Dark skinned Somali woman says Somalis are black!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keo

VIP
If Beyonce is considered black then ur dhuxul ass is blue let alone black
:heh:
The difference between her and Beyoncé is that Beyoncé doesn't have a place she can call home. Her ancestors were brought to America as slaves by force. The white man decided to give them that term and they sticked with it. African Americans don't even know which part of Africa they were taken from let alone their ethnic group. At least us Somalis can identify with being Somali because we know what we are and weren't forced to settle in an unknown land.

The difference between her and Beyoncé is that Beyoncé doesn't have a place she can call home. Her ancestors were brought to America as slaves by force. The white man decided to give them that term and they sticked with it. African Americans don't even know which part of Africa they were taken from let alone their ethnic group. At least us Somalis can identify with being Somali because we know what we are and weren't forced to settle in an unknown land.
:salute::salute:

I don't even watch any somali youtuber because the videos they make are so cringy. I didn't watch this one either. I already know what she is going to say. Somalis are dumb as hell bro and as much as I hate to say that, it might be a fact. It's like you have to be black, or even worse an Arab:what1:. Whatever happened to being somali and being proud?

the worst is when they have "panels" to discuss it like their discussing something of the utmost importance to the somali community. ARE SOMALIS BLACK OR ARAB? if they have any clue they would know arab is a culture and heritage (which we don't have) and black is a race it's not a one or the other thing

they could discuss so much important things but they choose to discuss race and colorism, somalis are going through drought, famine,terrorism, corrupt governing broken families, but sure let's discuss whether we're black or not :ileycry:

The difference between her and Beyonce is that Beyonce doesn't have a place she can call home. Her ancestors were brought to America as slaves by force. The white man decided to give them that term and they sticked with it. African Americans don't even know which part of Africa they were taken from let alone their ethnic group. At least us Somalis can identify with being Somali because we know what we are and weren't forced to settle in an unknown land.

African-Americans do better than Somalis in the west in almost every aspect. Business, education, the arts, sports
"they don't even know which part of Africa they were taken from" yet despite this, they are still flourishing. So I ask you, is being Somali the only way you feel better than them?

the worst is when they have "panels" to discuss it like their discussing something of the utmost importance to the somali community. ARE SOMALIS BLACK OR ARAB? if they have any clue they would know arab is a culture and heritage (which we don't have) and black is a race it's not a one or the other thing

they could discuss so much important things but they choose to discuss race and colorism, somalis are going through drought, famine,terrorism, corrupt governing broken families, but sure let's discuss whether we're black or not :ileycry:
I fully agree with this. This whole race debate is a waste of time. Lets just take pride in being Somali and leave it at that

EVEN NIGERIANS SHOULDN'T BE CALLING THEMSELVES BLACK. IF YOU KNOW WHERE YOU COME FROM ON A MAP WHAT THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU DOING USING A LABEL THAT DIVORCES YOU OF YOUR HERITAGE YOU ABSOLUTE PAGAN.

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
Race is tricky for me. There are many definitions for race.

According to Wikipedia: Race is the classification of humans into groups based on physical traits, ancestry, genetics or social relations, or the relations between them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_categorization)

According to the United States Census: Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

http://www.census.gov/topics/population/race/about.html

So, according to these definitions, we are black from physical characteristics such as skin tone and also having origins in Africa.

But, I still disagree with the Pan-African/pro-Black stuff. I noticed lot of these Somali YouTubers are in that circle.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
Wallahi it's not that complicated. Black is an umbrella term for anyone of sub-saharan African descent. Nobody is saying you have to identify solely as Black and nor does it come prescribed with political or ideological stances. Why are you guys so extreme? Everywhere people either seem to be Somali supremacists, Arab booty clappers and faux African Americans.

Wallahi it's not that complicated. Black is an umbrella term for anyone of sub-saharan African descent. Nobody is saying you have to identify solely as Black and nor does it come prescribed with political or ideological stances. Why are you guys so extreme? Everywhere people either seem to be Somali supremacists, Arab booty clappers and faux African Americans.

So you want to take on a label that was handed to you by cadaan colonisers who were too lazy to tell you apart? Or by a label that was given to a people who had their history and heritage stolen from them? It isn't about superiority. I think it is disrespectful to black people to take that label from them and act like we have the same issues as them. It is embarrassing and insensitive to act like you are the same as someone who does not have their own African language and cannot tell you what region they are from in Africa never mind tribe.

The Census and all those lazy mofos collecting data need to wake up and not group everyone together. I am not going to call myself black just because they say so. Call me African any day of the week - but black, nope.

How does not identifying with a certain racial group created by cadaans make that person a "supremacist"? We're just stating facts sxb, Somalis have a separate identity to AAs and caribbean folks.

Last edited:

Kanye

So you want to take on a label that was handed to you by cadaan colonisers who were too lazy to tell you apart? Or by a label that was given to a people who had their history and heritage stolen from them? It isn't about superiority. I think it is disrespectful to black people to take that label from them and act like we have the same issues as them. It is embarrassing and insensitive to act like you are the same as someone who does not have their own African language and cannot tell you what region they are from in Africa never mind tribe.

The Census and all those lazy mofos collecting data need to wake up and not group everyone together. I am not going to call myself black just because they say so. Call me African any day of the week - but black, nope.
You don't walk into every room and start with "Hello, I'm Black". It's true AAs are the only ones to identify solely as Black because they don't know their roots. The question is: are Somalis black? Yes, Somalis are black just like every other ethnicity native to sub-Saharan Africa. This is exactly what I meant when it I said it doesn't come with prescribed political stances or world views. Just because we are both Black doesn't mean we are the same. There's an obvious difference in culture, language, appearance between a native Somali and a native to Nigeria. Us both being black doesn't eliminate our differences. An Italian is considered White just like a blue-eyed, blonde-haired Swede is considered white, despite the drastic difference in appearance, culture, language and geographical location. Are you going to tell me there's no such thing as White too? Or is it strictly reserved for White Americans that may not necessarily know where they originate from? In colloquial terms being "Black" is vague physical description to describe people of sub-Saharan Africa. It's not a culture nor is it language, it's a physical indicator.

Kanye

How does not identifying with a certain racial group created by cadaans make someone a "supremacist"? We're just stating facts sxb, Somalis have a separate identity to AAs and caribbean folks.
Poor choice of wording. Being Somali and being Black are not mutually exclusive. Being Black does not erode the differences bewteen cultures and ethnicities nor does it come with any.

Exactly my point! Unlike others, we have a plethora of important topics that we can discuss but we waste our time with embarrassing topics. If you look at her video, it is already at 1300 comments, mostly of somalis on both corners, some say we are arabs, and others we are black. Lol why can't we be somalis and proud?

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
If Somalis aren't black what are they? Somali??

To everyone else your skin colour is what colour your skin is, Somalis are white, olive, melange, brown, black.

Prince of Lasanod

Eid trim pending
If Somalis were taken as slaves (we weren't), are you saying we would be considered a different race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending