Identity crisis

I won't argue much against ur post.
The points u touched on are mostly valid.

Us looking SLIGHTLY different than some west Africans mostly being due to generationally intermixing with different ethnic African groups is FACT! I see variations of that truth in my own fam HEAVY.

Some like Fulani, Some look Yoruba, some look like they str8 from Senegal. I'm not an exception to this rule. My own grandfather is the spitting image of Ali Farka Toure (Musician from Mali) - That blew me fr when I was 1st introduced to his music.

It's something I've noticed for a while now & it even explains why some of us beef with one another even tho we're seemingly the same ethnic group.

The problem is most AA's dont even know their own history. Hard to pry facts outta someone if they take pride in not knowing ish.

Example: The person on reddit who gave the rundown on the Geechi missed one CRUCIAL point.

Geechi/Gullah people started off isolated mostly in lower country coastal South Carolina - West Africa is the only place I'm aware of outside of Asia that had a working knowledge of growing rice crops. They exploited that skillset tenfold in that region.

Theirs a reason South Carolina back in those days were the biggest cultivators of rice.

Geechi is more of a culture tho, my grandparents were geechi & u knew they were geechi from the way they spoke.

Geechis are american black people that started off in South Carolina, & migrated to mainly coastal Georgia & Florida.

The old Geechi are among the last surviving US subgroups to hold STRONG ties to Africa - (new Geechi myself included are watered down versions of our ancestors) , they had a speech pattern similar to those from the Caribbean, & if u didn't grow up around that type of talk - u might as well stay on mute in their presence.

As a kid I used to be so lost in the sauce tryin to decipher what my grandaddy was telling me. Sometimes all I could do is nod🀣

Don't let the mixed people of Louisiana fool u, Louisiana people are some of the purest Africans in this country, Florida too.

Louisiana/Florida - among american blacks being the purest

All other blacks in the southeastern US are close seconds it's not even close. Many of us look at blacks from other regions in the US as not being as authentic kinda like y'all have klan wars amongst y'all selves on this forum.

It's funny as hellπŸ˜†πŸ§¬πŸ€£
I watched a documentary on the Gullah/geechi people I heard a lot of them migrated from the Carolina’s to the east coast like NY,jersey,Philly during the great migration is that true

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
VIP
I won't argue much against ur post.
The points u touched on are mostly valid.

Us looking SLIGHTLY different than some west Africans mostly being due to generationally intermixing with different ethnic African groups is FACT! I see variations of that truth in my own fam HEAVY.

Some like Fulani, Some look Yoruba, some look like they str8 from Senegal. I'm not an exception to this rule. My own grandfather is the spitting image of Ali Farka Toure (Musician from Mali) - That blew me fr when I was 1st introduced to his music.

It's something I've noticed for a while now & it even explains why some of us beef with one another even tho we're seemingly the same ethnic group.

The problem is most AA's dont even know their own history. Hard to pry facts outta someone if they take pride in not knowing ish.

Example: The person on reddit who gave the rundown on the Geechi missed one CRUCIAL point.

Geechi/Gullah people started off isolated mostly in lower country coastal South Carolina - West Africa is the only place I'm aware of outside of Asia that had a working knowledge of growing rice crops. They exploited that skillset tenfold in that region.

Theirs a reason South Carolina back in those days were the biggest cultivators of rice.

Geechi is more of a culture tho, my grandparents were geechi & u knew they were geechi from the way they spoke.

Geechis are american black people that started off in South Carolina, & migrated to mainly coastal Georgia & Florida.

The old Geechi are among the last surviving US subgroups to hold STRONG ties to Africa - (new Geechi myself included are watered down versions of our ancestors) , they had a speech pattern similar to those from the Caribbean, & if u didn't grow up around that type of talk - u might as well stay on mute in their presence.

As a kid I used to be so lost in the sauce tryin to decipher what my grandaddy was telling me. Sometimes all I could do is nod🀣

Don't let the mixed people of Louisiana fool u, Louisiana people are some of the purest Africans in this country, Florida too.

Louisiana/Florida - among american blacks being the purest

All other blacks in the southeastern US are close seconds it's not even close. Many of us look at blacks from other regions in the US as not being as authentic kinda like y'all have klan wars amongst y'all selves on this forum.

It's funny as hellπŸ˜†πŸ§¬πŸ€£
Thats interesting, due to isolation the geechi were able to maintain strong ties to Africa and the way youre describing it, I assume they spoke in some type of creole. So what led to this difference between like you said authentic african americans and the other types. I lost the source I was reading, but they were talking about how the slave owners lived far away from the coast to avoid malaria so that could be one reason why the geechi of coastal swampy south carolina, similar climates exist in Florida and Louisiana which supports what you were saying about 'authentic' africans here in america.

But when we say 'authentic' africans, what exactly are we talking about here. Are we talking about an amalgamation of multiple african groups free of influence. or a single closely related group that were able to stay isolated and maintain their cultures from back home.

This makes sense, but still trying to connect phonotypes to genetics isnt always straightfoward.

Is this among geechi only or all african americans, Usually they all get along as one group. Maybe some city beef on which region is better. But absolutely nothing like what clan wars are going on here. Kinda find it funny honestly, klan wars is nuts

I watched a documentary on the Gullah/geechi people I heard a lot of them migrated from the Carolina’s to the east coast like NY,jersey,Philly during the great migration is that true

Some did, but most Blacks from the migration period left sporadically. That's how we ended up across the US.

For Geechis, the vast majority fled to coastal areas south of South Carolina.
I don't know.. they like water for some reason.
Coastal GA all the way down to coastal Central Florida.

A culture like that couldn't survive in NY because it would get absorbed.
Grouping with blacks from the northeast would have erased any cultural traits they were able to retain.

The culture lingered around outside of South Carolina for the opposite of the northeast problem. The older generations from the southeast already spoke a diluted version of Geechi. So while it was mostly almost dead, in the southeast for that reason it took a lot longer to die than say families that relocated to Jersey or NY.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It’s not all of them, but I find it weird how some AA’s try to steal other peoples identity. Whether it’s native Americans, ancient Egyptians, or ancient Israelites. These weirdos claim to be everything under the sun except west African, which is where they ACTUALLY come from. It’s literally taught to them in school that their enslaved ancestors were all shipped to America from the coast of west Africa, so I don’t understand why they have an identity crisis? They know where they came from. If they want more, just do a DNA test. Not that hard.

You should read up on the Black Hebrew Israelites, these people are delusional. And the worst part is how many famous black celebrities genuinely seem to believe in this nonsense, some of these black celebrities seem to be dumb enough to believe they descended from ancient Egyptians, babylonians, Israelites or China. Bunch of weirdos.

It just goes to show how mainstream these weird beliefs are among African Americans. They might not say it out loud, but I’m surprised by how many secretly believe in these conspiracies behind closed doors.

Thats interesting, due to isolation the geechi were able to maintain strong ties to Africa and the way youre describing it, I assume they spoke in some type of creole. So what led to this difference between like you said authentic african americans and the other types. I lost the source I was reading, but they were talking about how the slave owners lived far away from the coast to avoid malaria so that could be one reason why the geechi of coastal swampy south carolina, similar climates exist in Florida and Louisiana which supports what you were saying about 'authentic' africans here in america.

But when we say 'authentic' africans, what exactly are we talking about here. Are we talking about an amalgamation of multiple african groups free of influence. or a single closely related group that were able to stay isolated and maintain their cultures from back home.

This makes sense, but still trying to connect phonotypes to genetics isnt always straightfoward.

Is this among geechi only or all african americans, Usually they all get along as one group. Maybe some city beef on which region is better. But absolutely nothing like what clan wars are going on here. Kinda find it funny honestly, klan wars is nuts

That's the thing.. The social network diverges for a few different reasons. Geechi to most Blacks that actually know about Geechi people usually means one thing. Language - they definitely spoke a type of creole. Think Barbados/ Jamaican patwa

I'll put it like this.
All black people, (AA) can trace their lineages back to the south. & The south is the jumpoff point for modern day black american language (ebonics).
Geechi talk is the mother of ebonics, & the father obviously being actual African languages.It was created due to the reasons you alluded to in ur original post.

American blacks not being a monolith & trying to make sense of all the different languages we were exposed to once we arrived here.

Imagine a 1st gen yoruba person attempting to conversate with a 1st gen Fulani person side by side in the fields. I bet that ish was frustrating as hell, unless the groups that worked with each other had familiarity with one another due to contact on the continent.

That sort of language rift between them is what birthed Geechi on the plantations.

It was disrupted when people would use Geechi to play underneath white people & organize rebellions & escape attempts.

To the swamps they went.. Malaria didn't spook the mayo committee from entering the swamps geechi niggas with guns did. Double whammy because many had pacts with natives & used to ally with them to str8 up wage warfare on whites.
Once discovered & confronted they'd attack & overwhelm the pinks to retreat back to the swamps. Theirs actually old articles from the 1800s that shed light on this.

Haven't read the history in a while but most whites knew better than to enter the swamps.That's how a segment of Geechis ended up isolated.

Pockets of Geechi still existed on plantations throughout the south but they kept all that Geechi talk to themselves for obvious reasons.

Time went on & the language became more mainstream.

The authentic sentiment I was referring to mostly existed during the 90s - I was still a child, but old enough to understand what people were talking about.

In 2024 it's dead. Maybe older people still feel that way but my generation probably aren't even aware of the history.

Florida & Louisiana people are basically the fobs of black America.

They have ties to both the Geechi migration & Haiti.
Florida's ties to Haiti is more modern & manifest itself physically (hair) & Louisiana straddles both sides of the fence with 2 different Creoles both Haitian kreyol & Geechi.

The Haitian connection to both is a whole other topic, but it's relevant because both groups shaped our current realities.

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
VIP
That's the thing.. The social network diverges for a few different reasons. Geechi to most Blacks that actually know about Geechi people usually means one thing. Language - they definitely spoke a type of creole. Think Barbados/ Jamaican patwa

I'll put it like this.
All black people, (AA) can trace their lineages back to the south. & The south is the jumpoff point for modern day black american language (ebonics).
Geechi talk is the mother of ebonics, & the father obviously being actual African languages.It was created due to the reasons you alluded to in ur original post.

American blacks not being a monolith & trying to make sense of all the different languages we were exposed to once we arrived here.

Imagine a 1st gen yoruba person attempting to conversate with a 1st gen Fulani person side by side in the fields. I bet that ish was frustrating as hell, unless the groups that worked with each other had familiarity with one another due to contact on the continent.

That sort of language rift between them is what birthed Geechi on the plantations.

It was disrupted when people would use Geechi to play underneath white people & organize rebellions & escape attempts.

To the swamps they went.. Malaria didn't spook the mayo committee from entering the swamps geechi niggas with guns did. Double whammy because many had pacts with natives & used to ally with them to str8 up wage warfare on whites.
Once discovered & confronted they'd attack & overwhelm the pinks to retreat back to the swamps. Theirs actually old articles from the 1800s that shed light on this.

Haven't read the history in a while but most whites knew better than to enter the swamps.That's how a segment of Geechis ended up isolated.

Pockets of Geechi still existed on plantations throughout the south but they kept all that Geechi talk to themselves for obvious reasons.

Time went on & the language became more mainstream.

The authentic sentiment I was referring to mostly existed during the 90s - I was still a child, but old enough to understand what people were talking about.

In 2024 it's dead. Maybe older people still feel that way but my generation probably aren't even aware of the history.

Florida & Louisiana people are basically the fobs of black America.

They have ties to both the Geechi migration & Haiti.
Florida's ties to Haiti is more modern & manifest itself physically (hair) & Louisiana straddles both sides of the fence with 2 different Creoles both Haitian kreyol & Geechi.

The Haitian connection to both is a whole other topic, but it's relevant because both groups shaped our current realities.
That is extremely interesting, I dont have much time to look further into this right now but this really has given me a big insight

Trending

Latest posts