

images(110)_edit_edit.jpg

Apollo

VIP
Watch in a decades time, everyone will flock to the coast, I don't know why people in Somalia live in the city, when the coast is incomparable. Look at China for instance.

Western China is arid and controlled by non-Chinese (Tibetans, Muslims, Turks, Mongols etc). The Han never felt comfortable living there.

As for Somalia, the Gulf of Aden coastal area has crap weather (too hot due to winds from Arabia). The Indian Ocean coastline has a semi-decent climate though.

RudeBoi

Feel my D in her abs call me Abdi
I can see Hargeisa,Burco,Berbera,Gabiley city & Borama.Seems like only Western Somaliland(Galbeed) is lit up.The Eastern Isaaq & Harti live in total darkness though. They are extremely rural.

RudeBoi

Western Somaliland:Hargeisa,Burco,Berbera,Arabsiyo,Gabiley city,Wajaale,Borama,and Sheekh .Also shows Sacad Muuse XartiSheikh in Ethiopia &Abaskuul Kebri Beyah
Y5xzRIW.jpg

Apollo

VIP
Hargeisa is really close to Harar. You could almost commute to Harar and live in Hargeisa every day if there were high speed rails.

RudeBoi

Eastern Somaliland in comparison.The east needs to abandon this geeljire lifestyles and urbanize real quick. We have HY Ceerigabo, and Harti Badhan ,Buhoodle& Lascaanod.Not a single HJ village with light smh
5SXEiWR.jpg

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
Nobody lives in Eastern Puntland, lol.

Similar to Canadians, we amassed along the ''British Somaliland'' border.
You know what that means if you play Civilization IV/Age of Empire. :ulachen001:

Exactly almost all of the cities in Puntland, except Galkacyo, are never more than 5 km from the former "British Somaliland" border. Qardho is actually the border and Osman Mohamud actually live in places within the borders of former "British Somaliland".

Side note, Eastern Puntland is actually not empty and some of the most densely populated areas in Puntland are in eastern Bari. Eespecially Calula where you can find three fishing towns all within 5 miles of each other.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
I can see Hargeisa,Burco,Berbera,Gabiley city & Borama.Seems like only Western Somaliland(Galbeed) is lit up.The Eastern Isaaq & Harti live in total darkness though. They are extremely rural.

Harti actually have more towns that show up than Isaaq. Harti are fairly urbanized for Somalia, around 25%-30% urban.

RudeBoi

Harti actually have more towns that show up than Isaaq. Harti are fairly urbanized for Somalia, around 25%-30% urban.
Why you comparing big ass Isaaq to Harti? :ayaanswag:

Harti is not as urbanized as the Habar Awal who have Berbera,Arabsiyo,Gabiley City,Wajaale,Xarshin,XartiSheikh,Tog Wajaale and parts of Hargeisa with cities stretching from the coast to Jigjigga Woreda.Anyways you are much more urbanized then Habar Jeclo.they are completely rural (Geeljires or villagers) except in Burco. I'm of the belief that Somaliland govt needs to help the Eastern HY/HJ & and Harti to urbanize.The region is dark af :faysalwtf:

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
Why you comparing big ass Isaaq to Harti? :ayaanswag:

Harti is not as urbanized as the Habar Awal who have Berbera,Arabsiyo,Gabiley City,Wajaale,Xarshin,XartiSheikh,Tog Wajaale and parts of Hargeisa with cities stretching from the coast to Jigjigga Woreda.Anyways you are much more urbanized then Habar Jeclo.they are completely rural (Geeljires or villagers) except in Burco. I'm of the belief that Somaliland govt needs to help the Eastern HY/HJ & and Harti to urbanize.The region is dark af :faysalwtf:

I don't think you are using the word Harti correctly. Galkacyo and Bosaso are Harti towns along with Las Anod and Badhan. More than 30% of the light output of Somalia is coming from Harti inhabited towns.

Status
Not open for further replies.