AMA about Harari/Harar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you made this thread, because I've always been curious about that city.

how did the name harari and the ethnic group come about? (are you guys named after the city or vice versa) because I heard hararis are a mixture of yemenis and some people that lived there before.

Which ethiopians are you closest to(culturally and ethnically)?

I'm glad you made this thread, because I've always been curious about that city.

how did the name harari and the ethnic group come about? (are you guys named after the city or vice versa) because I heard hararis are a mixture of yemenis and some people that lived there before.

Which ethiopians are you closest to(culturally and ethnically)?
In our language Harar is actually known as Ge, i am sure the term harar came from the harla people.

Ethnically i dont really know how to judge it but most likely habesha people, wherease culturally we are very diverse. Theres aspects of a lot of outside cultures in our one. But if language is also included in culture, then like above^

In our language Harar is actually known as Ge, i am sure the term harar came from the harla people.

Ethnically i dont really know how to judge it but most likely habesha people, wherease culturally we are very diverse. Theres aspects of a lot of outside cultures in our one. But if language is also included in culture, then like above^

ooh the harla people used to live in the city? cool didn't know that

and I'm surprised you're culturally most similar to the habesha, I would have thought it would be oromo since they are muslim and live in your cities :hmm:

ooh the harla people used to live in the city? cool didn't know that

and I'm surprised you're culturally most similar to the habesha, I would have thought it would be oromo since they are muslim and live in your cities :hmm:
Well what would you specifically mean by culture? Most of Harar is just oromo and amhara now anyway
Even the current generation of harari teens have a language problem as this girl states: (you can put subtitles on for understanding)

Our culture needs to be preserved and maintained and not die out

Well what would you specifically mean by culture? Most of Harar is just oromo and amhara now anyway
Even the current generation of harari teens have a language problem as this girl states: (you can put subtitles on for understanding)

Our culture needs to be preserved and maintained and not die out

I didn't even know you had your own language -_-. I thought you guys just spoke arabic. it kind of sounds a bit like german

by culture I meant customs, clothing, etc

I didn't even know you had your own language -_-. I thought you guys just spoke arabic. it kind of sounds a bit like german

by culture I meant customs, clothing, etc
Oh yes, we do, not many speakers though. And german, ive never heard that comparison:)
Well our clothing is rather unique, customs is based off religion too so it cant be disassociated from the other 2

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Why are you people height challenged ? Your male average 4'11 ft in height and you females average 3'11 ft

Status
Not open for further replies.