Parliament Passes The Bill To Finish The Constitution.

I'll be honest, I am not well versed on this particular topic.
Maybe you can catch me up to speed?

These are the main changes intended to be part of the finalized constitution.
abolishing 4.5, Presidential system, abolishing the PM positions and 1m1v national elections, 5 year term and 2 parties to complete for national elections

What exactly is so bad with it?

The 'mucaarad' have mainly voiced their objection towards the two-party system and/or the transition from presidential/pm to president/vp system. From PL, I think it also includes the added FGS powers (centralization) that wasn't previously agreed upon.

As far as what you think is bad, is subjective. But it seems like the restriction of parties is what people are mostly opposed to.

Pastoralist

Dhib marku wah nokdo, Isku tiirsada
VIP
first of all I don't want non Somalis running for office, I just don't trust them. Would you trust an oromo Somali national to not bend the knee for abiye when it comes to getting a sea(if we had one as president today).

Secondly, Somalis civilians don't even vote today, you and I wouldn't vote. We won't vote for a while, and no matter what the mode of elections are, won't people always vote along clan lines? or at least vote against other clans they dislike?
With this constitution done correctly, me and you would be able to vote. But it wasn’t. Just rushed through with everyone opposing it. There’s something behind this if they’re willing to have the country against them to have it passed.

Credible institutions such as NISA and SNA would expose any treason by being independent of the government. The reason we haven’t seen this done yet is Somalis would rather choose to bask in corruption than to be tried for it. So an Oromo, even if he conspired against the nation, would be found out by NISA and immediately impeached. Knowing this, I doubt they’d follow through with it

but sure you want to play safe. So maybe no Oromo. Eritrean though should definitely be allowed.

The 'mucaarad' have mainly voiced their objection towards the two-party system and/or the transition from presidential/pm to president/vp system. From PL, I think it also includes the added FGS powers (centralization) that wasn't previously agreed upon.

As far as what you think is bad, is subjective. But it seems like the restriction of parties is what people are mostly opposed to.
I am not surprised with the Opps voicing concern. It does weed out a lot of useless candidates but at the same time that one good candidate may not get the chance. Double edge sword.
as for your centralization point, that one is difficult. I understand the need for autonamous regions like Pland to wanna maintain more freedom because the next guy in the xamar seat could go crazy if he has all the powers, and we have seen this before, but at the same time Somalia can never be strong if it has regions like Pland and others trying to act like they are a country. How do we come up with something that makes the country strong but at the same time throws a bone for these regions so they can accept to come under the federal government?

Keep it a boqol

All Praise Be To Allah In Every Situation!!!
VIP

Now with the 2 party restrictions, i’m not for this as i believe candidates should work towards the vote. However a lot of somalis back home don’t have access to quality education and are driven by qabil. By giving people a lot of choices for candidates will be a paradox of choice. So maybe having a two party system as of now would be wiser for a young democratic nation recovering from state turmoil.

Using a survey experiment, we show that subjects presented with many options learn less about candidates, are more likely to vote based on meaningless heuristics, and are more likely to commit voting errors, when compared with subjects who choose between only a few candidates.”

With this constitution done correctly, me and you would be able to vote. But it wasn’t. Just rushed through with everyone opposing it. There’s something behind this if they’re willing to have the country against them to have it passed.

Credible institutions such as NISA and SNA would expose any treason by being independent of the government. The reason we haven’t seen this done yet is Somalis would rather choose to bask in corruption than to be tried for it. So an Oromo, even if he conspired against the nation, would be found out by NISA and immediately impeached. Knowing this, I doubt they’d follow through with it

but sure you want to play safe. So maybe no Oromo. Eritrean though should definitely be allowed.
I don't think it matters what kind of system we adopt. During farmaajo's tenure, all the security aparatus was in his hands. I remember seeing SNA soldiers threatening to decapitate oppositional leaders. AAS got attacked in his own house by security forces. HSM hijacked the parliament today and forced through his agenda.

Basically, my point is a sitting Somali president, under any system can hijack all the institutions.

so does it matter marka?

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
Now with the 2 party restrictions, i’m not for this as i believe candidates should work towards the vote. However a lot of somalis back home don’t have access to quality education and are driven by qabil. By giving people a lot of choices for candidates will be a paradox of choice. So maybe having a two party system as of now would be wiser for a young democratic nation recovering from state turmoil.

Using a survey experiment, we show that subjects presented with many options learn less about candidates, are more likely to vote based on meaningless heuristics, and are more likely to commit voting errors, when compared with subjects who choose between only a few candidates.”

good point brother

i too think we have to be open to the idea of always improving, find the fault and work hard to correct it. if two parties dont work, make several and then find ways to have all parties be inclusive :)

Pastoralist

Dhib marku wah nokdo, Isku tiirsada
VIP
I don't think it matters what kind of system we adopt. During farmaajo's tenure, all the security aparatus was in his hands. I remember seeing SNA soldiers threatening to decapitate oppositional leaders. AAS got attacked in his own house by security forces. HSM hijacked the parliament today and forced through his agenda.

Basically, my point is a sitting Somali president, under any system can hijack all the institutions.

so does it matter marka?
Despite the wrongdoings of farmaajo harassing the opposition and HSM forcing bills through, during both of these, what we want wasn’t fully implemented. Which is a unified SNA which is above politics. Similar to the US, a president can give military orders to his MOD, but he can’t commit treason. Our SNA is under the politics, their generals are gifted off qabil rather than merits. We haven’t reached that level of institution yet.

johnsepei5

Head of Somalia freemasonry branch
VIP
I’m all for centralizing
We can’t let something that happend in the past restrain our country’s growth.
Trust and reconciliation is the cement and brick to paving a Better Somalia

World

VIP
It's very interesting that HSM is trying to push this very partisan, unpopular, illegal and dangerous constitutional change at a time in which we are facing an existential outside threat.

You'd think a President would see Ethiopia annexing our land, the fight against Al Shabab, and not want to divide Somalia further by forcing constitutional amendments with widespread opposition and lack of support, but he doesn't give a f*ck.

Trending

Latest posts