Somalis and the black / African identity

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
@Hamzza

I know you're triggered by the cultural stuff like sacred trees and want to for some reason believe it was just the Cisse doing this but, wallahi, walaal, I'm afraid that's simply not true and it's very clear this was ubiquitous across regions like the north.

Hamzza

VIP
@Hamzza

I know you're triggered by the cultural stuff like sacred trees and want to for some reason believe it was just the Cisse doing this but, wallahi, walaal, I'm afraid that's simply not true and it's very clear this was ubiquitous across regions like the north.
I don't know why I disliked your post, but after reading alot of stuff, I'm starting to agree with you. Islam was not as highly propagated in Somalilands as I first thought.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I don't know why I disliked your post, but after reading alot of stuff, I'm starting to agree with you. Islam was not as highly propagated in Somalilands as I first thought.

I would argue it was relatively well and regularly propagated. The thing we need to grasp about Islam in Somaliweyn is that it came via trade and not conquest although internal jihads may very well and seemingly sometimes did occur. This means that Somalis adopted Islam in a syncretic manner. As in a lot of the pre-Islamic culture got preserved despite the fact that you had Wadaads running around Somaliweyn teaching people about the deen regularly:

Even the office and nature of the "Wadaad" seems, as Diriye says, pre-Islamic itself and probably harkens back to something like a Qallu priest among Waqists. You see a similar situation in Indonesia. The faith not coming via conquest meant a lot of compromise was probably reached with the local people hence the preservation of all these shirk-y customs and naago walking around with their shoulders and necks exposed.

Hamzza

VIP
I would argue it was relatively well and regularly propagated. The thing we need to grasp about Islam in Somaliweyn is that it came via trade and not conquest although internal jihads may very well and seemingly sometimes did occur. This means that Somalis adopted Islam in a syncretic manner. As in a lot of the pre-Islamic culture got preserved despite the fact that you had Wadaads running around Somaliweyn teaching people about the deen regularly:

Even the office and nature of the "Wadaad" seems, as Diriye says, pre-Islamic itself and probably harkens back to something like a Qallu priest among Waqists. You see a similar situation in Indonesia. The faith not coming via conquest meant a lot of compromise was probably reached with the local people hence the preservation of all these shirk-y customs and naago walking around with their shoulders and necks exposed.
You are 100% right brother.
Compared to other East African Muslim groups we are the best. We produced some brilliant and well known sheikhs like Sheykh Uweys who's influence is felt in distant regions like Tanzania and Congo. Our Wadaads also Islamized great number of Oromos. Our neighbouring Afars were letting their girls run around naked, when we were having fights over Hijab(Bardhere wars).

Fikrad ayaan hayaa... you can just claim Somali instead of Madow or Arab

:draketf::mjlol:
Somalis are a subset of the great Arab nation.Afro-Asiaticnimo is real Señor Nilotic

Distribution-Afro-Asiatic-languages.jpg

1*SUmlUgZpCcVaxYdlFlJasg.jpeg

Somalia need an Islamic Nationalism idea.

Islam is simple of unity and will fix our tribalism disaster

Nationalism to preserve our culture and language.

Btw I support the idea of making a new alphabet for our language.

Latin is ok but why not

Based

VIP
Why do somalians linger on the 70s/80s kacaan era when Somalis were uneducated and forced with gaalo ideologies? These idiots are making us into the african Iran 😂 you can clearly tell where the inspiration is from.

Somalis don't fit in with this blanket Black African identity because it's superficial. The only reason a lot of African ethnic groups get along with each other so easily, is because they share the same roots. Like @Shimbiris and others said, we are Cushites. So what if we don't have a lot of other people in the diaspora to identify with the same thing. We are Somalis and Somalis have never needed others.

This is not to say we can't be cordial and be allies with others. But don't make the mistake of being lumped in with others, where you have to bend over backwards to please them.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
The "golden" age of Somalia 1980 is a quarter of Xamar

Bit of an exaggeration. Yes, some folks look at the life of the well-off of in Xamar and act like the whole country was living it up which wasn't true but I've listened to relatives, both very old and middle-aged, who remember the pre-civil war era in the gobols very well and they plainly do state it was better than now. There was safety, rule of law and a functioning transport system and government facilities like clinics and schools and whatnot. The country was slowly on its way and reer miyi had their own properly separate and respected dhaqan that was more slowly transitioned and integrated into urban areas rather than being as fakhri and mooryaan as it is now.

Laagite

الداروودي
Bit of an exaggeration. Yes, some folks look at the life of the well-off of in Xamar and act like the whole country was living it up which wasn't true but I've listened to relatives, both very old and middle-aged, who remember the pre-civil war era in the gobols very well and they plainly do state it was better than now. There was safety, rule of law and a functioning transport system and government facilities like clinics and schools and whatnot. The country was slowly on its way and reer miyi had their own properly separate and respected dhaqan that was more slowly transitioned and integrated into urban areas rather than being as fakhri and mooryaan as it is now.
Nah I know what i'm talking about, Xamar almost 50% had no access to electricity only the quarter where colonialists lived had infrastructure if you go online and look up Xamar its the same 2 areas for a reason. All of Somalia isn't Shangani bro.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Nah I know what i'm talking about, Xamar almost 50% had no access to electricity only the quarter where colonialists lived had infrastructure if you go online and look up Xamar its the same 2 areas for a reason. All of Somalia isn't Shangani bro.

Saaxiib, I literally agreed with you. I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to pretend like the country was bad as it is now with no safety, security or real rule of law or actual central government with teeth while being looted by essentially gobol governors ("presidents") and having cultureless mooryaans pumped out by Khaleeji educated clerics swarm the magaalo all willy nilly.

@Hamzza

Very true, I was once sent to the trenches of qooryolay and to cleanse the house they'd get sticks from certain trees and burn it to ward off the jinns.

Trending