Eritrean DNA

The proxies you've chosen is really poor, it's misleading but Eritreans have high Eurasian admixture. They were connected to yeman during their empire especially the Axumite period. They have 25% Arabian compared to 3% for us somalis. So the question is, why are they 15% more eurasian than somalis when it should have been 25% because of their MENA dna.

Somalis ancestor is 60%Nilotic+ 25% north african + 15%MENA whereas Habasha are about 1/4 Nilotic+1/4 Omotic+ 1/2 MENA.

I agree with the autosomal DNA for the reason of your phenotype but Eurasian:Sub Saharan admixture or haplogroup type has nothing to do with phenotype. Some Eritreans have soft hair but it's uncommon for Eritreans to have waves or loose hair, thats why they prefer to have the 1970s afro hair. Compare to somalis it's more likely we have loose curly to wavy hair types like 2A 2B 2C, 3A 3B and 3C. So maybe the culprit is the Omotic admixture or maybe there is other reasons not known yet.
Ehh, Somalis are more 55-60% Nilotic and 25-30% West Asian/15% North African. However, I recall Somali Kenyans having slightly elevated levels of SSA.

You have more Omotic than me (I'm at 0), and I'm from K5. I've mentioned many times that it varies. K5 is not a monolithic region; I would not suspect the same results.

I think these questions are futile. I could easily ask why one family member has light skin with wavy hair and sharp features, and another is very dark with curly hair and the same features yet entirely Somali from the same parents and with zero recent admixture. These sorts of conversations are becoming irritating. I'm sensing many of these kids want to align themselves with anything more Eurasian; frankly, it's pathetic. They are often prone to banal generalizations and can't stand alone without piggybacking off other groups (given an identity crisis).

Also, Eritreans don't have a particular look. Some look Somali (others don't), and their hair texture ranges from straight/wavy to coarse. They can be olive to blue-black almost. Some are short, and others are tall. One has to specify which group they are discussing.
I also agree with you and i have already said that Eurasian to Sub Saharan ratio and haplogroups have nothing to do with phenotype. My Mota shows up depending on the source chosen, sometimes it shows zero others its minuscule, like this
1697932218379.png

Ehh, Somalis are more 55-60% Nilotic and 25-30% West Asian/15% North African. However, I recall Somali Kenyans having slightly elevated levels of SSA.
Sorry my mistake, i meant 60% Nilotic, 25% West Asian and 15% North African. Tigrinyas are 45% SSA and 55% Eurasian.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I also agree with you and i have already said that Eurasian to Sub Saharan ratio and haplogroups have nothing to do with phenotype. My Mota shows up depending on the source chosen, sometimes it shows zero others its minuscule, like this
View attachment 300206
Mine are consistently at the same level or lower than Somalis. We have to preface that K5 is a large area, and you have to specify what area (cities or towns) your family is from. What groups have your family married into, or if you have any recent admixture to get a good idea?

I'm full Somali, 100% Gadabuursi (all four grandparents), and have zero introgression. In his words, the brother @NidarNidar has some recent Ethiopian. The funny thing is my maternal and paternal grandmothers belong to his clan. That doesn't tell you much when his family background is not identical to mine, given the slight input differences.

Mine are consistently at the same level or lower than Somalis. We have to preface that K5 is a large area, and you have to specify what area (cities or towns) your family is from. What groups have your family married into, or if you have any recent admixture to get a good idea?

I'm full Somali, 100% Gadabuursi (all four grandparents), and have zero introgression. In his words, the brother @NidarNidar has some recent Ethiopian. The funny thing is my maternal and paternal grandmothers belong to his clan. That doesn't tell you much when his family background is not identical to mine, given the slight input differences.
I had no clue @NidarNidar has some recent Ethiopian ancestry, i thought he was fully Dir. I also did not know some Gadabuursi live in K5, I thought it was only Borama and Djibouti. In time with more somalis taking the test we will have better picture. I agree on the background checks and maybe if we go deep, people who are showing mota could have some affinity with some Ethiopians but as of now I am not so sure, many K5, south eastern somalia (jubaland) and SL regions are showing minuscule Mota.
The difference is only 15%
I thought Tigrinyas/Eritreans got crazy high amounts.

Or 15% difference is actually a lot
I have read somewhere that our 40% Eurasian is more ancient, around the time E1b1b or Natufians come to settle in the Horn of Africa, so here we are talking around Nealothic period (8000 BCE). Tigrinyas Eurasian is split into two, one thats neolithic period and a more recent one (around 2000 years ago).

That 15% is actually alot, if they lacked the Omotic admixture, the difference would have been visible. Barwanis are 65 to 75% Eurasian, around 15% more than Eritreans but the difference is visible.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I had no clue @NidarNidar has some recent Ethiopian ancestry, i thought he was fully Dir. I also did not know some Gadabuursi live in K5, I thought it was only Borama and Djibouti. In time with more somalis taking the test we will have better picture. I agree on the background checks and maybe if we go deep, people who are showing mota could have some affinity with some Ethiopians but as of now I am not so sure, many K5, south eastern somalia (jubaland) and SL regions are showing minuscule Mota.
No. More Gadbuursi live in K5 than Awdal and Djibouti combined. Borama is only a town, not a region. K5 is not a monolith but is very geographically spread out. To lump them together is not wise. Maybe we'll do differences based on actual towns rather than pooling together people from different sub-regions of K5 while keeping stock of family backgrounds. It's also not smart to think all of SL is the same or that they are 1:1 matches for people in parts of K5. Gadabuursi/Samaroon, who live in Ethiopia, are often surrounded by their sub-sub-sub-sub clans. You'll need regionally specific and finely-grained data before you make any leaps or generalizations.​
I have read somewhere that our 40% Eurasian is more ancient, around the time E1b1b or Natufians come to settle in the Horn of Africa, so here we are talking around Nealothic period (8000 BCE). Tigrinyas Eurasian is split into two, one thats neolithic period and a more recent one (around 2000 years ago).

That 15% is actually alot, if they lacked the Omotic admixture, the difference would have been visible. Barwanis are 65 to 75% Eurasian, around 15% more than Eritreans but the difference is visible.
I don't think their Omotic admixture gives them a particular look. Kinky hair (though less likely) also exists in the Copts, and they are mostly Eurasian. Care to tell us why the Oromo, who have the most Omotic admixture, tend to have wavier hair than the Habeshis, who have less (on average)? Also, Barwanis and Cadcads are highly South Asian-shifted.

The difference is only 15%
I thought Tigrinyas/Eritreans got crazy high amounts.

Or 15% difference is actually a lot
Depends on the group. For a Maasai or Wolayta is it quite a lot. For the major groups (Amhara, Oromo, Afar, Somali) it isn't since they all cluster rather tightly. Its akin to the difference between Southern Italians and Northern Italians.

As for non-East Africans, Eritreans are better compared to Mozabite Berbers who are anywhere from 30-40% SSA. Or even the Beja.

Garaad Awal

Zubeyri aka Targaryen of the Awalid Kingdom.
Depends on the group. For a Maasai or Wolayta is it quite a lot. For the major groups (Amhara, Oromo, Afar, Somali) it isn't since they all cluster rather tightly. Its akin to the difference between Southern Italians and Northern Italians.

As for non-East Africans, Eritreans are better compared to Mozabite Berbers who are anywhere from 30-40% SSA. Or even the Beja.
Eritreans arenโ€™t a monolith. Thereโ€™s Rashaida Arabs,Beni Amer, Tigre,Tigrayans,Saho & Afars.

I have two results from the Cushitic Sahos.One carries Semitic E-M84 and is ~35% Arabian with non-existent Mota while the other Saho (E-V22) is identical to other Northern Highlanders (minor Mota & ~25% Arabian) like Tigrayans,Amharas,Agaws & Northern Oromos

Garaad Awal

Eritrean groups on average look way more Caucasoid and visibly mixed then Somalis. The Eritreans,Sudanese Arabs & Nubians have that biracial look that is quite common among them which is rare among ethnic Somalis.Makes sense tho as most Eritrean groups excluding the Kunama & Nara are vastly more West Eurasian than us Somalis

Garaad Awal

The Ari are fully Omotic and the Gumuz are Nilotes. Without the Arabian ancestry, Tigrinya folk would probably look like the Sidama
No the Sidama are to heavily Ethio HG admixed. The Northern Horners (regardless of linguistic affiliation) would resemble those South Cushitic Pastoral Neolithic samples.

Somalis on the other hand seem like we are Pastoral Neolithic admixed with some Kenyan Pastoral Iron Age Masai-like component that lacked Mota and gave us increased Nilotic-like ancestry.

Eritrean groups on average look way more Caucasoid and visibly mixed then Somalis. The Eritreans,Sudanese Arabs & Nubians have that biracial look that is quite common among them which is rare among ethnic Somalis.Makes sense tho as most Eritrean groups excluding the Kunama & Nara are vastly more West Eurasian than us Somalis
Only the Rashaida are. Tigrays are unmistakably black like us.

No. More Gadbuursi live in K5 than Awdal and Djibouti combined. Borama is only a town, not a region. K5 is not a monolith but is very geographically spread out. To lump them together is not wise. Maybe we'll do differences based on actual towns rather than pooling together people from different sub-regions of K5 while keeping stock of family backgrounds. It's also not smart to think all of SL is the same or that they are 1:1 matches for people in parts of K5. Gadabuursi/Samaroon, who live in Ethiopia, are often surrounded by their sub-sub-sub-sub clans. You'll need regionally specific and finely-grained data before you make any leaps or generalizations.​

I don't think their Omotic admixture gives them a particular look. Kinky hair (though less likely) also exists in the Copts, and they are mostly Eurasian. Care to tell us why the Oromo, who have the most Omotic admixture, tend to have wavier hair than the Habeshis, who have less (on average)? Also, Barwanis and Cadcads are highly South Asian-shifted.
I never said Habesha have kinky hair, I only mentioned that wavy to curly hair is more common in Somalis compared to habesha. Actually Oromos in Bale are even less likely to have a curly 3C hair. That does not mean all of them are kinky hair and i have seen some with hairs like 2A. I actually work with so many sudanese, oromo, Eritreans and other habesha. The oromos that are heavily mixed with omotic is from Bale regions, sheshemaney, Borana and etc, while Herar and Haraghe regions have less Omotic.

The problem is that the few Gadbuursi that have inputted their cords into Vahuduo come out with minor Mota except your result, so i dont want to be biased and say all Gadabuursi get a pass for 0% Mota as reference to your result, thats biased. Also i have not made any leaps or generalization as i said and mentioned before that all results are still inconclusive. I said "In time with more somalis taking the test we will have a better picture".

Garaad Awal

I never said Habesha have kinky hair, I only mentioned that wavy to curly hair is more common in Somalis compared to habesha. Actually Oromos in Bale are even less likely to have a curly 3C hair. That does not mean all of them are kinky hair and i have seen some with hairs like 2A. I actually work with so many sudanese, oromo, Eritreans and other habesha. The oromos that are heavily mixed with omotic is from Bale regions, sheshemaney, Borana and etc, while Herar and Haraghe regions have less Omotic.

The problem is that the few Gadbuursi that have inputted their cords into Vahuduo come out with minor Mota except your result, so i dont want to be biased and say all Gadabuursi get a pass for 0% Mota as reference to your result, thats biased. Also i have not made any leaps or generalization as i said and mentioned before that all results are still inconclusive. I said "In time with more somalis taking the test we will have a better picture".
Genetic's is also random, it's never a perfect 50/50 split from each parent, it's definitely plausible for someone's parents to carry Mota or minor Arabian and for it not to be passed down to the offspring.There's also the issue of people testing with different companies and snp count, the limits of tools like G25 and people using different/flawed models etc is also to blame.

Garaad Awal

The Ari are fully Omotic and the Gumuz are Nilotes. Without the Arabian ancestry, Tigrinya folk would probably look like the Sidama
Screenshot 2023-10-21 231639.png

It's seems clear that the Somaloid-Oromoid branch emerged in the Southern Horn.The PIA ancestry in Northern Horners is probably diffused by Somaloid & Oromoid migrations north and interacting with Northern & Central Horner groups

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Interesting theory. In truth, I don't tend to care. :ftw9nwa:
My main point is we aren't all the same. And Gadabuursi settlements and marital patterns certainly make a difference. I'd like to know since someone with relatives who married groups like Gurgura, Akisho or Cissa might appear different from someone who only married neighbouring Samaroon. I saw a Cissa with elevated Mota because of where he was settled in Ethiopia. I have seen other Cissa with zero. And even our little Somali Nationalist Cissa warrior buddy @Khaemwaset has a Yemeni grandmother or great-grandmother. So yes, family history certainly matters. I even saw a Sacad Musse with zero Mota so I wouldn't make any assumptions. FYI, my great-grandmothers are Geri Kombe and Sacad Musse, yet my results are Zero. As I said before when speaking with my Samaroon kinfolk, an in-depth understanding of their family, marital, and settlement patterns matters.

Trending