Somalis protesting in 1963 in NYC

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
I remember a user here speaking about how their family lived in america before civil war

EritreanPost_

EritreanPost πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡―πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΄πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡¬ |Eritrean news blogger
Somali civil rights movement

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
NYC Somalis were truly an important trail blazing community. They represented the first African immigrant community and the first Muslim immigrant group to America, the earliest of whom arrived as sailors and merchants as early as 1905 and they built MTA subway stations like Jamaica Stn and layed down the railroads. Then opened up various businesses and markets.

It is important to underscore this, because New York subway stations are like landmarks and it's the most iconic financial center in America, Somalis were part of making of that story and paved the way for all other African and Muslim immigrants that came after them.

NYC Somalis were truly an important trail blazing community. They represented the first African immigrant community and the first Muslim immigrant group to America, the earliest of whom arrived as sailors and merchants as early as 1905 and they built MTA subway stations like Jamaica Stn and layed down the railroads. Then opened up various businesses and markets.

It is important to underscore this, because New York subway stations are like landmarks and it's the most iconic financial center in America, Somalis were part of making of that story and paved the way for all other African and Muslim immigrants that came after them.
Too bad all our past achievements came to null. Hardly anyone in nyc even knows this, to top it all there's no real somali population in nyc. If we were only as influential today as we were in the past but I guess some things werent written.

What businesses and markets did they establish in the early days ? I heard the little Senegal area used to be dominated by Somalis

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
Too bad all our past achievements came to null. Hardly anyone in nyc even knows this, to top it all there's no real somali population in nyc. If we were only as influential today as we were in the past but I guess some things werent written.

That's not true its recorded history and the people who came after them know, it's baked into the areas they used to live in and the small remaining Somali population that lives on is evidence of it.

They left their mark that is felt to this day.

Last edited:

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
What businesses and markets did they establish in the early days ? I heard the little Senegal area used to be dominated by Somalis

From what i read it was Gas/Fuel stations, delis, restaurant, textile shops and community centers etc . Some of them worked in the import export, importing stuff from Somalia even.

Most of them ended up shutting down in late 2000s after the civil war led to migration shifts

If it wasn't for the civil war , there might have been a self sustaining Somali enclave, or little Mogadishu,, as it is in cedar rivers side . Like there is a China Town in New York today.

Trending