Starting a Business in Somalia: Safety Concerns?

I was planning to start a farming business with greenhouses, plus a fishing dock since I have land near the coast, and a logistics warehouse. I’ve got the funds from my mum and savings, and was aiming to launch this summer. But after hearing about that woman who was gunned down in Somalia for teaching farming, I’m honestly terrified. Now I’m thinking I’ll have to wear a niqab, carry a gun, and pretend to be married to a local just to stay safe. Anyone else dealing with similar fears?

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
Many have already died from trying to develop their respective regions, just let it go and do something better with your money its not worth it getting killed over petty qabiil nonsense by savages back home.

Hilmaam

Let him cook
VIP
Why not start business first in country your in? At least in west you can write business plan, get mentorship and work in industry your interested in, get a bank loan and grants, security and justice system. If you can’t make it in west you will definitely not make it on your merits back home.

This Somalia business your dreaming of is unrealistic , focus on something attainable and start grinding. Once your established funnel some of your earnings back home and mentor people back home. You sound young build slowly

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
I judge how safe some place is in the horn by how far it is from Djibouti.
This one is iffy, didn't they have lascaanood conflict in that region?
Screenshot_20241023_193203_Maps.jpg

Why not start business first in country your in? At least in west you can write business plan, get mentorship and work in industry your interested in, get a bank loan and grants, security and justice system. If you can’t make it in west you will definitely not make it on your merits back home.

This Somalia business you’re dreaming of is unrealistic , focus on something attainable and start grinding. Once your established funnel some of your earnings back home and mentor people back home. You sound young build slowly

This Somalia business your dreaming of is unrealistic , focus on something attainable and start grinding. Once your established funnel some of your earnings back home and mentor people back home. You sound young build slowly
You’re right about the advantages of starting a business in the West, like the access to mentorship, bank loans, and a structured legal system. However, agriculture here is mostly dominated by older white generations, and the cost of land would eat up most of my budget. I already have a mentor, a business plan, and I’m actively looking to volunteer on local farms to gain more experience. In Somalia, a woman is offering to sell land to my family, which makes starting a business there more feasible than building one from scratch. Plus, having something in my name and setting up near where my mum wants to retire makes this an appealing long-term plan.

Nin123

Hunted
VIP
I was planning to start a farming business with greenhouses, plus a fishing dock since I have land near the coast, and a logistics warehouse. I’ve got the funds from my mum and savings, and was aiming to launch this summer. But after hearing about that woman who was gunned down in Somalia for teaching farming, I’m honestly terrified. Now I’m thinking I’ll have to wear a niqab, carry a gun, and pretend to be married to a local just to stay safe. Anyone else dealing with similar fears?
You could do it fam don’t be discouraged and man up.

Pastoralist

Dhib marku wah nokdo, Isku tiirsada
VIP
I judge how safe some place is in the horn by how far it is from Djibouti.
This one is iffy, didn't they have lascaanood conflict in that region?
View attachment 346245
There’s no conflict in Lascanood currently it has the toughest security in northern Somalia besides parts of PL

bari is safe

Sanaag is safe too despite that minor buuq with horgals killing that PL business owner near cerigaabo.

Trending