Invocations of Tiniix and Tincaaro in Poetry

I came across poems by Gaarriye and Hadraawi that reference these figures. I assumed they were pre-Islamic gods who had faded from active worship but still exist in literature, similar to how Hoobaal is hypothesized to be a vestigial deity by some. However, I recently read a book on Somali folklore, written by, I believe, Maxamed Daahir Afrax, that identified them as an ancient king and queen.

Haddii qalinka loo tudho
Wax qoraalka laga tago,
Lama taabbaggeli karo.
Waaq iyo Tinniix iyo
Bal Tincaaro
weyddii,
Soo tiri ayaamaha,
Taariikhda raacdee!

—"Ta’iyo Wow”, Gaarriye

Wax la yidhi tin caarow
Looxa waad ku taallaye
Haddii Alifki kaa tiray
Ta'da yaa u magac dhaban?

Wuxu yidhi sir baa taxan
Tartankay ka mudan tahay
Taban taabshaheeduna
Nin tar sheegta ma oggola
Waxes teeyo lagu dhaqay
Halaan awrba loo tu'in
Ninkii tuudiyaa falan

Wax la yidhi Tinniixow
Tu Allaba ku biirsoo
Xaggee taadu sudhan tahay
Warka nooga tibix sii?

—“Taawilo”, Hadraawi

Tincaws also sometimes comes up with Tiniix instead of Caaro, or seemingly as part of a triumvirate of sorts. Has anyone heard of these figures?

I came across poems by Gaarriye and Hadraawi that reference these figures. I assumed they were pre-Islamic gods who had faded from active worship but still exist in literature, similar to how Hoobaal is hypothesized to be a vestigial deity by some. However, I recently read a book on Somali folklore, written by, I believe, Maxamed Daahir Afrax, that identified them as an ancient king and queen.

Haddii qalinka loo tudho
Wax qoraalka laga tago,
Lama taabbaggeli karo.
Waaq iyo Tinniix iyo
Bal Tincaaro
weyddii,
Soo tiri ayaamaha,
Taariikhda raacdee!

—"Ta’iyo Wow”, Gaarriye

Wax la yidhi tin caarow
Looxa waad ku taallaye
Haddii Alifki kaa tiray

Wuxu yidhi sir baa taxan
Tartankay ka mudan tahay
Taban taabshaheeduna
Waxes teeyo lagu dhaqay
Halaan awrba loo tu'in
Ninkii tuudiyaa falan

Wax la yidhi Tinniixow
Tu Allaba ku biirsoo
Warka nooga tibix sii?

—“Taawilo”, Hadraawi

Tincaws also sometimes comes up with Tiniix instead of Caaro, or seemingly as part of a triumvirate of sorts. Has anyone heard of these figures?
Not gonna lie this sounds really interesting I'd heard of hubaal. But I didn't think there were any others . But if this is an anicnet king or queen that's even more interesting.

Haddii qalinka loo tudho
Wax qoraalka laga tago,
Lama taabbaggeli karo.
Waaq iyo Tinniix iyo
Bal Tincaaro
weyddii,
Soo tiri ayaamaha,
Taariikhda raacdee!

—"Ta’iyo Wow”, Gaarriye

Wax la yidhi tin caarow
Looxa waad ku taallaye
Haddii Alifki kaa tiray

Wuxu yidhi sir baa taxan
Tartankay ka mudan tahay
Taban taabshaheeduna
Waxes teeyo lagu dhaqay
Halaan awrba loo tu'in
Ninkii tuudiyaa falan

Wax la yidhi Tinniixow
Tu Allaba ku biirsoo
Warka nooga tibix sii?

—“Taawilo”, Hadraawi

They were the queen and the king of the titan (tiiriyat) race that ruled Somalia before the coming of Islam. They lived on clouds and would push themselves through the air with camel bones and the holes those bones made are the wells the Somalis use today.

They were the queen and the king of the titan (tiiriyat) race that ruled Somalia before the coming of Islam. They lived on clouds and would push themselves through the air with camel bones and the holes those bones made are the wells the Somalis use today.
Do you where I can find more information about this. Are there other preislamic historical or mythical people were aware of?

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
Not gonna lie this sounds really interesting I'd heard of hubaal. But I didn't think there were any others . But if this is an anicnet king or queen that's even more interesting.
I knew I heard it from somewhere else. @Yami

In Arabian mythology, Hubal (Arabic: هُبَل) was a god worshipped in pre-Islamic Arabia, notably by the Quraysh at the Kaaba in Mecca. The god's idol was a human figure believed to control acts of divination, which was performed by tossing arrows before the statue. The direction in which the arrows pointed answered questions asked of the idol. The specific powers and identity attributed to Hubal are equally unclear.

The name Hubal may be ultimately derivative of the name Baal from the Canaanite pantheon. In particular, the name could derive from the Aramaic hu bel, meaning "he is Baal". The relationship between Hubal and Baal is supported by some additional evidence, including that both were depicted with a missing or broken right hand.

1726274658440.png

1726274693398.png