Somaliweyn is the same size as Europe

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Wrong. The land was never dusty. Even the Sahara was green until nomads went there. Don't be ignorant. Our land has damaged soil because of tree cutting over many years for charcoal and firewood and overgrazing.

The land was green until we damaged the soil and dried up the aquifers. What are you on about? Have you even read any research on ancient east Africa? Hell there is evidence to support the fact that the land was much greener 100yrs ago when the British arrived.

Go and read up brother. Learn our shame and ignorance. We humans destroy land.

:gucciwhat:

Sure we made it a lot less greener but our tiny population wouldn't have been able to turn 1 million sq km into arid land.

Learn about basic earth sciences before you proclaim someone ignorant...

Rain shadow from Ethiopia was always there and the monsoon had been sucking moisture away from Somalia for millions of years.

Do you really think we picked up pastoralism out of the blue?

This shit was always like this or we wouldn't have been able to destroy the little green we had through those retarded goats we raise.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Sure we made it a lot less greener but our tiny population wouldn't have been able to turn 1 million sq km into arid land.

Learn about basic earth sciences before you proclaim someone ignorant...

Rain shadow from Ethiopia was always there and the monsoon had been sucking moisture away from Somalia for millions of years.

Do you really think we picked up pastoralism out of the blue?

This shit was always like this or we wouldn't have been able to destroy the little green we had through those retarded goats we raise.
Most of somali galbeed and SL was suitable for farmland and growing forests, much like the sahara desert and arabia.

The land cycled over millions of year through arid-fertile periods. Besides stop focusing on the past and focus on the present, we can restore soil, grow all kinds of food and plant forests ourselves.

I'm not knocking you, but you have not presented one piece of empirical evidence that the horn was always dry "in EVERY REGION" at all points in history.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Most of somali galbeed and SL was suitable for farmland and growing forests, much like the sahara desert and arabia.

The land cycled over millions of year through arid-fertile periods. Besides stop focusing on the past and focus on the present, we can restore soil, grow all kinds of food and plant forests ourselves.

I'm not knocking you, but you have not presented one piece of empirical evidence that the horn was always dry "in EVERY REGION" at all points in history.

There are barely any papers on the long term climate change in Somalia but the there is plenty of research that goes into the impact of rain shadows in deserts.

You just need to look at historic records of comparable areas like the Tibetian plateau or the Andes mountain range.

North Somalia might have been greener last century but not to the extent that the majority were able to take up farming or most clans wouldn't have left our homeland there.

North Somalia has a similar climate as huge chunks of the Galbeed where there are high enough mountains that could induce rain.

However it's limited by the overall moisture of the local Troposphere.

In regards to the future:

Had this idea that might help us make our soil more fertile and create more rainfall over a short period of time while employing and feeding all of us.

1. We create food processing factories that take raw produce and turn it into processed foods that have a higher value and could be exported to local and international markets. I.e. supermarket products.

I.e. Kenyan strawberries into jam, Ethiopian potatoes to frozen fries etc.

Turn $200/ton produce into a $1/kg finished goods.

2. We sign revenue/production sharing deals with farmers and landowners on the East African coast where we take their surplus harvests or whole stock, ship it to the production base on the Somalia coast.

3. We then pay those farms back with a certain percentage of our production that they can export themselves or a revenue share model where we market and sell the products and share the revenue.

4. We use our share to provide Somalia with a cheap source of food and employ hundreds of thousands directly and indirectly.

5. Finally... We take the plant waste products from the factories, reprocess them as fertilizers and mix it with our soil. 1 million tons of this plant matter could be used to fertilize over 100,000 hectares.

We then add drought resistant local seeds and the inconsistent rainfall we're already getting should be enough for huge chunks of lands to start greening.

100,000 hectares might seem tiny (1,000 square km) but it should have a domino effect of slowing increasing the rain fall over time.

Lack of water is a huge issue but we have a bigger problem... Crappy soil that barely holds onto any water.

If we fix that we'll be miles towards where we want to be and fortunately this isn't that hard to solve.

Just need resources and the business model above should be able to pay for it and solve our economic woes.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
There are barely any papers on the long term climate change in Somalia but the there is plenty of research that goes into the impact of rain shadows in deserts.

You just need to look at historic records of comparable areas like the Tibetian plateau or the Andes mountain range.

North Somalia might have been greener last century but not to the extent that the majority were able to take up farming or most clans wouldn't have left our homeland there.

North Somalia has a similar climate as huge chunks of the Galbeed where there are high enough mountains that could induce rain.

However it's limited by the overall moisture of the local Troposphere.

In regards to the future:

Had this idea that might help us make our soil more fertile and create more rainfall over a short period of time while employing and feeding all of us.

1. We create food processing factories that take raw produce and turn it into processed foods that have a higher value and could be exported to local and international markets. I.e. supermarket products.

I.e. Kenyan strawberries into jam, Ethiopian potatoes to frozen fries etc.

Turn $200/ton produce into a $1/kg finished goods.

2. We sign revenue/production sharing deals with farmers and landowners on the East African coast where we take their surplus harvests or whole stock, ship it to the production base on the Somalia coast.

3. We then pay those farms back with a certain percentage of our production that they can export themselves or a revenue share model where we market and sell the products and share the revenue.

4. We use our share to provide Somalia with a cheap source of food and employ hundreds of thousands directly and indirectly.

5. Finally... We take the plant waste products from the factories, reprocess them as fertilizers and mix it with our soil. 1 million tons of this plant matter could be used to fertilize over 100,000 hectares.

We then add drought resistant local seeds and the inconsistent rainfall we're already getting should be enough for huge chunks of lands to start greening.

100,000 hectares might seem tiny (1,000 square km) but it should have a domino effect of slowing increasing the rain fall over time.

Lack of water is a huge issue but we have a bigger problem... Crappy soil that barely holds onto any water.

If we fix that we'll be miles towards where we want to be and fortunately this isn't that hard to solve.

Just need resources and the business model above should be able to pay for it and solve our economic woes.
Don't forget planting trees. I've started my own date farm and planted various other trees to experiment.

The soil i restored with my own compost mix, but you can achieve similar results with hard work and determination. The problem is that while the land can be reforested and restored easily in a few decades, the ppl are not willing to work hard yet.

I want somalis to practice agroforestry as it will help to reforest dry parts, while the trees help to keep the aquifers refilled and the land soil healthy.

I don't believe ti when ppl blame our land and say it can't grow shit. I'm literally working on a family farm in my spare time when i visit back home and get my cousins actively involved. The land is repairable, the mindset of the ppl is what needs to be changed.

This is my small farm in sool. Soon i will expand it. I have a plot my uncle gave me in sanaag but sanaag's soil is very blessed and too easy to farm on. Both sides of my family i'm getting into farming and environmental work. We must plant 1 billion trees and mountain cedars in the mountains by 2040. We have a lot of work to do but i hate ppl who just complain. We gotta be positive bro.

1590189394860.png
1590189591093.png

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
restored easily in a few decades, the ppl are not willing to work hard yet.

You can't rely on people donating their time for environmentalism if most aren't willing to exercise for their own health.

That's why I came up with the business model above that pays for all of it and creates countless of jobs...

Otherwise we'll need to pay for the soil fertilizers out of our own pockets and somehow get Somalis to spend tens of millions of hours in aggregate trying to green the country.

With my plan the resources used are free and the time spent would be paid for by the business model.

You don't create economic incentives; nothing gets done.

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
there are ways to get entire fields lush again. all we need is water aka irrigation and flora seeds.

we can build tunnels and a recycle plant. first the build tunnels from the coast to the designated farm lands with an water recycle plant to ensure good quality water for the crops.

develop special hoses that irrigate the fields with water drawn from the tunnels.

fly over the irrigated fields over time with drones dropping seeds and there you have it folks.

and semi arid piece of land turned lush green once again.

dependent on the size of the piece of land we can adjust or reduce the blueprint.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
we can build tunnels and a recycle plant. first the build tunnels from the coast to the designated farm lands with an water recycle plant to ensure good quality water for the crops.

Pumping water for miles is Uber expensive. It's something like a dollars per ton per mile for highly efficient pump systems.

If you just want to rely on gravity to move ocean water through a canal then you'll need to pump up the water at the end. 100 miles from the coast the elevation rises to 300 meters above sea level.

That would be an expensive bill; especially if it's millions of tons of water.

Tunnels are also extremely expensive even with cheap construction labor.

Water desalination costs $3/cubic meter with the most efficient systems.

You need at least 1,000 tons of water to irrigate just a single acre.

Probably a lot more in places where there's more evaporation like arid land.

If you want to actually cultivate something with a decent yield you'll need at least 10,000 tons.

This is why there's nothing like it in the world. If it was feasible then some "well meaning" cadaan would've implemented it long ago in return for our mineral rights.

fly over the irrigated fields over time with drones dropping seeds and there you have it folks.

If you just want to seed 10% of Somalia that would add up to 60,000 sq km of land or 60 billion square meters....

You'll need close to a million drones unfortunately.

There's a chance that some insect might come that would eat the seed and then shit it out deeper under the ground.

However most would just lay above ground and never sprout and probably dry out within a week.

Some great out of the box ideas so I'm giving you an 11/10 for the attempt :mjkkk:

Nah seriously, it's definitely one of the most scalable ideas I read on here... Just the costs wouldn't make it viable unless we had some ultra cheap energy source like fusion and automation.

However seeing that you're so thinking the right way I'm sure you'll figure out a idea that's both economical and scalable soon.

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
Pumping water for miles is Uber expensive. It's something like a dollars per ton per mile for highly efficient pump systems.

If you just want to rely on gravity to move ocean water through a canal then you'll need to pump up the water at the end. 100 miles from the coast the elevation rises to 300 meters above sea level.

That would be an expensive bill; especially if it's millions of tons of water.

Tunnels are also extremely expensive even with cheap construction labor.

Water desalination costs $3/cubic meter with the most efficient systems.

You need at least 1,000 tons of water to irrigate just a single acre.

Probably a lot more in places where there's more evaporation like arid land.

If you want to actually cultivate something with a decent yield you'll need at least 10,000 tons.

This is why there's nothing like it in the world. If it was feasible then some "well meaning" cadaan would've implemented it long ago in return for our mineral rights.

If you just want to seed 10% of Somalia that would add up to 60,000 sq km of land or 60 billion square meters....

You'll need close to a million drones unfortunately.

There's a chance that some insect might come that would eat the seed and then shit it out deeper under the ground.

However most would just lay above ground and never sprout and probably dry out within a week.

Some great out of the box ideas so I'm giving you an 11/10 for the attempt :mjkkk:

Nah seriously, it's definitely one of the most scalable ideas I read on here... Just the costs wouldn't make it viable unless we had some ultra cheap energy source like fusion and automation.

However seeing that you're so thinking the right way I'm sure you'll figure out a idea that's both economical and scalable soon.

the idea was meant for sanaag not the entire country.

well let's just use the flood waters to irrigate sanaag, and protect that land from grazing livestock.

we need greenery the semi arid soil just adds to the headache one receives from the hot sun and wind.

and i need a place to start my ranch.

Look at all that rich, fertile land
ChiefObedientImpala-small.gif

Most of Europe look like this, wallahi what I'd do to have all of Somalia look like this :banderas:
512px-Vineyards_in_Piemonte%2C_Italy.jpg
Jubaland is fertile and green with the Jubariver. Jubaland size 110k km2 the same size as Bulgaria the 16 biggest country in Europe