An interesting somewhat detailed map of southern somalia 1910 ad.

Garaad diinle

 
rfEDCOh.jpg

Garaad diinle

 
Off topic but i'm curious does anyone know what hashiyah, ash or ashta means? My guess ash or ashta might be interchangeable with aj or aji.

Garaad diinle

 
I came across it in a book about somali clan names what they mean and the origin of these clans. In the book it said that hashiya refer to isaaq and darood while the rest were hawiya. It's even mentioned by guillain to.

I came across a video were instead of hawiyah and hashiya the say ashta iyo hawiya so it's still
used to some extend. You might be right though and it' might simply be another way to say aji.

I came across it in a book about somali clan names what they mean and the origin of these clans. In the book it said that hashiya refer to isaaq and darood while the rest were hawiya. It's even mentioned by guillain to.

I came across a video were instead of hawiyah and hashiya the say ashta iyo hawiya so it's still
used to some extend. You might be right though and it' might simply be another way to say aji.
It has to be, it carries the same definition of Aji. Interesting that Guillain said this, nust have been before Burton I reckon?

Garaad diinle

 
It has to be, it carries the same definition of Aji. Interesting that Guillain said this, nust have been before Burton I reckon?
You get the feeling that it was important since it was widespread but now it completely
disappeared from our vocabuary.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
Off topic but i'm curious does anyone know what hashiyah, ash or ashta means? My guess ash or ashta might be interchangeable with aj or aji.
Hashiyah is what we call non Hawiyah. Soomali waa Hawiyah (Hawiye) iyo Hashiyah (Dir, Darood, Isaaq, Rahanweyn, .5 etc)

Garaad diinle

 
Hashiyah is what we call non Hawiyah. Soomali waa Hawiyah (Hawiye) iyo Hashiyah (Dir, Darood, Isaaq, Rahanweyn, .5 etc)
Have you heard this name from somali elder, is it still used in somalia? Do you know what it actually means or what it's etymology is? Have you ever heard soomaalida ashta?

convincation

VIP
Have you heard this name from somali elder, is it still used in somalia? Do you know what it actually means or what it's etymology is? Have you ever heard soomaalida ashta?
I’ve heard Hashiyah but never Ashta. Both terminologies are most probably a thing from the past that became more irrevelevant the more the tribes interacted.

I’m not sure the origin of the word but from what I interpreted from Burton’s First footsteps in East Africa it may have been based on Hawiye back then having a superiority complex against other Somalis so grouped them together as one.

EF154A3F-ADC9-4BA5-9610-BE61E6DA6EAC.jpeg

Pretty accurate. Marehan lived on the western side of Gedo. Eastern Gedo towns like Baardheere, Luuq, Doolow, Buurdhuubo were Reewing cities controlled by the various Reewing clans like Gasaargude, Gawaawiin, Macalinweyne, Leysaan, Hubeer etc.

I’ve heard Hashiyah but never Ashta. Both terminologies are most probably a thing from the past that became more irrevelevant the more the tribes interacted.

I’m not sure the origin of the word but from what I interpreted from Burton’s First footsteps in East Africa it may have been based on Hawiye back then having a superiority complex against other Somalis so grouped them together as one.

View attachment 246746
Wait, your source is just Burton? I thought u heard it from Hawiye elders. How disappointing smh

Would warn u against taking Oriantielists descriptions of how different groups view each other with a hugh grain of salt.

Pretty accurate. Marehan lived on the western side of Gedo. Eastern Gedo towns like Baardheere, Luuq, Doolow, Buurdhuubo were Reewing cities controlled by the various Reewing clans like Gasaargude, Gawaawiin, Macalinweyne, Leysaan, Hubeer etc.
When did Leysaang and Macalin Weyne come to Gedo? I know Goobawiing and Gasargudde have been there for a while, but Macalin Weyne & Leysaan must have migrated relativly recently due to being originally from Sarmaang

When did Leysaang and Macalin Weyne come to Gedo? I know Goobawiing and Gasargudde have been there for a while, but Macalin Weyne & Leysaan must have migrated relativly recently due to being originally from Sarmaang
I don't know the exact dates. When it comes to Baardheere maybe 300 years ago due to that being when Baardheere was settled as a city and established as a centre for knowledge by Baardheere Jamaacah According to my limited knowledge. Leysaan stronghold Berdaale is not too far from Baardheere in the firstplace as well as Macalinweyne areas of Baay and Bakool.

According to oral traditions Gasaargude settled in the 1300s in Luuq region.

convincation

VIP
Wait, your source is just Burton? I thought u heard it from Hawiye elders. How disappointing smh

Would warn u against taking Oriantielists descriptions of how different groups view each other with a hugh grain of salt.
I’ve heard Hashiyah but never Ashta.
^^

Heard it from an uncle. Told me that’s what his Grandad used to call “Farmaajo cidiis”. I didn’t know what it meant at the time so I never questioned it futher. Will definitely be doing it now

Trending

Latest posts