Origins of Garaad

you said : Gar (Justice/Wisdom) + Aad (Move towards) = Garaad = One who moves towards or seeks Justice .

I don't agree with your linguistic analysis .

This Somali agentive suffix (-aad) does not mean " to move or to go" .

This Somali agentive suffix (-aad) is a suffix convert verbs into nouns, effectively representing the actor performing a particular action.

The Somali agentive suffix (-aad ) added to the verb to form an agent noun ( اسم الفاعل ) . or ,
The Somali agentive suffix (-aad ) added to nouns to form an agent noun ( اسم الفاعل ).
The Somali agentive suffix (-aad ) : A person or thing that does an action indicated by the root verb; used to form an agent noun. denoting occupations .

what is the etymological explanation for the Somali word ( wadaad )?

wad f.g/mg1 (-day, -dday) 1. (f.g) Xoolo, dad iwm meel ay joogeen ka kaxeyn.
wadaad m.l (-ddo, m.l) Nin diinta islaamka wax ka bartay kuna camalfala oo dhowrsan.
wade m.l (-dayaal, m.l/dh) 1. Qof baabuurta wadi yaqaan.
wadaadnimo m.dh Wadaad ahaansho.

wad ( verb) : to continue , to carry on, to move , drive, to lead, to guide .
wade ( noun ) : driver .
wadid ( -da ) ( noun ) : driving .
wadaad ( -ka ) ( noun ) : man of religion, Muslim religious consultant .
wadne ( -ha ) ( noun ) : heart .
wadaadnimo ( -da ) ( noun ) : state of being a wadaad .

So wadaad is an agent noun ( اسم الفاعل ) which means he who leads ( from the somali verb "
wad " + the Somali agentive suffix (-aad) .

from Wikipedia :

from Wikipedia :
In the somali language one word can mean many many things

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
Another example of a compoud word in Somali being born from Gar is the nickname of my clan founder Ismail bin Isaaq, Garxajis. He got this nickname from being an islamic jurist in sanaag according to folklore.

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
Hi guys, I need your expertise again. Are titles like Garaad and Aw of Somali origin or were they loan words adopted from Ethiosemitic languages like Harari? Wikipedia believes the latter position.
Somali is older than Harari??

Aw is Somali through and through.

the only Somali title that may be of Habashi origin is Ugaas maybe

Somali is older than Harari??

Aw is Somali through and through.

the only Somali title that may be of Habashi origin is Ugaas maybe

Anyone who knows the ABCs of the Somali language knows that the word (ugaas) is an authentic Somali word and not a loanword from the Habesha languages .
I will prove it in a new post .

Trending

Latest posts