Why do somali women blame FGM on men?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately there has been a rise on the number of somali women who blame FGM on somali men. Majority of the ones throwing blames on men are feminist wannabes who have no deep understanding of the issue. When infact this has always a female to female issue.

Within the context of somali culture it's women who have always been the propagators of FGM and their reason was simply that the extra flops on the genitalia is unattractive to men probably out of ignorance (ask your ayeeyos) while few said it helps to prevent promiscuity.

The one doing the cut is a female and her victim is another female. The ones attending the ceremony and dancing are females too so where do men fit in this?

Last edited:
It's an old cultural practice performed by women on women. If the girl is not circumcised, women would mock her. It has nothing to do with Somali men but these airheads are trying to jump on the whole feminist "patriarchy" bandwagon. Expecting originality from a Xaliimo is like expecting chastity from a .

EternalLightX

Queen of the light
VIP
Fgm is a brain wasting ideology based on society and their perceptions towards over sexualised women. The fear women have on being called a is enough for them to mutilate themselves. The notion of chastity and the purity of women is what encourages barbaric practices such as FGM to be deemed acceptable. Clitrodectomy was not long practiced by the British in the era where women who behaved like independent and critical thinkers were labelled 'hysterical' thus such practice were deemed acceptable. Similarly the Romans would mutilate slaves by placing rings in the Labia minora to inhibit outside sexual encounters of their possessions. Consequently Female sexuality has always been controlled by society, female sexuality will always be something to be feared off as a result many society practiced many forms of self control, sadly it is always women who these practices are encouraged on.

It is done to insure that the girl stays a virgin. Somalis, both female and male, have this foolish notion that an uncircumcised women is more likely to turn into a . So you could say mrriageablity is a main reason for the practice in Somalia, I was told a girl without fgm was less likely to get married.

Even the act itself is done in a way so men can experience more pleasure doing the first night. It's vile

Sorry but the whole practice itself centers around men so claiming innocence now is a bit disingenuous

It's an old cultural practice performed by women on women. If the girl is not circumcised, women would mock her. It has nothing to do with Somali men but these airheads are trying to jump on the whole feminist "patriarchy" bandwagon. Expecting originality from a Xaliimo is like expecting chastity from a .

Lol are u seriously trying to say that fgm isn't patriarchal? Fgm is patriarchy incarnate

It is done to insure that the girl stays a virgin. Somalis, both female and male, have this foolish notion that an uncircumcised women is more likely to turn into a . So you could say mrriageablity is a main reason for the practice in Somalia, I was told a girl without fgm was less likely to get married.

Even the act itself is done in a way so men can experience more pleasure doing the first night. It's vile

Sorry but the whole practice itself centers around men so claiming innocence now is a bit disingenuous

Lol are u seriously trying to say that fgm isn't patriarchal? Fgm is patriarchy incarnate

Shift the blame on to men because you want that sweet feminist platform. Nobody's buying your bullshit.:siilaanyolaugh:

Shift the blame on to men because you want that sweet feminist platform. Nobody's buying your bullshit.:siilaanyolaugh:

Do u even know what patriarchal means? :cosbyhmm:

No one is disputing the old ladies perpetrating this but to say u have no hand in it at all is a bit disconcerting

Fgm is a brain wasting ideology based on society and their perceptions towards over sexualised women. The fear women have on being called a is enough for them to mutilate themselves. The notion of chastity and the purity of women is what encourages barbaric practices such as FGM to be deemed acceptable. Clitrodectomy was not long practiced by the British in the era where women who behaved like independent and critical thinkers were labelled 'hysterical' thus such practice were deemed acceptable. Similarly the Romans would mutilate slaves by placing rings in the Labia minora to inhibit outside sexual encounters of their possessions. Consequently Female sexuality has always been controlled by society, female sexuality will always be something to be feared off as a result many society practiced many forms of self control, sadly it is always women who these practices are encouraged on.

The problem with you is you looking the issue with cadaan studies and through white lenses.

Now let's look it within the context of somali culture. Gabay and buraanbuur are very essential to understand how somali culture is shaped and what rolls male and female play.

Now there is no gabay (poems) dedicated to FGM that comes from somali men whether it is to approve or disapprove despite it being an issue that existed for a long period. While on the other hand women have buraanbuur affirming their support on the issue.

If uncircumcised female goes public in the most rural areas to date 99.9 of the times she will face discrimination from women than men and that is a fact.

VixR

Veritas
:mjlol:It's absolutely patriarchal, are you fucking kidding me?

Intellectually dishonest and clinically retarded s strike again:ohlord:

Inb4 and your brothers and father! :reallymaury:

Why would any man want a woman with a removed kintir?

This is a ploy by Somali women to punish Somali men by making women less eager to have sex :fittytousand:

I was actually gonna make a thread about this one day.

I agree with the OP that within Somali society, women/girls are both the instigators and victims of FGM.

Now obviously FGM has its routes in male views of chastity and whatnots and it was said by some theorists that the practice began in what is now the lower Nile valley area several millennia ago?

@EternalLightX you say that FGM is based on how society views women in certain parts but in regards to modern-day Somali society (what OP is on about i assume) which segregates the genders from birth and where the mothers (not fathers) advise their sons to seek a girl who's cut.

So yes it is based on patriarchal/male societal views however, these views are enforced and prolonged by the female relatives surrounding the young impressionable minds of Somali men.

Here's an illuminating post by a Somali FEMINIST that shows that (anecdotally at least) it is the men who are against this practice at times:

http://www.genderacrossborders.com/2011/04/29/somalia-and-its-discontents/

In my own experience, it was my father and uncle who objected to this practice, and saved my siblings and I from the unjust fate experienced by many Somali women, while my mother supported it.

Now, I personally never heard of FGM until recently and like any sane individual who wasn't brainwashed, i was disgusted that this barbaric practice still exits. Likewise i assume many young Somali men (especially ones who grew up in the west) never really knew about this till later in their lifes.

Ironically, even this Somali school girl anti-FGM campaigner from Bristol who probably gets tons of funding from state coffers never heard of FGM till later (although she seems to be a hard working individual who is combating FGM as her personal duty so don't hate):

“Despite growing up in a Somali family Fahma said she had never heard of FGM until her friends discussed it at the age of 14.”

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Global-support-young-campaigner-FGM/story-20673290-detail/story.html

And according to one of the gazillion xalimo campaigners, Leyla Hussein said that she faced the worst abuse from fellow Somali women who were against her activities:

“I have been spat on, shouted at and attacked by men in balaclavas. I have had to have three different types of alarm fitted at my home. I do not let many people know where I live now. The worst offenders have been Somali women. Women from my own community.”

The problem with you is you looking the issue with cadaan studies and through white lenses.

Now let's look it within the context of somali culture. Gabay and buraanbuur are very essential to understand how somali culture is shaped and what rolls male and female play.

Now there is no gabay (poems) dedicated to FGM that comes from somali men whether it is to approve or disapprove despite it being an issue that existed for a long period. While on the other hand women have buraanbuur affirming their support on the issue.

If uncircumcised female goes public in the most rural areas to date 99.9 of the times she will face discrimination from women than men and that is a fact.

So you're just going to keep dismissing it by calling it cadaan studies lmao

I'll say it again, FGM is patriarchy incarnation. The practice wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the obsessive fixation on women virginity and sexuality.

This shitty practice is centered around men

So you're just going to keep dismissing it by calling it cadaan studies lmao

I'll say it again, FGM is patriarchy incarnation. The practice wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the obsessive fixation on women virginity and sexuality.

This shitty practice is centered around men
I agree with you it won't exist if it wasn't for the obsessive fixation ( your term), but the question is who is encouraging? Is it not women?

I agree with you it won't exist if it wasn't for the obsessive fixation ( your term), but the question is who is encouraging? Is it not women?

Yes it is no one is denying that women are the main perpetrators. But it's silly to act like men aren't the driving force.

Not when males base a women worth entirely on her hymen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending