J-M267 - 23andME

Y-chromosome haplogroup J, and its subgroups J1 and J2, are connected with origins in the Arabian Peninsula, Southern Europe and North Africa, and among many men of Ashkenazi Jewish, Arab Bedouin, Uygur and Uzbek origin.

@Xariir
You can upload your 23andme raw data into this https://cladefinder.yseq.net/
if you have a mainstream clade, it would likely work for you
What exactly am I looking at? I’ve been given these two subs which one is correct?
IMG_0088.png

@CulturedKay I searched the subclade I got on this forum and you have the same. Sexawle Karanle have Reer Garaad who claim to be descendants of Imam Ahmad Guray just like us Reer Garaad Marexaan. Here we are with the same haplogroup and same subclade approximation. Im not one to jump to conclusions but this is very interesting. 😂
IMG_3338.jpeg

@CulturedKay I searched the subclade I got on this forum and you have the same. Sexawle Karanle have Reer Garaad who claim to be descendants of Imam Ahmad Guray just like us Reer Garaad Marexaan. Here we are with the same haplogroup and same subclade approximation. Im not one to jump to conclusions but this is very interesting. 😂 View attachment 339988

She is positive for a different branch than yours. She is J-P56 which split from your branch 14,000 years ago.

Post in thread 'I got my 23andme DNA results 🤨'
https://www.somalispot.com/threads/i-got-my-23andme-dna-results-🤨.142555/post-4031341

It gave me J-Y95610 as you can see below. How accurate is this? I put it on the map and it put it in somewhere in modern day, Kuwait. View attachment 339975View attachment 339976
I suggest you do big Y because this cladefinder is not always accurate. Or you could opt for the J1 Yseq panel which is cheaper. It’s what @CulturedKay did to find her exact branch. I would go for big Y instead because it will place you on the tree and you could find out exactly when your ancestors migrated to the horn.

Did she get her brother to do the the Full Y? I seen her post this when I searched it.
Nah her brother didn’t do big Y. She opted for Yseq J1 panel. It will just say which branch you are positive for, nothing more nothing less. It’s a bit inferior than big Y but still highly accurate. This is all the information they gave her.

Post in thread 'I got my 23andme DNA results 🤨'
https://www.somalispot.com/threads/i-got-my-23andme-dna-results-🤨.142555/post-4031341

I suggest you do big Y because this cladefinder is not always accurate. Or you could opt for the J1 Yseq panel which is cheaper. It’s what @CulturedKay did to find her exact branch. I would go for big Y instead because it will place you on the tree and you could find out exactly when your ancestors migrated to the horn.
Fair, currently outside of the west. I should hold my horses, and not jump to conclusions or insuiate things before getting an extra test done.The FullY is going to be the next one I do in shaa Allah

Inshaa Allah soon, buts really interesting how she’s the only J Ive seen on this forum and we both claim the Imam. If we do match, it’ll be crazy.
There are a lot of Somali J’s. Many madhibaan and Tumaal have J1. This branch has loads of Somalis flags.

Harti from Nugaal

More J1’s from Banaadir

I could find even more Somali J1’s if I scroll through. It would be nice seeing your version of J1. I get the feeling it arrived with Arab merchants, Islamic teachers etc

I will be personally testing the Karanle reer Garaad branch the imam descends from. His father’s (Ibrahim Al Ghazi) descendants are very famous in and around harerge. They had so much influence in shaping the Horn that even as late as the 19th century Paulitschke’s described Reer Ibrahim formed the most important Fakids, Tariqa or sect in Harar, referring to the Salahiya of whom Sayyid Mohamed Khalifa, Sheikh Hassan Barsane and Sayid Abdulle Hassan and many more were part off.

1724411747836.png

Mekuria mentions them in his extensive 20th century monograph on gragn

1724411807026.png

I know a guy who met the descandants of Garaad Abun Cadeshe in Funyan Bira. He also meet quite few Reer Naaji Ahmed in Harar and all of their territory is inside proper ethiopia meaning not in Somali region. Majority of them live in Harar. They are literally the direct descendants of the Imam.

Last edited:
There are a lot of Somali J’s. Many madhibaan and Tumaal have J1. This branch has loads of Somalis flags.

Harti from Nugaal

More J1’s from Banaadir

I could find even more Somali J1’s if I scroll through. It would be nice seeing your version of J1. I get the feeling it arrived with Arab merchants, Islamic teachers etc

I will be personally testing the Karanle reer Garaad branch the imam descends from. His father’s (Ibrahim Al Ghazi) descendants are very famous in and around harerge. They had so much influence in shaping the Horn that even as late as the 19th century Paulitschke’s described Reer Ibrahim formed the most important Fakids, Tariqa or sect in Harar, referring to the Salahiya of whom Sayyid Mohamed Khalifa, Sheikh Hassan Barsane and Sayid Abdulle Hassan and many more were part off.

View attachment 339999

Mekuria mentions them in his extensive 20th century monograph on gragn

View attachment 340000

I know a guy who met the descandants of Garaad Abun Cadeshe in Funyan Bira. He also meet quite few Reer Naaji Ahmed in Harar and all of their territory is inside proper ethiopia meaning not in Somali region. Majority of them live in Harar. They are literally the direct descendants of the Imam.
I just realized who Im talking to. You’re really invested in this eh 😂