Harar is named after a Somali tree

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
I am currently going through The Suicidal State in Somalia: The Rise and Fall of the Siad Barre Regime, 1969-1991. Its really badly written, some have even accused him washing Barre's hands free of some the blood.
But none the less I am going through it, for a number of reasons, chiefly to familiarise myself with the events from a few sides.

Writting's on Barre seems sparse though or perhaps I am not looking in the right places. I have also come across two books on the marxists.org archives section:

There is also this thread on SomaliSpot that I found useful as well for potential alternative sources to non-fiction literature. On second thought, I cant find the link to it on this PC, I will add it later.
Thank you for these ill have a read through

@Khaemwaset
Here is the SomaliSpot thread I could not find yesterday, Challenge: Name me 3 positive things Siyaad Barre has done.
It was an interesting thread with very interesting for and against points being raised in regards to Siad Barre.

In post #36, the thread creator, Periplus, answers a question with regards to finding unbiased historical writings and records on the Barre era:
Honestly, the best sources about the Barre administration is news articles at the time from Western journalists. Due to Somalia allying with the US in the 1970s, American journalists got unprecedented access to Barre's press conferences and Somalia.
Another book of interest is Safiirka by the American ambassador during the 1980s, he regularly met Barre and the ministers due to being one of the main financiers of his regime.

Safirka: An American Envoy by Peter S. Bridges

In hindsight, this book, looks to be far more promising, since its author was directly dealing with Barre and his regime.

Khaemwaset

VIP
@Khaemwaset
Here is the SomaliSpot thread I could not find yesterday, Challenge: Name me 3 positive things Siyaad Barre has done.
It was an interesting thread with very interesting for and against points being raised in regards to Siad Barre.

In post #36, the thread creator, Periplus, answers a question with regards to finding unbiased historical writings and records on the Barre era:

Safirka: An American Envoy by Peter S. Bridges

In hindsight, this book, looks to be far more promising, since its author was directly dealing with Barre and his regime.
That's actually a great idea. To look through US reports **At the time** would give us a clearer image of Barre and Somalia at the time jn general than the books and what is said about him all these years later.

Khaemwaset

VIP
Holy fucking shit these habasha
1722196591796.png

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
Holy fucking shit these habasha
View attachment 336385
We really gotta ask why Ethiopian trolls are editing Somali related articles on wiki and why do they have such immunity even when they’ve gotten reported multiple times. Editors like Magherbin have been doing this for over ten years now and he’s been blocking off Somali editors from correcting his Ethiopianist agenda.

Last edited:

Khaemwaset

VIP
We really gotta ask why and how Ethiopian trolls are editing and changing Somali related articles on wiki. Editors like Magherbin have been doing this for over ten years now and he’s been blocking off Somali editors from correcting his Ethiopianist agenda.
I'm currently in an edit war and will probably get banned of wiki for "original research" This man deletes all my work within 10 minutes or less

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
I'm currently in an edit war and will probably get banned of wiki for "original research" This man deletes all my work within 10 minutes or less
We really do need to find a way to stop this type of stuff from happening. I’ve seen it before and even reported them myself.

@Khaemwaset
For this kind of situation, I would try to familiarise myself with the culture and politics of Wikipedia.

Like any organised publicly sourced effort, there are conventions and precedents that are malleable, unlike the organisations rules. There is a whole industry on this, its how celebrities and public figures control and influence their pages

its how groups like the ADL got away with printing outright fabricated lies for so long before finally being called out by the internal Wikipedia team, ie Wikipedia now labels the top Jewish civil rights group as an unreliable source.

I suspect its a long and arduous game though, and one where you will not be engaging in much of what you love about this process in the first place, but its a pathway and if this is your passion I would say to search communities of where such people hang out, how the public effort for Wikipedia editorial is organised etc etc.

Personally I would not recommend it. There is a reason why only the worst cretins become reddit mods, twitter jannies etc etc. Perhaps, I would think, its high time to start writting a book.

Last edited:

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
Keep in mind he probably lives with his mom at the ripe age of 42 and only wears boxers, edit it at different tz and see how quick the response is.

Wikipedia has been a clown show for a long time, even its former creator disowned it. The recent Yasuke debacle is just another example of wikipedia's propaganda.

Khaemwaset

VIP
@Khaemwaset
For this kind of situation, I would try to familiarise myself with the culture and politics of Wikipedia.

Like any organised publicly sourced effort, there are conventions and precedents that are malleable, unlike the organisations rules. There is a whole industry on this, its how celebrities and public figures control and influence their pages

its how groups like the ADL got away with printing outright fabricated lies for so long before finally being called out by the internal Wikipedia team, ie Wikipedia now labels the top Jewish civil rights group as an unreliable source.

I suspect its a long and arduous game though, and one where you will not be engaging in much of what you love about this process in the first place, but its a pathway and if this is your passion I would say to search communities of where such people hang out, how the public effort for Wikipedia editorial is organised etc etc.

Personally I would not recommend it. There is a reason why only the worst cretins become reddit mods, twitter jannies etc etc. Perhaps, I would think, its high time to start writting a book.
Yeah writing a book is my only option, I'm currently being targeted by two Ethiopians in America who are doing an edit war with me. Within 10 minuted of me putting my writing up they remove it. But since one of them had been on 9 years and is high ranking I risk getting banned

Khaemwaset

VIP
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Yeah he tried that with me last night and dropped some messages in thr talk section. Instead of crashing out and getting banned I just left Wiki. I'll see what I can do with that site but for now I'll focus on writing Somali history off wiki. Such as academic works inshallah

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
Yeah he tried that with me last night and dropped some messages in thr talk section. Instead of crashing out and getting banned I just left Wiki. I'll see what I can do with that site but for now I'll focus on writing Somali history off wiki. Such as academic works inshallah
Waste of time, the board of editors looks like this, best research and release a book.
1722278961319.png

@Khaemwaset
While you are at it, consider platforms like Substack and Patreon (feel free to research alternative too), many journalist, authors and artists (Painters, Sculptors) use Substack as a front page and use it to engage with their readership. There are fairly respectable people on there such as Grenwald, Finklestein, Mohamed El-Doufani and so on.

Dont let these names give you a narrow impression, it has a wide scope and is particularly resilient against the kind of issues you experienced on there. Slowly you could build a readership, who could even monetarily support your work.

Khaemwaset

VIP
@Khaemwaset

While you are at it, consider platforms like Substack and Patreon (feel free to research alternative too), many journalist, authors and artists (Painters, Sculptors) use Substack as a front page and use it to engage with their readership. There are fairly respectable people on there such as Grenwald, Finklestein, Mohamed El-Doufani and so on.

Dont let these names give you a narrow impression, it has a wide scope and is particularly resilient against the kind of issues you experienced on there. Slowly you could build a readership, who could even monetarily support your work.
Yeah sxb I've made an article on Subtack about Punt and proving jt was Somali a while back but now I'm free I'll go back to my page and continue making more articles on Somali history. Eventually I'll get better in my skills and be able to create academic works inshallah

Trending

Latest posts