What are your thoughts on Somalis from the Middle East? Aka “ciyaal casiir”

I’ve met a few Somalis who grew up in the UAE and Saudi and I like them for the most part, they are very classy, well educated and not ghetto whatsoever. I peep a bit of “ana arab” mentality with them though, probably because they speak the language.

What are your thoughts on this diaspora?

yh basically what you said. probably the best somali diaspora. that arabs see countries in the arab league as arab countries does not help with their ana arab mentality lol

Kisame

Plotting world domination
I’ve met a few Somalis who grew up in the UAE and Saudi and I like them for the most part, they are very classy, well educated and not ghetto whatsoever. I peep a bit of “ana arab” mentality with them though, probably because they speak the language.

What are your thoughts on this diaspora?

@Pastoralist @Angelina @Homerlilian

Awhile ago I saw a comment on reddit saying that some half somalis in the Gulf are a bit embarrassed of their Somali side because of racism they experienced. I've also seen a few Arabs dissing us a few times on tiktok and twitter. So now I'm a bit worried about young Somali youth living in arab areas.

Ever since I saw that comment I've been wondering what's life like for kids growing up in the Gulf.

Awhile ago I saw a comment on reddit saying that some half somalis in the Gulf are a bit embarrassed of their Somali side because of racism they experienced. I've also seen a few Arabs dissing us a few times on tiktok and twitter. So now I'm a bit worried about young Somali youth living in arab areas.

Ever since I saw that comment I've been wondering what's life like for kids growing up in the Gulf.

I understand cadan and madows to some extent but what business do these dhegacas have dissing us . We literally don’t beef with one another

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I hope that makes sense.

What is the difference between a Somali that speaks Arabic and a Black Saudi?

There is no reason why one can call themselves Arab and the other can’t. The modern definition of Arab is based on language and culture.

I am just being honest.

Last edited:

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP

You make my point for me abaayo. They are as far away, even further from carabnimo than an Arabic speaking Somali in the Gulf.

I am not saying they should consider themselves as such, but if you have been in the Middle East for generations as many Somalis have, you can speak the language, then I don’t see why it’s such a big deal.

It’s not like they’re pretending to be Chinese, it wouldn’t be that controversial if an Oromo speaking Somali that lived in Oromia for generations called themselves Oromo.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP

Another misconception Somalis in the West need to clear up is this.

Many of the Somalis that moved to the Gulf were Somalis that were already fluent in Arabic. Either they had Arab relatives or learnt Arabic growing up in Somalia (went to an Arabic language school).

There is a reason why they went to Middle East and not Europe. There is also a reason why many became wealthier than other diaspora because they didn’t have as long of an adjustment period.

Note: I am talking migrants to KSA, UAE not Yemen. I also said many not most.

For those Somalis, their kids will be even more attached to the Arab identity because for many of them, their families are native speakers of Arabic.

Trending

Latest posts