Light skinned Somalis

Som

VIP
On average we are on par with other Africans and maybe darker than most habeshas but climate has a huge impact on this. Somalis in the west show light skinned types way more often than back home because of the climate.

On average we are on par with other Africans and maybe darker than most habeshas but climate has a huge impact on this. Somalis in the west show light skinned types way more often than back home because of the climate.

We are not on par with other Africans when it comes to skintone, are you kidding? Not just in the diaspora, have you gone to Somalia? I've been to Kenya, and I've been to Somalia, Somalis have way more maariin people, than Kenya for example. I'm not talking about the mixed Swahilis.

Jawahir, Axmed Karaash, Diyaano, etc, all just as Somali as Iman, Mo Farah or whoever. I don't like this discourse that makes it seem that only maariin/darkskinned/high forehead Somalis are unquestionably Somali. The very fact that we have to go back and forth, and prove and explain Somalinimo for some Somalis, is very uncomfortable.

I am really convinced that some of you are very young, I am talking about teens, or have not seen any Somalis beyond your family and a handful of people.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
If you go to a Somali event in Minnesota or somewhere in Europe, you will notice the large variation in skin tones among Somalis who are family members or from the same region.

However, the average Somali person in North America or Europe will be lighter than the average Somali in Somalia. This is likely due to the fact that UV exposure plays a huge role in shaping skin color.

Somali skin color has not stabilized as there is a tug of war between sexual selection for lighter skin and adaptive selection for darker skin to handle high UV radiation. This is my guess.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Just go to any Somali region in Somalia. In one visit I saw Somalis from the same clan branch having of the darkest and lightest Somalis. One was dark as this Afar guy and the other as this Somali politician

1725865916115.png

1725865933593.png

Trending