Somalis in the UK: The Need for Our Own Businesses

I think it’s time for Somalis in the UK to step up and create community-centered businesses. We rely too much on others who don’t respect us yet profit from us, especially in timo jileecs that show racism while cashing in on our community.

Why aren’t we starting our own supermarkets, car washes, beauty shops, restaurants, tutoring centers, care homes, and disability services? There’s a significant need, especially for Somali kids with special needs like non-verbal autism.

Many Somali businesses are targeted at us but aren’t up to standard. Most Somali restaurants aren’t great, and even Damal, praised by many, is owned by an Asian. Our cafes could also be cleaner. I recently went to a popular tutoring center for Somali families, run by non-Somalis, where Somali aunties clean to get a small discount on tuition fees. It’s heartbreaking.

Plus, I see Somali boys in my area standing on street corners selling drugs, wasting their potential. Meanwhile, youth spend money from fraud on worthless things when it could be invested back into our community.

I’m a student looking to start a businesses I know it’s , but when I talk about it, I get looked at like I’m crazy but it’s completely possible.

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
Do it more Somalis need to put down roots in west buy houses and start businesses it’s smart move. When you help yourself can you help others back home

Damal definitely isn’t owned by an Asian it’s HJ owned the family is well known.

You’re very right though, need to make sure people settle in the west reer yurub fly home too much, it’s been 30 years we know what it is, quit waiting just settle down and build a community. The only people who have done it successfully in UK are reer Cardiff/sheffield but they’ve been there for almost a century now.

Tiyeglow

A Laandheere always pays his debts
Reer UK are a few decades behind Reer USA. Its actually astonishing.

Minnesota:
- Charter schools
- Established Somali built, Somali run masjid / community center
- Clear imprint on the local economy
- Political representation

I do accept the argument that specifically London is a city which is global and too diverse to do what Somali diaspora did in MN however what about the other cities (Birmingham, Leicester, Sheffield, etc). Its really hard to pinpoint why honestly

Somalis in the UK have:

1.Tuition centers in fact they have a lot.
2.Plenty of restaurants: Damal, Savannah, Sabib and brothers to name a few.
3. There are plenty of care homes owned by Somalis to such an extent, i know they employ most Somali aunts.

This thread isn’t accurate AT all.

Last edited:

Keep it a boqol

All Praise Be To Allah In Every Situation!!!
VIP

Minnesota:
- Charter schools

I do accept the argument that specifically London is a city which is global and too diverse to do what Somali diaspora did in MN however what about the other cities (Birmingham, Leicester, Sheffield, etc). Its really hard to pinpoint why honestly
i’ve been to the uk, In somali areas there are loads of somali businesses, and tutoring centers.

they’re also competing with many communities who’ve had a stronghold in the uk for decades before huge influxes of somalis

Damal definitely isn’t owned by an Asian it’s HJ owned the family is well known.

You’re very right though, need to make sure people settle in the west reer yurub fly home too much, it’s been 30 years we know what it is, quit waiting just settle down and build a community. The only people who have done it successfully in UK are reer Cardiff/sheffield but they’ve been there for almost a century now.
Not true, there are more Somali run business in London than Cardiff. They’ve been there nearly a century and haven’t even done half of what Somalis have in London.

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
You must live under a rock or something.

From what i have read and seen. Somalis in the UK, especially in London are by far the most entrepreneurial in the European Somali diaspora.

Everything you mentioned safe for supermarkets (replace it with street corner shops and micro-malls) are businesses started by Somalis in the UK. Somalis have started many different restaurants and its practically littered with them, textile shops, care homes, tutoring centers, cafes, money transfers, call centers, various delivery services etc

There is also Somali wellness organization that deal with disabilities, like the Somali Disabled Support Project, Improving Somali Health Awareness etc . So thats also not true.

Also they don't seem to beg off the Asian community, when a Somali starts a buisiness they usually support one another the most and flock to eachothers businesses.

You can see on this chart from this study here that Somalis score the high in terms of support while Asians score low.

Business Communities in Britain
a9C16qJ.jpeg

When you mentioned drug dealing i could right away tell that you made this thread just to slander Somalis in the UK. You really expect some youths hanging out on a street corner are going to have enough capital to start physical businesses and take huge risks, that might make them lose that money if they even had some?

They shouldn't look to start a physical business , they should be given avenues for employment in regular jobs or extra curricular activites , most often they are brought in to the mosques or made to play soccer/football

Last edited:

Idilinaa

(Graduated)

Minnesota:
- Charter schools

Thats not accurate. Like someone else explained there are tutoring centers and charter schools aren't really a thing in the UK.

There is also many many mosques and community centers, follow this link you will see a whole list of them

Somali Community Hub​

We have over 200 Somali led community organisations, including 40 mosques, as members of the Council of Somali Organisations across 12 metropolitan cities.

There is also a clear imprint on the local economy in London , so that is also not true.

The Changing Face of Ethnic Minority Entrepreneurship in Britain

. For example in Southall, the heart of London’s Indian Sikh community, both Somali and Afghan enterprises have appeared. The Afghans occupy a number of large shops sub-divided into low-grade micro malls, mainly selling cheap clothing and household goods. The Somali businesses are on the southern fringe of the Southall shopping district; restaurants and cafés are the most prominent types of activities. In the 1980s, the premises currently occupied by Afghans and Somalis mainly accommodated Indian retailers

As far as political representation goes , there has been dozens of Somalis elected into political office as local councilors across cities.

Record number of Somalis elected as UK Councillors
London (HOL) - 26 Brits of Somali origin were elected as local councillors in cities across the UK on Thursday, setting a record number for the number Somali-Brits were elected into public office.

Last edited:

AbdiFreedom

For western occupation of Somalia|Trudeau4Prison
Staff Member
lol you lot are silly if you think they were just Internet cafes. Most were in fact currency dealers and in remittance such as Dahab shill ect. It’s money exchange that made them money. The Internet cafe was just an extra they didn’t need.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

They sold xalwo and drinks too

From what i have read and seen. Somalis in the UK, especially in London are by far the most entrepreneurial in the European Somali diaspora.

Everything you mentioned safe for supermarkets (replace it with street corner shops and micro-malls) are businesses started by Somalis in the UK. Somalis have started many different restaurants and its practically littered with them, textile shops, care homes, tutoring centers, cafes, money transfers, call centers, various delivery services etc

There is also Somali wellness organization that deal with disabilities, like the Somali Disabled Support Project, Improving Somali Health Awareness etc . So thats also not true.

Also they don't seem to beg off the Asian community, when a Somali starts a buisiness they usually support one another the most and flock to eachothers businesses.

You can see on this chart from this study here that Somalis score the high in terms of support while Asians score low.

a9C16qJ.jpeg

When you mentioned drug dealing i could right away tell that you made this thread just to slander Somalis in the UK. You really expect some youths hanging out on a street corner are going to have enough capital to start physical businesses and take huge risks, that might make them lose that money if they even had some?

They shouldn't look to start a physical business , they should be given avenues for employment in regular jobs or extra curricular activites , most often they are brought in to the mosques or made to play soccer/football

Wow mashallah rer uk i didnt know they were doing that good.

Keep it a boqol

All Praise Be To Allah In Every Situation!!!
VIP

a9C16qJ.jpeg

where’s africans and asians and caribbean’s?

Trending