HISTORY The Most Influential Writer in Germany's History and Some of His Praise of Prophet Muhammad ﷺ

'Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was a German polymath and writer, who is widely regarded as the greatest and most influential writer in the German language. His work has had a profound and wide-ranging influence on Western literary, political, and philosophical thought from the late 18th century to the present day. '

But did you know that amongst other things he wrote a whole poem/song in praise of the Prophet ﷺ called Mahomet's Gesangﷺ

It's interesting how the Western historical portrayal of the prophet Muhammad pbuh has come full circle.

In the early middle ages western/european writings potray him negatively as a heretic ,a monstrosity but by the 18th century the descriptions and portrayals of Muhammad was mostly positive. Some European writers even viewed Muhammad as a ''saint'' only in comparison with the pope. Fascinated by him described him as a champion of reform, heroic, genius and example of devotion. Others viewed him as a great lawmaker.

Napoleon for example saw him as a role model , a brilliant general, orator and leader

In the western historical literature, Mohammad has worn many faces because he has acted as a mirror for those who wrote about him and the circumstances and times they lived in.

Wolfgang was very familiar with islam and. Especially sufism. In one of his books he writes
Whether the quran is of eternity?
I don't ask that question.
Whether the quran is manmade?
I don't know.
That it is the book of books,
I believe out of muslim responsibility.
But that wine is of eternity,
I don't question that.
Or that it is made by angles,
Is maybe also not a poem [made up?].
The person who drinks, however it may be,
Gazes fresher into god's eyes.

If you're vaguely familiar with sufi poetry this loaded with common motifs that poets use. He is also refrences one of fhe major early islamic theological debates about if the quran was created or not. I don't know if actually became a Muslim. But he definitely had a deep knowledge about islam.

Wolfgang was very familiar with islam and. Especially sufism. In one of his books he writes
Whether the quran is of eternity?
I don't ask that question.
Whether the quran is manmade?
I don't know.
That it is the book of books,
I believe out of muslim responsibility.
But that wine is of eternity,
I don't question that.
Or that it is made by angles,
Is maybe also not a poem [made up?].
The person who drinks, however it may be,
Gazes fresher into god's eyes.

If you're vaguely familiar with sufi poetry this loaded with common motifs that poets use. He is also refrences one of fhe major early islamic theological debates about if the quran was created or not. I don't know if actually became a Muslim. But he definitely had a deep knowledge about islam.
I believe he was. There are several verbatim statements where he says that Prophet Muhammad was a Prophet ﷺ . So he has the two points of the Shahadah. He affirmed that the Qur'an is divine revelation and believed in the Day of Judgement, the previous scriptures, angels and the unseen, qadr and qada, etc.

He was even accused of being Muslim but declined to deny that he is. He also apparently hated the concept of the trinity and the cross.

I believe he was. There are several verbatim statements where he says that Prophet Muhammad was a Prophet ﷺ . So he has the two points of the Shahadah. He affirmed that the Qur'an is divine revelation and believed in the Day of Judgement, the previous scriptures, angels and the unseen, qadr and qada, etc.

He was even accused of being Muslim but declined to deny that he is. He also apparently hated the concept of the trinity and the cross.
I've also hear about this too. But I rember reading somebody say he also had certain problems with the more legalistic aspects of sharia. Allahu 'alam if he did. But it would be amazing if one of the greatest german intellectuals was a secret muslim

Trending

Latest posts