The treatment of women as sex objects in the Christian west

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and yes (although I don't what your definition of feminist is). And why would you need those qs answered 'first'?
I'm only going to talk about the somali culture and yes our culture is sexist any diffrent way. but also the west Is sexist too sometimes even worse than us unless you think prostituation ography and the sexual objectification of women is not bad thing

I'm only going to talk about the somali culture and yes our culture is sexist any diffrent way. but also the west I sexist too sometimes even worse than us unless you think prostituation ography and the sexual objectification of women is not bad thing

I agree that both can and are sexist. I wouldn't group ography and sexual objectification together with prostitution, but on the whole, the circumstances are what tip them into the dangerous area of sexism. I think when there is a lack of choice on the part of the women who go into sex industry that is a problem and is sexism, but there are many women who feel empowered by it and choose it.

I agree that both can and are sexist. I wouldn't group ography and sexual objectification together with prostitution, but on the whole, the circumstances are what tip them into the dangerous area of sexism. I think when there is a lack of choice on the part of the women who go into sex industry that is a problem and is sexism, but there are many women who feel empowered by it and choose it.
You're so cought up with white women feminism you started talking about white women and balayu laga raniin being empowerd by ography like maxa ka gali?
Somali women are facing diffrent kind of problems and importing white feminism to them isn't going to help them.

You're so cought up with white women feminism you started to talking about women being empowerd by ography like maxa ka gali?
Somali women are facing diffrent kind of problems and importing white feminism to them isn't going to help them.

The entire thread is centred around the treatment of women in the 'christian west.' Why wouldn't I mention western women? That's the topic at hand.
Also to be specific, you stated 'also the west I sexist too sometimes even worse than us unless you think prostituation ography and the sexual objectification of women is not bad thing' so the west in its relation to prostitution, ography and sexual objectification is precisely what you were talking about and what I responded to. So why are you surprised?

I never said anything about importing 'white feminism'.

waraabe

Your superior
The western world and the muslim world are both massively varied, of course, so I guess we are just speaking generally. Do you want to concentrate on particular countries? To answer your q (and I would appreciate if you would answer mine), as I understand it, you are saying the west encourage women to dress in a certain way and that this is sexist/objectification. Many muslim countries do the same, except with a different dress code. In fact, some muslim countries have it down as legislation that women must dress in a particularly way. On the whole however, women are freerer to dress more conservatively in western society than they are to dress less conservatively in muslim societies. This too is sexist/objectification.

On legislation some western nations have on legislation that women must dress in a certain manner, case example France outlawed the wearing of niqab. I am guessing you are using Saudi Arabia as your example.

On legislation some western nations have on legislation that women must dress in a certain manner, case example France outlawed the wearing of niqab. I am guessing you are using Saudi Arabia as your example.

Western countries have a ton of restrictions on clothing, but they are mostly centred around nudity. The law related to niqab in france is an interesting case, as it is an outlier, and is more likely to be found in majority muslim countries like it is in azerbaijan.
There are other muslim countries as well. Their arch nemesis the iranians have a dress code and dress code police who enforce it on the street. Though in muslim countries there is more of a social pressue to observe hijab (this is not about those who choose, of course) than adherence to legislation. But I would argue this is just as detrimental to womens freedom to choose.

waraabe

Your superior
Western countries have a ton of restrictions on clothing, but they are mostly centred around nudity. The law related to niqab in france is an interesting case, as it is an outlier, and is more likely to be found in majority muslim countries like it is in azerbaijan.
There are other muslim countries as well. Their arch nemesis the iranians have a dress code and dress code police who enforce it on the street. Though in muslim countries there is more of a social pressue to observe hijab (this is not about those who choose, of course) than adherence to legislation. But I would argue this is just as detrimental to womens freedom to choose.
Let's put this issue to the side.

I have another proposition I would like you to examine

Women have to dress modest if they want to be taken seriously. Revealing their body demeans them, wgqtdo you think?

Let's put this issue to the side.

I have another proposition I would like you to examine

Women have to dress modest if they want to be taken seriously. Revealing their body demeans them, wgqtdo you think?

As with most things, there is not a hard and fast answer that will apply in all cases. If you 'want to be taken seriously' you would have to do more than dress a particular way, but you certainly do have to take into account the opinions of those whose respected you are trying to earn. If it is the norm in society to dress in a suit or a suitably covering dress at work, instead of v neck t-shirt with your favorite push up bra, it would be wise to take that into account if you 'want to be taken seriously'. On the flip side, it's probably best not to dress in a niqab and burqa if you 'want to be taken seriously' as, say, a lifeguard.
Basically, if you want to 'taken seriously', the correct thing to do would be to tailor your dress to the circumstance and the audience. If you don't particular care what a random stranger on the street thinks of you, just wear what ever you are comfortable with, as you really don't have control over what people think of you anyway.

@waraabe how can you complain of how the West treats women when your people force little girls to marry old men? And make them clean all day and deny them an education?

Women would rather be allowed the personal choice to wear a bikini than be forced to being some old man's sex toy.

The West is better than what you're offering. We don't want forced child marriages

How you go prison from someone murdering you?

200.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending