What does the future have in store for Mogadishu?

Since 2012, the status of the capital has long been disputed. The taxes collected from the city has been used to fund the FGS and not enough is being used to invest in social services as well as infrastructure in the city for its citizens. The maqaam of Banadir will be discussed in chapter 5 of the constitution and hopefully the outcome will be something that will benefit the region and the country. 1P1V should also be implemented in the city so locals can vote for the most competent candidate.

People there will never vote for someone competent. They will vote in, the guy who is from their qabil, so they can argue on Tiktok and social media who owns Xamar. Will a Habar Gidir vote in a competent Raxanweyn? Will a Raxanweyn vote in a competent Habar Gidir, will a Darood vote in a hawiye?

Thats how its done. The people are uneducated and the leaders reflect the people

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
Banadir will either be two things:
  1. The capital of the country and the seat of the government that lacks representation in both chambers of the parliament.
  2. A region that's part of the Hirshabelle or South West State after the capital had been moved to another designated area.

Hassan Garguute Buldanana

AUG 25, 2023
VIP
  1. The capital of the country and the seat of the government that lacks representation in both chambers of the parliament.
  2. A region that's part of the Hirshabelle or South West State after the capital had been moved to another designated area.
They want to retain their unukalism, representation, and keep capital status. Pretty much eat the majority of what's given in the name of Somalia while complaining about their taxes used by FGS. But you will never see one of them demand the capital moved.

They want to retain their unukalism, representation, and keep capital status. Pretty much eat the majority of what's given in the name of Somalia while complaining about their taxes used by FGS. But you will never see one of them demand the capital moved.
The capital will never be moved reer PLoow. We know those who advocate this and fortunately they have no power to.

Last edited:
I think xamar can work, but it has to basically become a brussels to EU type of city, where it’s ruled by only the FGS. Let them sort out everything in xamar and leave everyone else to their own devices.

It can still be the “official” government and do world tours but doesn’t exert any influence outside of the city.
I said this in a previous thread a couple of days back, I genuinely think it’s the only way.

Muqdisho is going to have to sacrifice for the greater good of Somalia. No one has trust in it anymore, the city has completely ruined the Somali name. It has its own problems which FGS should focus on sorting out, and leave everyone else to their own devices.

It also gets rid of excuses from certain regions who rely on FGS, and allows for everyone to build up their own areas.

What have other cities done to rectify Somalias reputation, care to give us a tangible answer?
Look at Khaatumo. This week they launched a VAT tax so they don't have to rely on any foreign aid.
Look at Puntland that this month had a succesful and peaceful 1P1V. Where even someone from Koonfuur Galbeed was elected.
These are major success and should be pride for any Somali.

I’m
At minimum 20% of the country’s population lives in Banaadir. It’s way too large to be treated like Washington DC. When Somalia eventually holds elections do you seriously believe that 20% of the country should have no say? This system is tenable for now because of 4.5 but it’s not a long-term solution nor will the capital be moved. Banaadir will become a state and if necessary the central districts which contain the parliament, villa Somalia, and other government facilities can become the new federal zone as a compromise.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Look at Khaatumo. This week they launched a VAT tax so they don't have to rely on any foreign aid.
Look at Puntland that this month had a succesful and peaceful 1P1V. Where even someone from Koonfuur Galbeed was elected.
These are major success and should be pride for any Somali.
VAT tax itself won’t be enough but its a great start. I wish well on reer Khaatumo. Same with Puntland.

However both of these states are financed mostly by foreign aid, 2nd being diaspora money. This goes for all of somaliweyn. Until someone stands by their own feet, they can’t boast. Gaalka xun is playing sugar daddy and then coming online to faan. Shameless.

VAT tax itself won’t be enough but its a great start. I wish well on reer Khaatumo. Same with Puntland.

However both of these states are financed mostly by foreign aid, 2nd being diaspora money. This goes for all of somaliweyn. Until someone stands by their own feet, they can’t boast. Gaalka xun is playing sugar daddy and then coming online to faan. Shameless.

Puntland is not mostly financed by foreign aid, that's completely false. Last time I checked Puntland's internal revenue was about $352 Million Dollars