What to expect in Dubai?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Yes the poster who said Somalis are treated well is right. I've a ghanian colleague who went to primary and secondary school in UAE, she said she was treated horrible, even though she is Muslim, the kids and some adults have been racist to her and her family but surprisingly the Somalis were treated better than the rest, infact they were treated better than foreign cadaan exchanged students. Stupid Somalis didn't help their fellow Muslim Africans though. Smh.

If you've big nose and West African feautures you will be treated badly tbh, which is sad. UAE Arabs are reer baadiye.
Yeah Somalis are pretty well liked in Dubai.
Maybe it's because of the fact that as a group they're viewed as an industrious and hard working minority over there? I know there are a fuckton of Somali businesses in the Deira area, Somalis basically own the Souq al Dahab.

Very racist place. I been there a few times but no more than 1-2 weeks each and every time I experienced a racist incident by the Emiratis. An Emirati call me "Somali" in a slur kind of way but I am vicious with the hairy beasts and I shut them down.

Also, there are Indians and Bangladeshis and Pakis everywhere, maybe more than half the population of the city is them. They are treated badly.

Dubai is what I call "Plastic City", everyone and everything is fake and everyone is into materialism. It's a city that sucks up to the West but they'll never be accepted by us.

Hierarchy in UAE

White
Emirati
Other GCC countries
Non white Western people
Latinos and East Asians
Non Arab Muslims (not including Africans)
African Muslims
Africans that aren't Muslim
South Asian

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Very racist place. I been there a few times but no more than 1-2 weeks each and every time I experienced a racist incident by the Emiratis. An Emirati call me "Somali" in a slur kind of way but I am vicious with the hairy beasts and I shut them down.

Also, there are Indians and Bangladeshis and Pakis everywhere, maybe more than half the population of the city is them. They are treated badly.

Dubai is what I call "Plastic City", everyone and everything is fake and everyone is into materialism. It's a city that sucks up to the West but they'll never be accepted by us.

Hierarchy in UAE

White
Emirati
Other GCC countries
Non white Western people
Latinos and East Asians
Non Arab Muslims (not including Africans)
African Muslims
Africans that aren't Muslim
South Asian
I agree with you about the plastic city thing but those racist incidents sound off, you probably caught the rare anti-Somali emirati.
Somalis are well respected in the UAE, they are decently respected and you might be confusing Dubai with Saudi Arabia or something :manny:
Your "hierarchy" thing is way off.

You will have fun! There are like millions of things to do in Dubai and everybody pretty much speaks English. Make sure you go to the dessert safari!

Bohol

VIP
UAE is like mini India/Pakistan, south Asians everywhere. The only place you
will see actual Emiratis is when you land in the airport. However nowadays there
is lots of Levant Arabs(Syrians, Lebanese, Palestinians etc) who make up a big
community in Sharjah. UAE is bi-lingual, they use English as well so you will
be fine.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
UAE is like mini India/Pakistan, south Asians everywhere. The only place you will see actual Emiratis is when you land in the airport. However nowadays there is lots of Levant Arabs(Syrians,
Lebanese, Palestinians etc) who make up a big community in Sharjah.
There are massive numbers of South Asians in the Gulf, the only country in the Arabian Peninsula that doesn't really have a sizeable population of Asians is Yemen, and that's probably because of how shitty a state it's in.
If it was a first world country like Saudi Arabia, no doubt it would be packed with them :manny:

Bohol

VIP
There are massive numbers of South Asians in the Gulf, the only country in the Arabian Peninsula that doesn't really have a sizeable population of Asians is Yemen, and that's probably because of how shitty a state it's in.
If it was a first world country like Saudi Arabia, no doubt it would be packed with them :manny:

South Asians are alright people in UAE. They will chauffeur you around in air conditioned taxis while they
tell you about their lives back in Pakistan :lol: .

:snoop:
Unfortunately this is where my first trip out of the country will be and I'd like to know what to expect before I leave.
:francis:
What should I expect from this backwards "westernized" gilded city in the desert. Can you get by without speaking Arabic? Do you have to wear a hijab in public. Are there a lot of Somalis in Dubai?

If only Chris Brown didn't back out of that fight with Soulja Boy witnessing that fight would've been worth it.
:mjlol:
been there few times when i was young. its like most middle eastern countries except maybe less boring (Maybe even AMAZING if you got money), you can wear whatever you want and let your hair fly free. most people know english but you'll get buy with broken arabic, no hijab or abaya required but don't go out in mini skirts and have your whole boob out. its still very conservative and people will stare and judge. you won't get any racism per say, so your good on that department. there are tons of somalis, you'll find them in the suuqs selling shit all the time. they are hella nice to their own and give discounts.

UAE is like mini India/Pakistan, south Asians everywhere. The only place you
will see actual Emiratis is when you land in the airport. However nowadays there
is lots of Levant Arabs(Syrians, Lebanese, Palestinians etc) who make up a big
community in Sharjah. UAE is bi-lingual, they use English as well so you will
be fine.

I liked Sharjah. It's more quiet and relaxing compared to Dubai.

The weather is pretty fine in the winter. I think the most spoken language in UAE is English, then Urdu or Hindi ,followed by Arabic. The locals makes up less than 20% of the population. You will probably see a south Asian wherever you go most of the times. You will also find a lot Arabs from these countries Egypt, Syria, Iraq and Lebanon. These three cities, Dubai,Sharjah and Ajman, are so close to each other such that you can travel from Ajman and go through Sharjah to Dubai in 20-30 minutes if there is no traffic. There is always traffic at certain times everyday on the way from Dubai to Sharjah. Usually in the morning and at night when employers travel to and from work in Dubai. Ajman is the most quite and boring city of all these three cities. You can have lots of fun in Dubai if you have the money. And I do have to agree at some point, Dubai is somehow a bit plastic. The way the government has designated the way of living for the labour workers is appalling to me. They calculate your wage according to how much you will get in your own country. So a person from USA will have a much higher salaryme than a person from Pakistan doing the same job.

And don't make any offensive comments about the country or it's locals or have fights with them , otherwise they might deport you.

Not all South Asians in UAE are migrant labourers. There are plenty that are white collar workers and along with Persians were some of the earliest traders in the country, when its main trading links were with the East.

This naturalized Indian guy is one of the wealthiest retailers in the country.

645355165.jpg

In Dubai itself a big percentage of Emiratis are naturalized Persians. For example this guy is the UAEs Deputy Foreign Minister ( not often senior posts are given to non-royals). He is from a Persian trading family that has been in Dubai since 19th century.

uae-51574.jpg

http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/articles/pages/5682/Gargash-Anwar.html

You guys make a little pit-stop in the city on your weigh to Somalia and write historical analysis of the city :russ:

Somalis are treated generally well in the UAE, because theyve been around for a while. But it also depends on class. There are many newer migrants who are there with tahriib ambitions or for precarious work and I doubt their reviews would be glowing. In general how you are treated in Dubai greatly associates with class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending