Is "niiko" Part of Somali culture or is it Bantu culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Most of you all know what Niiko is so no need for explanation

But what do you guys think about it Is it a Somali thing?

I think Bantus started it and its a Bantu culture

What do you think?

Dire Dewa's son

Malik Obama 4 president.
Bantu. Somali culture is too upper class and modest for animalistic dancing. Definite Bantu culture. They do similar ass gyrations (twerk) in west African dance. Def not native to Somali culture.:obama:

RudeBoi

Feel my D in her abs call me Abdi
It is part of the walaweyn culture alxamdulilah reer woqooyi have preserved the true somali tongue and culture.

Mercury

VIP
Bantu. Somali culture is too upper class and modest for animalistic dancing. Definite Bantu culture. They do similar ass gyrations (twerk) in west African dance. Def not native to Somali culture.:obama:

:rejoice: Just as I thought

But its still weird to occasionally see it happen on weddings

Dire Dewa's son

Malik Obama 4 president.
:rejoice: Just as I thought

But its still weird to occasionally see it happen on weddings
Yeah it seems out of place. I don't hate the practice or dance but it's association with Somali culture should stop. Nothing against women who twerk but I just don't want Somali/Muslim sisters degraded. It's a pride thing.:dabcasar:

Dire Dewa's son

Malik Obama 4 president.
It is part of Somali culture.

Here is the niiko done in Hargeisa

Maybe it has roots in belly dancing and it was taken from Arabs..idk but either way it's not native and not representative of our wholesome, beautiful, and intelligent culture or the women of Somali background.:dabcasar:

Mercury

VIP
Yeah it seems out of place. I don't hate the practice or dance but it's association with Somali culture should stop. Nothing against women who twerk but I just don't want Somali/Muslim sisters degraded. It's a pride thing.:dabcasar:

I took My white coworker once to a Somali wedding and they started doing the niiko

And My cadaan friend told me why are they twerking in front of everyone with a hijab? seems unislamic

giphy.gif

Maybe it has roots in belly dancing and it was taken from Arabs..idk but either way it's not native and not representative of our wholesome, beautiful, and intelligent culture or the women of Somali background.:dabcasar:

I don't think it came from Arab belly dancing. Arabs have something similar to niiko as well, but this Somali niiko most definitely came from our other African neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts