Where does the deplorable culture of having housemaids despite being poor come from?

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
We had one when i lived in Djibouti. But tbf it was a very large house we were renting during our stay there. I was the oldest sibling and only 11 12~ so we couldn't possible keep it all clean. If I lived in a 1-2 story house I wouldn't have a maid at all. It's not the norm for my extended family too and I've stayed at many houses in Djibouti.

Nah the only people who have maids in somalia are diaspora or wealthy. Even my family members back home never had a maid. Maybe 5 % of famlies have a maid.

When i was in Egypt our extended family that live there had a Maid, and she would come by at around noon help my aunt with cooking and cleaning and leave.

So i am assuming they are treated like an extra hand. I don't really see it as adoonsi replacement, i see it as a pathway for employment opportunities for those who have less, so that they can earn money.

Among Arabs it's treated differently, maids are not a helping hand or path of some employment scheme , it really is a replacement for adoonsi.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts