Is Micro Nicheing content to a specific demographic Qabilist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This question is for all Somalis on the forum and how they feel about this script and typography.

Osmanya was actually called "FaarSomali", many people believe this was one of the biggest mistakes in Somali history by not adopting a distinct script. Many assume the controversy to NOT adopt it was because it came from another Qabil. We know Latin typography was easier to adopt for typing since the Italians invented the typewriter and pushed for a Latin script.

I have Beta tested this on a website and reached out to Microsofts script team to help embed a code to maximize the font styles in DATFONT and other font editing software.

My Concerns are: Does this Script make any of you Somalis feel uncomfortable? Especially the Non-MJ crowed.

I'm currently working on ceramic bowls with Osmanya etching. Would any of you Puntites purchase Osmanya printed canvas, ceramics and textiles?

Because of the controversy in this text do you think it's divisive to distribute? And why.

Modern Marketing is heading towards micro niching content to a specific audience. If someone markets a product or service to niche in the Somali market; does it look Qabilist?

Read the 1961 UN report.

Arabic script can't be used.

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/2620/1/Linguistic Report 1961.pdf > 1961 UN report

Read from page 67-68.

And http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/1517/1/Somalia. the writing of Somali_lavorato.pdf

By Andrzejewski, B.W.

Linguists recommended that both scripts to be mixed, Kaddare had Upper/lower case letters (cursive and capitals) while Osmanya had numerals/glottal stop. MSB simply nominated a script which his kin advocated, likewise with GALAL AUN (best SOMALI SCHOLAR). Though Galal was not book in the kacaan history books (don't be surprised, there was a lot of revisionism that occured during his era).

Kaddare was seen to be the best indigenous script.

somali_num.gif

kaddare.gif

Osmanya had separate characters for the double vowels too unlike Kaddare which you would have to write the same vowel twice (AA).

Just had extra tones part of the alphabet, maay alphabet letters (NY, NG, TH, JH, P AND GH) and the remaining Arabic letters غ ض ظ ز ث ذ ص (same as GH as maay) and you will have a great alphabet system.

Remaining arabic letters; ض ظ ص زذ ث

Tones should be represented;

They are three tones in Somali by the way.
When needed, the conventions for marking tone on written Somali are as follows:

acute accent - high tone
grave accent - low tone
circumflex - falling tone

Inan/inan - Dameer/Dameer for example (gender differences).

This question is for all Somalis on the forum and how they feel about this script and typography.

Osmanya was actually called "FaarSomali", many people believe this was one of the biggest mistakes in Somali history by not adopting a distinct script. Many assume the controversy to NOT adopt it was because it came from another Qabil. We know Latin typography was easier to adopt for typing since the Italians invented the typewriter and pushed for a Latin script.

I have Beta tested this on a website and reached out to Microsofts script team to help embed a code to maximize the font styles in DATFONT and other font editing software.

My Concerns are: Does this Script make any of you Somalis feel uncomfortable? Especially the Non-MJ crowed.

I'm currently working on ceramic bowls with Osmanya etching. Would any of you Puntites purchase Osmanya printed canvas, ceramics and textiles?

Because of the controversy in this text do you think it's divisive to distribute? And why.

Modern Marketing is heading towards micro niching content to a specific audience. If someone markets a product or service to niche in the Somali market; does it look Qabilist?

Me and my family would be interested. It's not every day you see osmanya script.

The fact that the only native african script that is being used IN AFRICA that is ancient is Neo Berber script, Ge'ez script and Coptic script:damn:

Compare that to Asia

WritingSystemsOfTheWorld.png
:francis:

Read the 1961 UN report.

Arabic script can't be used.

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/2620/1/Linguistic Report 1961.pdf > 1961 UN report

Read from page 67-68.

And http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/1517/1/Somalia. the writing of Somali_lavorato.pdf

By Andrzejewski, B.W.

Linguists recommended that both scripts to be mixed, Kaddare had Upper/lower case letters (cursive and capitals) while Osmanya had numerals/glottal stop. MSB simply nominated a script which his kin advocated, likewise with GALAL AUN (best SOMALI SCHOLAR). Though Galal was not book in the kacaan history books (don't be surprised, there was a lot of revisionism that occured during his era).

Kaddare was seen to be the best indigenous script.

somali_num.gif

kaddare.gif

Osmanya had separate characters for the double vowels too unlike Kaddare which you would have to write the same vowel twice (AA).

Just had extra tones part of the alphabet, maay alphabet letters (NY, NG, TH, JH, P AND GH) and the remaining Arabic letters غ ض ظ ز ث ذ ص (same as GH as maay) and you will have a great alphabet system.

Remaining arabic letters; ض ظ ص زذ ث

Tones should be represented;

They are three tones in Somali by the way.
When needed, the conventions for marking tone on written Somali are as follows:

acute accent - high tone
grave accent - low tone
circumflex - falling tone

Inan/inan - Dameer/Dameer for example (gender differences).

You were about two sentences way from detrailing the thread. Why are you introducing the Kaddre script and saying it's the best script? Who told you it's the best script if you can't read it. Now you know why this scripts died in Somalia.

Right now it's about introducing the script in a modern twist by attaching it to single motivational words in a format I'm testing. Having Andrzejewski, B.W. make suggestions to language he doesn't speak proves to you how Europeans scholars have countlessly influenced cultures they don't understand.

Using two AA would in FaarSomali has been done. The English language introduced other letters like "Y" and "V", I can't think of the others right now but they were added much later in the 15th century.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP

Yes, it's qabilist. The question is whether you're afraid of that label or not.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator
You should make products for all clans. Cut losses by cutting small tribes.

You were about two sentences way from detrailing the thread. Why are you introducing the Kaddre script and saying it's the best script? Who told you it's the best script if you can't read it. Now you know why this scripts died in Somalia.

Right now it's about introducing the script in a modern twist by attaching it to single motivational words in a format I'm testing. Having Andrzejewski, B.W. make suggestions to language he doesn't speak proves to you how Europeans scholars have countlessly influenced cultures they don't understand.

Using two AA would in FaarSomali has been done. The English language introduced other letters like "Y" and "V", I can't think of the others right now but they were added much later in the 15th century.

Please read the 1961 report;

THe committee held that the two best scripts was Latin and Kaddare (best indigenous somali script as seen from Page 72 - 76.

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/2620/1/Linguistic Report 1961.pdf

Latin script advantages; 15, disadvantages; 2
Kaddare script advantages; 10 disadvantages 7

Latin was later chosen for economical reasons and partly because of close kinship. Shire owed a lot to Galal and Hirsi. Something which the Kacaan regime failed to mention.

Page 35/36 - Osmanya script; Advantages 7, disadvantages 10

Page 66 - 70 shows why both Arabic and Osmanya cannot be used as for one it fails to cover all of the somali dialects.

Check out page 35, 66- 70 and 72- 76.

The writing system debate lasted more than a decade, many were for the kaddare, latin, arabic and Cismaan script. But the 1961 report showed which was the best at REPRESENTING all of the dialects... Latin and Kaddare. Latin was the easier choice due to the fact you can use any regular english typewriter/internet keyboard. Oromo script is also based on the Somali latin script, likewise with Canfaar.

Last edited:

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
Even with nationalism at it's best in Somalia it didn't run, there is way more clan division today so probably not a great idea

Yes, it's qabilist. The question is whether you're afraid of that label or not.

Please read the 1961 report;

THe committee held that the two best scripts was Latin and Kaddare (best indigenous somali script as seen from Page 72 - 76.

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/2620/1/Linguistic Report 1961.pdf

Latin script advantages; 15, disadvantages; 2
Kaddare script advantages; 10 disadvantages 7

Latin was later chosen for economical reasons and partly because of close kinship. Shire owed a lot to Galal and Hirsi. Something which the Kacaan regime failed to mention.

Page 35/36 - Osmanya script; Advantages 7, disadvantages 10

Page 66 - 70 shows why both Arabic and Osmanya cannot be used as for one it fails to cover all of the somali dialects.

Check out page 35, 66- 70 and 72- 76.

The writing system debate lasted more than a decade, many were for the kaddare, latin, arabic and Cismaan script. But the 1961 report showed which was the best at REPRESENTING all of the dialects... Latin and Kaddare. Latin was the easier choice due to the fact you can use any regular english typewriter/internet keyboard. Oromo script is also based on the Somali latin script, likewise with Canfaar.

Kaddare wasn't a complete language the numerals in Osmanya are more complete.

What you are failing to add is room for improvement. Joining two together doesn't make sense. The English was completed in the 16th century

The letters u and j, as distinct from v and i, were introduced in the 16th century, and w assumed the status of an independent letter, so that the English alphabet is now considered to consist of the following 26 letters:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Beker, Henry; Piper, Fred (1982). Cipher Systems: The Protection of Communications. Wiley-Interscience. p. 397. Table also available from

Osmanya is much closer to completion than Kaddare. But you keep mentioning Kaddare when I asked you about Osmanya.

Stay focused or leave the thread.

You should make products for all clans. Cut losses by cutting small tribes.

I think many people including yourself think we are all happy go lucky and in love. Just look how divided the thread became; a guy walked in with "Kaddare is better".

If an Osmanya brand is launched with all things Osmanya--Why should it offended people? Osmanya was introduced and called Faarsomali.

Would you personally purchase a beautifully designed Canvas piece or marble ceramic with FaarSomali on it?

Osman Yusuf Kenadiid was a somali. I will support all somali born crafts and cultural heritage.

So if a website was called "Osmanya" and artist was Somali; would you buy from the collection?

Where I'm going with this is that, in order to Microniche the content you need to understand who the audience is; if a pro Somali anything purchases it than he/she is included in the Audience.

But if the person is sensitive to anything from Mjs they aren't your market.

Huur

Huur = Horus
"In 1961 both the Latin and Osmanya scripts were adopted for use in Somalia, but in 1969 there was a coup, with one of its stated aims the resolution of the debate over the country’s writing system. Latin orthography was adopted finally in 1973. Gregersen said in 1977 that some 20,000 or more people use Osmanya in private correspondance and in bookkeeping and that several books and a fortnightly journal Horseed (‘Vanguard’) was published, all “cyclostyped” which I take to be equivalent to “cyclostyled” and to mean ‘mimeographed’.” ~ Michael Everson

Check out my blog (and references), I went deep into this topic, thanks for raising this point.

http://www.abdiwahab.com/blog/history/the-somali-script

It wasn't originally seen as a Qabilist.

Status
Not open for further replies.