What are your favorite feminism phrases? #feminism

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I don't identify as a feminist but these quotes resonated with me..

The way my mother always explained it, the traditional man wants a woman to be subservient, but he never falls in love with subservient women. He's attracted to independent women. "He's like an exotic bird collector," she said. "He only wants a woman who is free because his dream is to put her in a cage.
Trevor Noah, Born a Crime

Most women cannot afford, either
materially or psychologically, to recognize that whatever burnt offerings of obedience they bring to beg protection will not appease
the angry little gods around them.
Andrea Dworkin, Right-Wing Women

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I listen to Meghan Markle's podcast - Archetypes and loved the theme song, I am Woman, and this poem Breath by Becky Hemsley

Sa_Male

Laba Gob Kii Beer Jilicsan Baa Jaba
I listen to Meghan Markle's podcast - Archetypes and loved the theme song, I am Woman, and this poem Breath by Becky Hemsley

Not to be intrusive but I always thought identifying oneself as just a "woman" seems quite strange.
If a man did the same I'd feel very weird but i feel we've been conditioned to see this as normal 🤔

IstarZ

A mere finger can’t obscure the sun.
"We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller, we say to girls, you can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful, otherwise you would threaten the man."

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Not to be intrusive but I always thought identifying oneself as just a "woman" seems quite strange.
If a man did the same I'd feel very weird but i feel we've been conditioned to see this as normal 🤔

You mean the song or the poem?
I am more than a woman of course but being a woman is part of my identity.

Sa_Male

You mean the song or the poem?
I am more than a woman of course but being a woman is part of my identity.
The song, sure, but normally things that are so blatantly obvious aren't spoken about in normal human spaces to the extent of even say 50yrs ago in terms of "I am a woman"
Also, the more aware you are of being something that's a fact and that you shouldn't worry about would only seek to push you away from things that aren't "feminine". You associate this new label as being positive, and like human nature, associate other things as negative.
Imo this is the basis and the lure of feminism.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
The song, sure, but normally things that are so blatantly obvious aren't spoken about in normal human spaces to the extent of even say 50yrs ago in terms of "I am a woman"
Also, the more aware you are of being something that's a fact and that you shouldn't worry about would only seek to push you away from things that aren't "feminine". You associate this new label as being positive, and like human nature, associate other things as negative.
Imo this is the basis and the lure of feminism.

The way I see it, we wouldn't think Black Americans whose ancestors faced slavery, being proud of their heritage as racist.

Historically, women were seen inferior to men (still happening in some parts of the world today). Some of us were exposed to these harmful teachings from a very young age. Although, we now know better, we still need these affirmations that celebrate our womanhood, to inspire us for the days we are feeling down 🙏

IstarZ

The full phrase being ‘dhexda xiro oo naag nool iska dhig’

Somali women have always been a formidable and courageous and at the same time not ashamed to embrace their femininity.

Sa_Male

The way I see it, we wouldn't think Black Americans whose ancestors faced slavery, being proud of their heritage as racist.

Historically, women were seen inferior to men (still happening in some parts of the world today). Some of us were exposed to these harmful teachings from a very young age. Although, we now know better, we still need these affirmations that celebrate our womanhood, to inspire us for the days we are feeling down 🙏
I understand this, in an ideal society affirmation based on gender isn't needed.
But I see that feminine affirmation nowadays does more bad than good due to too many normalising it going too far.
Women today need way less celebrating 🤦‍♂️
No hate btw 🙏

IstarZ

IMG_1477.png

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I understand this, in an ideal society affirmation based on gender isn't needed.
True.

But I see that feminine affirmation nowadays does more bad than good due to too many normalising it going too far.
Women today need way less celebrating 🤦‍♂️
No hate btw 🙏

Sorry but I disagree.

Affirmations create healthy self esteem. Our need to belong is the most important psychological need and what motivates alot of humans. Having a safe space where we can be vulnerable and empower each other is important for us women.

However, I can understand why you as a man might feel othered when exposed to these safe spaces. Think of it as this is something women do for them to heal.

Trending