Why do American Somalis have FOB accents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Your language is whatever language you feel most comfortable speaking.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Your language is whatever language you feel most comfortable speaking.
You don't see Chinese Americans ridiculing their countrymen from China for speaking bad English, why do Somalis use English as a measuring point for intelligence?

Terms like FOB, freshie etc are just self hate a FOB is better than someone who doesn't know his own native language.

Duchess

VIP
You don't see Chinese Americans ridiculing their countrymen from China for speaking bad English, why do Somalis use English as a measuring point for intelligence?

Terms like FOB, freshie etc are just self hate a FOB is better than someone who doesn't know his own native language.

If you're in an English speaking country, you should learn to speak the language properly. This isn't Somalia.:camby:

Chinese people do ridicule freshies.

a FOB is better than someone who doesn't know his own native language.
:umad:

If you're in an English speaking country, you should learn to speak the language properly. This isn't Somalia.:camby:

I do agree that strong language skills are important but I think the whole FOB/freshie thing is a bit like self-hate. And mostly the word is used to describe new immigrants, not people that were born and raised in the west.

Duchess

VIP
I agree. I don't even use the term irl. I only use it online to irritate people like @bandit (a self-hating freshie).

Bandit does type like a freshie. He was probably too busy practicing shukansi when he should have been studying. :francis:

z3zrULC You really are a troll.

Somali Americans that grew up in the States are really weird, they all have an accent that is somewhat like ebonics but not quite there, still sound pretty fobbish. Somalis in Canada and UK manage to adopt jamaican patois english better than Somali americans adopt ebonics.

That being said, those that grew up in White neighborhoods tend to speak "properly"

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
Y'all know where I'm from / 0-1 to the 2-1

:ohhhdamn:

Why is the 0121 the most dirty city in UK? I once came out of New Street and the qashin laying around the place was unbelievable. Then I went to Alumn Rock and madaxa baan qabsaday walahi. The place smells, full of dirt, full of South Asians. People were just throwing food waste outside on the street.

My theory is that cos it's full of Indians and Pakis.

I went to Liverpool and Nottingham as well and in those cities the main inhabitants are white people and black people, and the streets are super clean, it doesn't smell, and it's very pleasant.

TL;DR - don't move to a city full of Indians and Pakis. It'll inevitably be full of dirt and smell of shit.

Edit. I was supposed to @ @KXNG actually, not @ciddhartha . Sorry man.

Status
Not open for further replies.