Are you a true wadani?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am this hopeful Somali who wants to build up her skill set in the West so I can use it to help my people back home. Am I wasting my time thinking I can help dadkeeyga? Are Somali people too separate to help as a whole to the point where they will sabotage any collective progress?

I feel a duty to help dadkeeyga. Am I dumb?

No you're not, I wanna help too. Even tho folks back home would probably never accept kkkkk

I'll just do it anonymously and help from afar :mjcry:

The first question they'll ask you is your clan aka your family. The intention seems good though.

I don't care about that. Surely I cannot be the only person who exists that can see the bigger picture? We have a clan structure, yes, but ultimately we share a country and the same interests.

Gambar

VIP
I don't care about that. Surely I cannot be the only person who exists that can see the bigger picture? We have a clan structure, yes, but ultimately we share a country and the same interests.

I'm speaking from experience, I naively thought the same as you. There's a lot of barriers that will prevent you from doing that, of course it's possible. Because you're from the West, you have the clan issue, if you're a woman, cultural issues (every region has its own cultures) etc. Those are just a few of the hurdles you'll face but like I said your intention is good but you'll receive a lot of push back.

I'm speaking from experience, I naively thought the same as you. There's a lot of barriers that will prevent you from doing that, of course it's possible. Because you're from the West, you have the clan issue, if you're a woman, cultural issues (every region has its own cultures) etc. Those are just a few of the hurdles you'll face but like I said your intention is good but you'll receive a lot of push back.

Well that's depressing.

If you've gone back home that's a reality. I went back this year it was a dose of reality. There's a lot of people doing good work but you have to do a lot of convincing for the community you're going to.

Can you share your experience walaal? Tips and tricks etc. and what exactly you were doing - protecting your identity of course.

maestro

Cultural revolution
Nonsense. Trying to help your less privileged brothers and sisters is no way wasting time. There are a lot of Dasporans doing great work back home planning to and succeeding at getting many thousands out of poverty and suffering.

Just be careful and do not be completely delusional and clueless of how Somalis work. Those who helped the most learned how use the system that already exists in there to do the best they can for as much people as possible.

No one is out there for our people but us and if we abandon them they'll keep getting preyed upon by corrupt politicians and outsiders until there is nothing left of them and their country. Those back home need us more than we'd think and with the skills most of us acquired here we can impact them atleast in a positive way somehow.

The good news is Somali has too much opportunities to give. Anything small people do there can provide jobs for many and educate a lot of people.

Do it if you can. If you can't then encourage others to do. The more people the better.

Last edited:

Mudug-Madman

Gaalkacyo Gangster
Never give up the fight sister. Things get better every year. The younger generation in Somalia is a lot less qabilist than their parents. And you're exactly the type of person that should go back, the type of person that Somalia needs more of. People who have a strong sense of Somali culture and Somalinimo, while at the same time are free of the constraints of the clan system.

Gambar

VIP
Can you share your experience walaal? Tips and tricks etc. and what exactly you were doing - protecting your identity of course.
It was a good experience and I am going back next month. First of all, make sure you blend in with how you dress, speak Somali as much as you can (learn the language before you go there), stay with your family in a town that your family can protect you in, definitely see badiyo/miyi. Be open minded. Don't be naive and think qabiil doesn't matter because it's basically your family. Your qabiil = their deegan so if they ask you what city you're from its the same thing lol. I went there with eyes open to see the needs especially for women in regards to the necessary services and how my expertise could help. What I plan to help with is maternal and child health care, nutrition, mental health, agriculture as I noticed all these issues intertwine. And charity starts at home so there's no shame in saying you will help with the region your family comes from because that's what you should be doing. Qabiil is the fabric of Somalis.

It was a good experience and I am going back next month. First of all, make sure you blend in with how you dress, speak Somali as much as you can (learn the language before you go there), stay with your family in a town that your family can protect you in, definitely see badiyo/miyi. Be open minded. Don't be naive and think qabiil doesn't matter because it's basically your family. Your qabiil = their deegan so if they ask you what city you're from its the same thing lol. I went there with eyes open to see the needs especially for women in regards to the necessary services and how my expertise could help. What I plan to help with is maternal and child health care, nutrition, mental health, agriculture as I noticed all these issues intertwine. And charity starts at home so there's no shame in saying you will help with the region your family comes from because that's what you should be doing. Qabiil is the fabric of Somalis.

We can't give up on dadkeeyna. No matter how hard it gets. I've seen older people return back to wadanka to help and they have come back disillusioned. They said "the people have changed". Nobody trusts anyone.

Gambar

VIP
We can't give up on dadkeeyna. No matter how hard it gets. I've seen older people return back to wadanka to help and they have come back disillusioned. They said "the people have changed". Nobody trusts anyone.
It's because those back home feel abandoned because they think we live in paradise and they live in complete misery. We are seen as "xasid". I'd implore you to go back and see it for yourself first. How's your Somali?

Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it :cosbyhmm:
its not. not in our lifetime at least.

I rather build myself a satisfactory life in the west and accept that england is my permanent home because I know the situation in Somalia is probably only gonna get worse.
we have moved from a decade of civil war to another one of terrorism. no point in holding out for something that will never happen.

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
It's because Somalis are obsessed with politics, doing your part for society should never be discouraged, there's not enough good ppl left on this world anyway

maestro

Cultural revolution
its not. not in our lifetime at least.

I rather build myself a satisfactory life in the west and accept that england is my permanent home because I know the situation in Somalia is probably only gonna get worse.
we have moved from a decade of civil war to another one of terrorism. no point in holding out for something that will never happen.

Actually The decade of terrorism is almost over and most parts of the country are rebuilding now.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
I am this hopeful Somali who wants to build up her skill set in the West so I can use it to help my people back home. Am I wasting my time thinking I can help dadkeeyga? Are Somali people too separate to help as a whole to the point where they will sabotage any collective progress?

I feel a duty to help dadkeeyga. Am I dumb?

No, you are not. You are what we all should aspire to be.

btw I really misjudged you and I'd like to apologize for some of my earlier comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.