Extreme Islam: What makes a young British woman turn to Salafism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
An interesting look into this growing cult.

Sometimes, the difficulty of implementing Salafi teachings – combined with never-ending hostility on the streets – became overwhelming. It was common for women to lose their initial zeal; many skipped religious lessons for months on end and some started mixing with men again. A few even got pregnant outside marriage. Others persisted, but often had to make an agonising decision to disregard the rules – for financial or other practical reasons.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/young-british-salafi-women-a7436611.html

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Weird article

They're salafi but make the same rationalizing gymnastics they say salafism is supposed to protect them from

:sheed:

"In their classes, they’re taught that non-believers face going to hell for eternity"

The goal post for extremism is always moved by these kafirs

VixR

Veritas
The article felt incomplete. There isn't any depth to it. I reckon the journalist left a lot out for someone who supposedly researched the topic for two years.
"In their classes, they’re taught that non-believers face going to hell for eternity"

That can't be too shocking. The three major monotheistic religions all teach that.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
The article felt incomplete. There isn't any depth to it. I reckon the journalist left a lot out for someone who supposedly researched the topic for two years.

That can't be too shocking. The three major monotheistic religions all teach that.

I think she did that because she's writing a book.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP

Considering the shahada is often mentioned as a marker of extremism that ain't too bad.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
I think that type of salafism is heavily associated with the very young (15-25) and converts, they're more prone to religious zeal and when it gets a bit impractical and the new high wears off they revert back to their old lifestyles.

Also one upmanship is a major problem with that set.

Sometimes I think they miss the entire point ....... But that just me. :francis:

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
I think that type of salafism is heavily associated with the very young (15-25) and converts, they're more prone to religious zeal and when it gets a bit impractical and the new high wears off they revert back to their old lifestyles.

Also one upmanship is a major problem with that set.

Sometimes I think they miss the entire point ....... But that just me. :francis:

Spot on. Salafis are so religious yet they're quick to slander a 'brother/sister' if they don't fit in with the rest or seen with a non-Salafi person. It's as if, the concept of practice what you preach goes over their heads.

I know someone who got banned from going to the Birmingham Salafi mosque for simply praying in another Salafi mosque in the same area.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
What has my head turning is why any woman would want to actively live as nothing more than a consenting slave? Obeying your husband, giving yourself to your husband at an instant (basically leaves no place for rape), not leaving your house without a mahrim and so on. Why live a life of slavery?! Maybe I'm seeing it wrong...

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
What has my head turning is why any woman would want to actively live as nothing more than a consenting slave? Obeying your husband, giving yourself to your husband at an instant (basically leaves no place for rape), not leaving your house without a mahrim and so on. Why live a life of slavery?! Maybe I'm seeing it wrong...

I prefer a man to take a leadership role I don't know why that's so wrong? :oops:

201409_2314_fibhc.jpg

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
It's fine if you like a man taking the charge and you being submissive, but demanding that on the society is wrong.

I was repying to the guy pathologizing the default family structure in nearly every society throughout history. He mentioned that he couldn't understand why a woman would want that kind of a set up.

I said I liked it. That is all. I didn't make the rules brother. I just stated my preference, and many many many other women's preferences albeit to varying degrees.

Not everyone can kowtow to the progressive hivemind.

VixR

Veritas
I see it the same way. Frankly, I don't see any women being followed everywhere with mahrims on my ends Idk about u guys. There's a lot of things that aren't being followed to a T, that just don't vibe out here.

In all religions say that non believers will burn in hell.
that's my point. Kafirs do not care what is in the Quran, they'll want Muslims to denounce Islam as much as possible. "You need to reform Islam", "surely you don't agree with xyz in the Quran", "This part has no place in modern society, I will only engage with you if you denounce this xyz"

4:89:
They wish you would disbelieve as they disbelieved so you would be alike.

I prefer a man to take a leadership role I don't know why that's so wrong? :oops:

Haven't you heard? Woman are now more educated than men. It's all about equality now. Women will now have to take leadership of the relationship, start paying for the relationship, etc. All while getting pregnant, working during pregnancy and then going back to work and leaving the baby behind. Get with the times!

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
I was repying to the guy pathologizing the default family structure in nearly every society throughout history. He mentioned that he couldn't understand why a woman would want that kind of a set up.

I said I liked it. That is all. I didn't make the rules brother. I just stated my preference, and many many many other women's preferences albeit to varying degrees.

Not everyone can kowtow to the progressive hivemind.

Look, if that's what you want then live and let live but please, don't present it as a 'preference' because it isn't. It's a religious commandment to do those things and going against them vilifies you. For example, the angels curse the women who refuse to give themselves to their husbands. If you want to be submissive, then this works out for you but it doesn't work out for those who don't want to be.

The majority of Muslims don't follow this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.