Hot dogs ?

Do you think dogs have evolved enough to us fire

• yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Did you know that dog have learned how to start fires on there own? This is becoming a common thing now of day. So far there has been 2500 of them in the past 3 years. Do you think dogs have evolved enough to us fire?

Did you know that dog have learned how to start fires on there own? This is becoming a common thing now of day. So far there has been 2500 of them in the past 3 years. Do you think dogs have evolved enough to us fire?

Dogs are good companions and are pretty intelligent but in Somali society it’s viewed as a wild animal like a bird or a squirrel. I don’t know why it wasn’t ever really part of the nomadic pastoral way of life, the only interactions I would say is fishermen in coastal area’s feeding them. There’s endless uses, their sense of smell can help find a bee hive if you train it, it can herd and protect livestock from hyena’s, help against locust in crops ext..

Last edited:
Dogs are good companions and are pretty intelligent but in Somali society it’s viewed as a wild animal like a bird or a squirrel. I don’t know why it wasn’t ever really part of the nomadic pastoral way of life, the only interactions I would say is fishermen in coastal area’s feeding them. There’s endless uses, their sense of smell can help find a bee hive if you train it, it can herd and protect livestock from hyena’s, help against locust in crops ext..
Sxb don't worry I'm gone bring a herd of corgi's. They are actually good a wrangling sheep. They nip at the sheep legs to get them where they should go. They good trainable dog and extremely smart.

Bille

Sidii roon Raba og
I don’t know why it wasn’t ever really part of the nomadic pastoral way of life, the only interactions I would say is fishermen in coastal area’s feeding them. There’s endless uses, their sense of smell can help find a bee hive if you train it, it can herd and protect livestock from hyena’s, help against locust in crops ext..

During the day time nomadic people normally use their teenage children to take care of the livestock. But yes you are right at night time a couple of guard dogs could have kept the nomadic family and their livestock safe. Because most hungry waraabe, dacawo and libaaxs do their attacks at night time or early in the morning.

Sa_Male

IWasTheNiggaOnHereCalledTruthBomber
Ancient somalis used dogs.

Sa_Male

how do you know?
Dogs are actually, funnily enough, an original part of our culture. They seem to have been lost and forgotten rapidly after the 1800s or early 1900s due to the mentality in the magaalo spreading throughout the country in time:

But during the 1800s it seems most nomadic Somali and even some reer Tuulo had dogs so much so that you could tell they were nearby through the sound of barking:

Source: First Footsteps in East Africa by Richard Burton. He travelled across much of the north all the way to Harar and many times was a guest to different local leaders, meeting everything from various different Daroods, Isaaqs, Dirs and even Hawiyes so it's interesting how he describes the presence of dogs like this as a normal part of Somali culture and not isolated to one tribe.

There is also the fact that dogs were part of the original Cushitic cultural package when our ancestors began migrating from Sudan as early as 3000 BCE. They brought cattle, goats, sheep, donkeys and dogs with them and display as much in several of their cave paintings:

Arabians were similarly laden with dogs historically. They even have a specific and currently well-known breed the Bedouin used to be quite affectionate toward to the point of letting them into their tents:

But with them as well the Reer Magaal (Xadhar) mentality toward them, that I think grew more extreme since movements like that of Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab, spread and became more uniform. Nowhere is it stated they are xaraan, saaxiib. It's just their saliva and getting it on you requiring you redo your ablution before praying. The only mention of dogs in the Qur'an itself, from what I remember, is like one story that was actually positive.

They are good, loyal and useful beasts especially for one on a farm/ranch. Somalis need to let this absurd fear and hatred of them go, I reckon.

Avalanche

Guul iyo Gobanimo
VIP
I have heard that dogs were used by nomads back in the days

Ancient somalis used dogs.
Shimbris's post is very informative to say the least. Back in the mid to late 90s, it was very common place to see dogs on the beech shores of cities like Kismayo and Barawe with people feeding them. But yes people and children were encouraged not to intermix with them.

Its the same for Somalis in the UK too. So its a very welcome discovery for me to know that it was just until recently that we actually had a close relationship with them.

Even more interesting, Shimbris is citing Wahabism as one possible source as the cause of dogs being severed from our culture, I have had many suspicions of that movement with regards to our culture, this just adds to it.

I will look very closely into the sources he linked to and see for myself. Maybe its not so out of the imagination to have a dog...

Thanks for sharing that informative post by Shimbris, much appreciated.

Sa_Male

Shimbris's post is very informative to say the least. Back in the mid to late 90s, it was very common place to see dogs on the beech shores of cities like Kismayo and Barawe with people feeding them. But yes people and children were encouraged not to intermix with them.

Its the same for Somalis in the UK too. So its a very welcome discovery for me to know that it was just until recently that we actually had a close relationship with them.

Even more interesting, Shimbris is citing Wahabism as one possible source as the cause of dogs being severed from our culture, I have had many suspicions of that movement with regards to our culture, this just adds to it.

I will look very closely into the sources he linked to and see for myself. Maybe its not so out of the imagination to have a dog...

Thanks for sharing that informative post by Shimbris, much appreciated.
No problem mate, there's so much interesting info In this forum wallahi. In hargeisa today there's dogs everywhere and the locals give them food etc, only saw 2 or 3 in burco tho, one of the local kids on burco had a puppy he was looking after and the was friendly and sat outside the house.

Trending

Latest posts