Light skinned Somalis

Am i the only one with mostly lightskin family? Both of my grandparents from both sides are lightskin and both of my parents are lightskin so literally all my first cousins and sibling are lightskin. When i was younger i use to think all somalis were lightskin until i got introduced to more somalis and found out most are darkskin :yloezpe:

Wonyluvr

Entitled uppity East African
VIP
Am i the only one with mostly lightskin family? Both of my grandparents from both sides are lightskin and both of my parents are lightskin so literally all my first cousins and sibling are lightskin. When i was younger i use to think all somalis were lightskin until i got itroduced to more somalis and found out most are darkskin :yloezpe:
Your name reminds of of something else :kanyehmm:

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
people think being Light skin somali is good but to me and my brother who are lighter than average it is a curse :damn: We cant even enjoy being out much in summer cause we get mild sunburns and always have to use sunscreen like some cadaan people :meleshame: I hope this cursed lightskin gene is bred out I wish I could trade it for something darker 😭

She is Majeerteen, she said so herself. If she had Arab ancestry or whatever then she would have said so herself in her AMA

Jawahir is full MJ, and her look is not shocking to me, I've seen relatives that look similar.

For those who find her non-Somali looking.

You guys don't see the women's side of Somali weddings enough it seems. Somali women without hijab look like they belong to some mixed island or Brazil somewhere.

I would argue that our women look more diverse than our men somehow, that's from what I've seen. I've seen some girls that even confuse me, to be honest.

So you think she has non-Somali ancestry?

Nope. She just has two light skinned parents with button noses and small eyes. Her look is what happens when light skinned genes are dominant in a family, and a couple looks similar. The opposite happens all the time, with long nosed, dark skinned, timo jilicsan couples marrying each other.

Not all ethnic Somalis look like the images below.

We're an ethnic group, not a clone factory.

1725796949881.png

1725796954328.png

Bari

Garabsare
Jawahir looks Somali, when two lightskin soft haired somalis marry most if not all kids will look like their parents.

Khanderson

Coping through the 1st world
VIP
It really doesn’t matter. Somalis can come in all shades but the majority of Somalis are dark skin. Which makes the light skin invisible or harder to be seen from a mainstream view. We’re all the same just different shades of gray.

Khanderson

VIP
Isaaqs and Darood (especially people from Somaliland and Puntland decent) are the only light skin ethnic Somalis where they’re mostly visible. Still a minority but they exist more than the southern Somalis. But this doesn’t change the fact we’re a minority compare to the dark skin Somalis. But we exist.

Wonyluvr

Entitled uppity East African
VIP
Isaaqs and Darood (especially people from Somaliland and Puntland decent) are the only light skin ethnic Somalis where they’re mostly visible. Still a minority but they exist more than the southern Somalis. But this doesn’t change we’re a minority compare to the dark Somalis.
It has to do with where climate of where people live

Khanderson

VIP
It has to do with where climate of where people live

Agreed. This why I’ve said this discussion is not really important. It doesn’t bring anything to the table. I can understand why some dark skin Somalis undermine the light skin ethnic Somalis thinking that they’re mixed or outside of the DNA. But this is when people forget this is contributed by our Afro-Asiatic genes (our MENA or Northern Africans genes).

I’m light skin but my skin changes due to the climate at times.

Isaaqs and Darood (especially people from Somaliland and Puntland decent) are the only light skin ethnic Somalis where they’re mostly visible. Still a minority but they exist more than the southern Somalis. But this doesn’t change the fact we’re a minority compare to the dark skin Somalis. But we exist.

The lightest-skinned Somalis are often from the Banaadir region, where you'll find more people with lighter complexions, likely due to some degree of intermarriage with lighter-skinned populations in the area. I haven't noticed a true north-south divide in terms of skin tone; it seems more like tribalism blending with colorism.

Khanderson

VIP
@World

Somali features are complicated. Not every ethnic Somalis looks the same. Some Somalis can pass as any ethnic groups in the world. But at the same times maintain the Somalis features. The reason why you consider her an outlier is because she doesn’t fit in with the sub-Saharan appearances. She looks mixed because she’s light. You’ve subscribed to the sub-Saharan ideal. If Somalis had the same world wide market value as the white people. You wouldn’t question her Somali identity.

Khanderson

VIP
The lightest-skinned Somalis are often from the Banaadir region, where you'll find more people with lighter complexions, likely due to some degree of intermarriage with lighter-skinned populations in the area. I haven't noticed a true north-south divide in terms of skin tone; it seems more like tribalism blending with colorism.

That’s an interesting theory. I realised Somalis that are dark skin run to the light skin ones while the light skin Somalis run to the dark skin ones or any colour without limiting to any skin tone. I think colour preferences is ridiculous which makes people want to bleach themselves. colour preferences is fine just not the self hate types.

Trending