JANUARY 20 2017: The day I quit drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alhamdullilah its never too late to go on the right path. its good that you've always hung on to your faith despite everything. i don't know how hard it would be to quit alcohol but as you said you are on a 'path to heaven' which means that you are doing it to be a better Muslim. i think that would make it much easier since you have some sort of deterrent/incentive.

anyways, good luck. Insha Allah you'll breeze through it.
Yeah exactly, just see it for what it is and remind yourself why you don't want to anymore. And if you're hanging with somali ppl you'll find someone that also doesn't drink. You won't feel so left out or weird

Thanks for the kind words guys. Inshallah it all works out for the best.

VixR

Veritas
My friends do not actually require me to drink, however the temptation is there when I am around it. If you attempt to hang out with drunk people while you're sober, you'll really start to resent them, because they're a sight for sore eyes. And maybe that's what I need. That wake up call.
Don't hang out with drinkers. I know that sounds harsh, but that's what you'll have to do to kick it, or else you'll relapse sure as the sky is blue. That goes for any habit anyone wants to quit; you have to locate the facilitators of the habit within your life, and deal with that first. Also, take it gradually. Abrupt techniques don't work for most ppl. Don't be hard on yourself.

Don't hang out with drinkers. I know that sounds harsh, but that's what you'll have to do to kick it, or else you'll relapse sure as the sky is blue. That goes for any habit anyone wants to quit; you have to locate the facilitators of the habit within your life, and deal with that first. Also, take it gradually. Abrupt techniques don't work for most ppl. Don't be hard on yourself.

I agree. I have made a promise to myself to focus solely on my family and work. I have a sister that I confided in and she said to hang with her whenever I feel bored or lonely at home.

I agree with the others, you have to either cut off your friends that you used to drink with or tell them that you won't be going with them when they go to the bar/club/parties whatever. If you don't place yourself in situations where you can drink it'll be easier to avoid it. Good luck and may Allah make it easier for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.