Djiboutians don't pray/French language

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Nous sommes francais mais noir. Nous sommes somali mais francais." Every Djiboutian I met.

What can I say, I attended a French school for most of my life. I'm bound to meet a Djiboutian.

They all go to the French Catholic schools but not the French secular schools. Very strange people.

I remember once we were playing basketball (around 13-14) during the weekend and we were near the mosque and it was time to pray and the Djiboutians all looked confused as to why we were going to pray. They didn't object to it but they acted like they were part of another faith or something and they were going to the mosque as guests.

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
They all go to the French Catholic schools but not the French secular schools. Very strange people.

I remember once we were playing basketball (around 13-14) during the weekend and we were near the mosque and it was time to pray and the Djiboutians all looked confused as to why we were going to pray. They didn't object to it but they acted like they were part of another faith or something and they were going to the mosque as guests.

They hit the secularist shit pretty hard, once they heard you could drink, not pray and still be muslim (non-religious) they found jannah ironically.

Tu es québécois AbdiJohnson?

Ottawa is right on the border of Quebec and is half French. You might as well be Quebecois. :umad:

And it's 40 minutes from the U.S. border. I might as well be American too right? Bad logic.

Ottawa is a purely English city with French people driving to Ottawa for work. There's nothing French about it. It's not half French. Your facts are all wrong.

Mudug-Madman

Gaalkacyo Gangster
And it's 40 minutes from the U.S. border. I might as well be American too right? Bad logic.

Ottawa is a purely English city with French people driving to Ottawa for work. There's nothing French about it. It's not half French. Your facts are all wrong.
No all the French people live in the city or in Gatineau, which is in Quebec but is literally just a suburb of Ottawa. The main reason Ottawa was even picked as the capital was because of it's location on the border. It's a half French city.

Mudug-Madman

Gaalkacyo Gangster
Do you speak French @AbdiJohnson @Mudug-Madman

If you don't then why bother to live in Canada. My hope is to be the Somali ambassador to France before I'm 30 with my fluent French.
I can't speak French. I can understand basic sentences in written form, like your earlier post said "I'm French but black, I'm Somali but French." I also know a few words and basic phrases. But that's about it.

Officially Canada is bilingual but in reality unless you live in Quebec, New Brunswick and some small French speaking communities scattered across the country, French has little effect on your daily life. Even in Quebec, you can get by in the big cities with English. In Ontario we have mandatory French until grade 9, but French education is really bad unless you went to a French immersion school like @Mohamud .

TheLibertarianQuiche

I can't speak French. I can understand basic sentences in written form, like your earlier post said "I'm French but black, I'm Somali but French." I also know a few words and basic phrases. But that's about it.

Officially Canada is bilingual but in reality unless you live in Quebec, New Brunswick and some small French speaking communities scattered across the country, French has little effect on your daily life. Even in Quebec, you can get by in the big cities with English. In Ontario we have mandatory French until grade 9, but French education is really bad unless you went to a French immersion school like @Mohamud .

Fair enough I went to a French-Australian school near the embassy in Australia. The women laakin :ahh:

No all the French people live in the city or in Gatineau, which is in Quebec but is literally just a suburb of Ottawa. The main reason Ottawa was even picked as the capital was because of it's location on the border. It's a half French city.

I lived in Ottawa since I was a couple of months old til 2 years ago. I lived there my whole life. You don't know what you're talking about. 82% speak English as their first language and French has actually declined. No one uses French in their normal day to day life. The majority of workers in businesses can't even speak the language in downtown, forget about in the other parts of the city. The French is only spoken as a first language by Haitians and Djiboutians and Algerians and Moroccans. They number more than the white Frenchies that live there. The Frenchies only come to the city for health care and work. The language of commerce and daily interaction is English. There's only 2 French channels on cable TV.

You're confusing the English people who are bilingual for the Québécois.

Gatineau is not a suburb. It's its own city.

You don't know what you're talking about.

:chrisfreshhah:

@TheLibertarianQuiche Its not what it used to be but it's alot better than my Somali. I never needed to use it in my life in Ottawa except in French classes. I used a few broken Arabic lines I know more than French. That should tell you alot.

TheLibertarianQuiche

Why don't live in America its the same.

My French teachers drilled in the habit that if you don't speak French you have no place in a French country. Old habits die hard sxb, they taught me some racist shit wallahi.

Why don't live in America its the same.

My French teachers drilled in the habit that if you don't speak French you have no place in a French country. Old habits die hard sxb, they taught me some racist shit wallahi.

French is useless in Canada outside one place. I don't know where you heard its a French country.

Mudug-Madman

Gaalkacyo Gangster
I lived in Ottawa since I was a couple of months old til 2 years ago. I lived there my whole life. You don't know what you're talking about. 82% speak English as their first language and French has actually declined. No one uses French in their normal day to day life. The majority of workers in businesses can't even speak the language in downtown, forget about in the other parts of the city. The French is only spoken as a first language by Haitians and Djiboutians and Algerians and Moroccans. They number more than the white Frenchies that live there. The Frenchies only come to the city for health care and work. The language of commerce and daily interaction is English. There's only 2 French channels on cable TV.

You're confusing the English people who are bilingual for the Québécois.

Gatineau is not a suburb. It's its own city.

You don't know what you're talking about.

:chrisfreshhah:

@TheLibertarianQuiche Its not what it used to be but it's alot better than my Somali. I never needed to use it in my life in Ottawa except in French classes. I used a few broken Arabic lines I know more than French. That should tell you alot.
Gatineau is it's own city like Vaughan is it's own city. Only on paper and for administrative reasons. In reality both are suburbs. One is in the GTA, and the other is in the National Capital Region: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Capital_Region_(Canada) .

I left Ottawa 11 years ago and visited 6 years ago for a month. The decline in French was rapid. When I was younger you had to speak french to apply for work in a downtown McDonald's or Tim Hortons. This was when we were in like Grade 8-9.

I mean like a country that has it as a language. Also why are the debates held in French if its not that widely used.

Those are for the Frenchies that live in one place. It's a useless language outside of that.

Gatineau is it's own city like Vaughan is it's own city. Only on paper and for administrative reasons. In reality both are suburbs. One is in the GTA, and the other is in the National Capital Region: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Capital_Region_(Canada) .

Your own link says it's a non political entity. I have never heard anyone use that term "National Capital Region" but I hear GTA everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.