Harari family names that are somali

Emir of Harar

Make Harar Great Again
I was reading through Harari family names. Unlike somalis they get their family name based on a pious ancestor and everyone. For example the Imam family are descendants of Imam Ahmed Gurey. Here are some family names I found to be very somali:

Barkhadle (very common somali name used till today and is one of the older somali names)

Barre (older somalis used this name often like former dictator of somalia Siyad Barre),

Borama (a city in northern somalia)

Duale (another somali name it means the one who makes dua),

fudi gelle (it's the gelle part specifically not fudi which means 🍑 in gey sinan. So their family name means geel 🍑:mjlol:)

Garad (both hararis and somalis use garad)

Liban (this is also somali meaning blessed)

Muqdish(sounds like muqdisho/mogadishu)

Sarkal (means lieutenant in somali)

Ugaz (the somali ugas elders)

War gar (means receive message)

Warfa (many somali clans are named warfa)

Yare (means small in somali)

Note that this is around a good 25%-35% of the harari family names. I would be interested in getting DNA samples from all families to see if they're related to somalis. And to add in many of the family names sounded oromo so I believe they might also have oromo admixture.

Last edited:

Emir of Harar

Make Harar Great Again
most of those are traditional Somali names what percentage of Hararis would you say have Somali roots ?

Hard to tell tbh their entire population is around 100k-200k, most living outside Harar. But as the names suggest they most likely descend from somalis who went there. I remember a Harari man from the warfa family saying he's warfa and related to Ogaden when I was in harar. Brother even learnt somali fluently

Bari

Garabsare
I was reading through Harari family names. Unlike somalis they get their family name based on a pious ancestor and everyone. For example the Imam family are descendants of Imam Ahmed Gurey. Here are some family names I found to be very somali:

Barkhadle (very common somali name used till today and is one of the older somali names)

Barre (older somalis used this name often like former dictator of somalia Siyad Barre),

Borama (a city in northern somalia)

Duale (another somali name it means the one who makes dua),

fudi gelle (it's the gelle part specifically not fudi which means 🍑 in gey sinan. So their family name means geel 🍑:mjlol:)

Garad (both hararis and somalis use garad)

Liban (this is also somali meaning blessed)

Muqdish(sounds like muqdisho/mogadishu)

Sarkal (means lieutenant in somali)

Ugaz (the somali ugas elders)

War gar (means receive message)

Warfa (many somali clans are named warfa)

Yare (means small in somali)

Note that this is around a good 25%-35% of the harari family names. I would be interested in getting DNA samples from all families to see if they're related to somalis. And to add in many of the family names sounded oromo so I believe they might also have oromo admixture.
How much Somali Dna would a harari have on average

I looked up harari names came across FB page that list is

I recognized a few other ones myself like Giridle , Gunale, Waaber, Wanag, Nageyo(Nageye), Bulale , Dirir , Suban , Waraabo(Waraabe), Shirwaa(Shirwaac) , Dini

There are also names with Malaq which is a title that means ''War Leader'' in Somali.

Even Waaqo, Kenawaq lmaoo . The other names that end with up with ''le'' which means ''with'' in Somali language might be Somali.

Hard to tell tbh their entire population is around 100k-200k, most living outside Harar. But as the names suggest they most likely descend from somalis who went there. I remember a Harari man from the warfa family saying he's warfa and related to Ogaden when I was in harar. Brother even learnt somali fluently

I don't think they are 100-200k , if you are basing it on the inhabitants inside the city or aound it most of them nowadays are oromo and some are amhara.

From what i've read Somalis and Hararis have ben dispossed of their land , property and ethnically cleansed and became a minority.

Last edited:
I remember meeting a Harari female who was Majerteen and she knew her abtiris. Also met tons of Hararis who are Sheekhaal Aw Qutub. I’ve also been told there are some who know they are Samaroon and Marexaan there too. But yet have to meet them. Definitely a place I want to visit iA.

Emir of Harar

Make Harar Great Again
I looked up harari names came across FB page that list is

I recognized a few other ones myself like Giridle , Gunale, Waaber, Wanag, Nageyo(Nageye), Bulale , Dirir , Suban , Waraabo(Waraabe), Shirwaa(Shirwaac) , Dini

There are also names with Malaq which is a title that means ''War Leader'' in Somali.

Even Waaqo, Kenawaq lmaoo . The other names that end with up with ''le'' which means ''with'' in Somali language might be Somali.

Yeah I saw these names aswell. Thought they might be somali but wasn't too sure.

I don't think they are 100-200k , if you are basing it on the inhabitants inside the city or aound it most of them nowadays are oromo and some are amhara.

From what i've read Somalis and Hararis have ben dispossed of their land , property and ethnically cleansed and became a minority.

No I am basing it of the fact that 50,000-70,000 are inside Ethiopia based on the 2021 election data. Most hararis are diaspora and ran away from the country during the prosecutions and displacement from 1887 to 1991. So could be possible that twice the amount are abroad.

There's no data available on that
There are individuals who do 23andMe. All of them I saw (if I recall correctly; could be the exception of one) had Somali ancestry, peaking at ~30% from a handful. I think it is between 15-35%, roughly, fluctuating also bellow and above.

The Harari people are of several clans, several of them were historically attested to be of the local Somali variations, others clearly of other groups. The concept of 'Adre' ethnicity today is a later conception that ethnicized around an urbanist city culture during a later period, not something that was in place during relevant Islamic history.

Emir of Harar

Make Harar Great Again
I remember meeting a Harari female who was Majerteen and she knew her abtiris. Also met tons of Hararis who are Sheekhaal Aw Qutub. I’ve also been told there are some who know they are Samaroon and Marexaan there too. But yet have to meet them. Definitely a place I want to visit iA.
As the legend goes, after Emir Nur built the wall the city closed off for a good 60ish years where they only opened the gates for trade. When the doors first closed everyone in the city denounced their clan affiliations and took up the identity of being Harari

Emir of Harar

Make Harar Great Again
There are individuals who do 23andMe. All of them I saw (if I recall correctly; could be the exception of one) had Somali ancestry, peaking at ~30% from a handful. I think it is between 15-35%, roughly, fluctuating also bellow and above.

The Harari people are of several clans, several of them were historically attested to be of the local Somali variations, others clearly of other groups. The concept of 'Adre' ethnicity today is a later conception that ethnicized around an urbanist city culture during a later period, not something that was in place during relevant Islamic history.
That's something new. I am not very educated on this topic but willing to learn. And yes its true about the Adare ethnicity being fairly recent as I replied to another person about the story behind it
As the legend goes, after Emir Nur built the wall the city closed off for a good 60ish years where they only opened the gates for trade. When the doors first closed everyone in the city denounced their clan affiliations and took up the identity of being Harari

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
Various Somali clans used to live in or around Harar before the Futah, it's even in the maps, The Samaroon/Gadabursi moved all back to Awdal/Awbarre area to repeal the Oromo hordes.
My grandmother used to live in Harar in the 70's, I assume the current population has been mixing long before the walls were put in place, they were killed off by Selaisse in the 20th century and are now at the mercy of the Oromos.

That's something new. I am not very educated on this topic but willing to learn. And yes its true about the Adare ethnicity being fairly recent as I replied to another person about the story behind it
I think part of why they went towards an urbanized-ethno mode is because of how their other admixture of incoming south-Ethiopic-Sidamic people had fewer agnatic tribal comittments and were initiated into the establishments of Somalis that created the ground for cosmopolitanism. We also have to factor in that clans function differently in different contexts. We can't also not account for the Abissinyan influence during the late pre-colonial period a specific type of city identity urban living after 1887 that homogenized much of current Ethiopia.

No I am basing it of the fact that 50,000-70,000 are inside Ethiopia based on the 2021 election data. Most hararis are diaspora and ran away from the country during the prosecutions and displacement from 1887 to 1991. So could be possible that twice the amount are abroad.

You guys should create a diaspora movement to actively return to Harar on a annual basis by investing in businesses, marry locals, educate the kids in Geysinan, built mosques and community centres in important areas of the city, and reinforce your identity through radio, tv and other cultural mediums.

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
You guys should create a diaspora movement to actively return to Harar on a annual basis by investing in businesses, marry locals, educate the kids in Geysinan, built mosques and community centres in important areas of the city, and reinforce your identity through radio, tv and other cultural mediums.
He's Somali no?

Emir of Harar

Make Harar Great Again
Yes we're already doing that and the Australian harari diaspora has done that. We got the https://harar.city/ website and teach the young geysinan

Trending