Somalis kingdom and sultanates

Nin123

Hunted
VIP
There was couple of kingdom and sultanates before the European invasion so I will try name all of them.
Majerteen sultanate
Hobyo sultanate
Hiraab imaamate
Isaaq sultanate or Habar yunis sultanate
Galedi sultanate
Warsengali sultanate
And this is all the kingdoms before the European Invasion.

Nin123

Hunted
VIP
Hiirab imaamate apparently their leader was sheikh. I didn’t include the ajuran kingdom because the hiirab already conquered it and absorbed them.

Which is?
1728659775522.png

Hiirab imaamate apparently their leader was sheikh. I didn’t include the ajuran kingdom because the hiirab already conquered it and absorbed them.
1728662673910.jpeg

The remnants of the Ajuuraan state that survived till the colonial era include the Olol Dinle Sultanate of Qalaafe and Baareey. There is also the Sultanate or Qadiriyah Sheikhdom of Bardera led by Abdi Osman, which had been one of the early Italian protectorate signitaries.

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
There was couple of kingdom and sultanates before the European invasion so I will try name all of them.
Majerteen sultanate
Hobyo sultanate
Hiraab imaamate
Isaaq sultanate or Habar yunis sultanate
Galedi sultanate
Warsengali sultanate
And this is all the kingdoms before the European Invasion.
Gadabuursi Ughazate/kingdom is one of the oldest after the fall of Adal, and was responsible for pushing back the Oromo invasions.

In the early 1800s description of the country of Somalis i shared with you in another thread it describes political situation after the medieval collapse/decline as follows: The Country Of Somaulies

''For a century back, their power has been greatly reduced , and they are now divided into a number of smaller separate states''

Here is the actually break down. The different polities Somalis were separated into right before the European incursions.

City states:

Geledi of Afgooye( although it did extend it's political influence, its primarily centered in Afgooye)

Gaaradate of Luuq

Emirate of Harar

Emirate of Bardheere

Other city states: Zayla, Berbera, Barawe, Mogadishu and Merka.

Sultanates:

Hobyo

Majerteen

Warsangeli

Tariqa Orders also called Jama'a

Darawish-Sahliyyah

Qadriyyah

Ahmadiyyah

The rest are actual chieftainships some on this thread have mentioned.

Last edited:
In the early 1800s description of the country of Somalis i shared with you in another thread it describes political situation after the medieval collapse/decline as follows: The Country Of Somaulies

''For a century back, their power has been greatly reduced , and they are now divided into a number of smaller separate states''

Here is the actually break down. The different polities Somalis were separated into right before the European incursions.

City states:

Geledi of Afgooye( although it did extend it's political influence, its primarily centered in Afgooye)

Gaaradate of Luuq

Emirate of Harar

Emirate of Bardheere

Other city states: Zayla, Berbera, Barawe, Mogadishu and Merka.

Sultanates:

Hobyo

Majerteen

Warsangeli

Tariqa Orders also called Jama'a

Darawish-Sahliyyah

Qadriyyah

Ahmadiyyah

If you bring it back to late 1600s you could probably include Emirate of Awsa among the city states, before a coalition of Afar & Ottoman Yemenis nested control from us after a long bloody battle that also ended up destroying the beautiful city, with cannon fire.

The rest are actual chieftainships some on this thread have mentioned.

I wrote down a distinction in another thread between states and cheifdoms: Just so people understand the difference
States by default are non-clanal in the Somali case and in all cases. There was no clan states in any given time, not even the cities who's populations and clans were of diverse origins. Clan chieftainships are not states.

States are complex, centralized, and often bureaucratic entities with a formal legal system, social stratification, and a defined territory.
Divided into distinct social classes such as nobility, clergy, merchants, and commoners/peasants. Have a more diversified economy, including agriculture, trade, manufacturing, and services.
They have administrating officials , ministers, judges, governors, secrataries etc.
States also collect taxes or tribute to support the government, military, and other state functions. They have formal institutions, such as laws, courts, and professional military forces.

Chiefdoms are simpler, with authority vested in a single leader who governs based on kinship/lineage and tradition, with less formal social stratification and economic complexity. There are no real social clases other than the chief and their family or close allies at the top. the economy is usually simpler and more focused on subsistence agriculture or pastoralism.
Cheifs neither collect taxes or tributes but redistributes resources and goods to maintain power and ensure the well being of their community.

Trending