Punt...new YouTube video

@Idilinaa I think I found a direct textual from ancient Egyptian sources that mention Ethiopia being Punt.
View attachment 339628
Thats nothing really new, that's been a theory. It don't really fit with other descriptions of Punt by the Egyptians, since how would Egyptians carry Frankinscense trees and unload them onto ships directly from an deep remote highland mountain area?

''Her temple relief show that each of the 31 heave incense trees required 4-6 men to transport them to the carge ships, or 124 to 186 Egyptian and Puntite carriers in total. Since there were around 150 crewmen on the expedition five vessels (30 ship), this would mean that ''the frankincense terraces of punt'' had to have been situated near the seashore''

MsouXQT.png

Because what they refrence punt in the temple relief is that of a coastal seashore next to a river with an adjacent Mountain where there is ''Terraces of frankincense'' grows which other say this is a description that corresponds with the Northern Somali literol. . In particular, the northeastern section extending from Bandar Qasim to Alula.

9J1hQGE.png

mz2BAg3.png

8LkgtRx.png

Last edited:
Thats nothing really new, that's been a theory. It don't really fit with other descriptions of Punt by the Egyptians, since how would Egyptians carry Frankinscense trees and unload them onto ships directly from an deep remote highland mountain area?

''Her temple relief show that each of the 31 heave incense trees required 4-6 men to transport them to the carge ships, or 124 to 186 Egyptian and Puntite carriers in total. Since there were around 150 crewmen on the expedition five vessels (30 ship), this would mean that ''the frankincense terraces of punt'' had to have been situated near the seashore''

MsouXQT.png

Because what they refrence punt in the temple relief is that of a coastal seashore next to a river with an adjacent Mountain where there is ''Terraces of frankincense'' grows which other say this is a description that corresponds with the Northern Somali literol. . In particular, the northeastern section extending from Bandar Qasim to Alula.

9J1hQGE.png

mz2BAg3.png

8LkgtRx.png
I see. Yeah perhaps the description doesn't fit, including this one. There was also evidence of wood in Egypt being sourced from Ethiopia too

20240820_070319.jpg

20240820_070340.jpg

I also find it interesting that "Habesha" was possibly mentiones by the Egyptians. Similar to how "Barbar" was mentioned in their records too. Perhaps that is the origin of those names?

20240820_070343.jpg

I see. Yeah perhaps the description doesn't fit, including this one. There was also evidence of wood in Egypt being sourced from Ethiopia too

View attachment 339631

View attachment 339632

I also find it interesting that "Habesha" was possibly mentiones by the Egyptians. Similar to how "Barbar" was mentioned in their records too. Perhaps that is the origin of those names?

View attachment 339633

I prefer direct descriptions and relief paintings of expeditions.

What you shown is unlike the Frankincense trees they directly acquired from punt and unloaded onto their ships, that's why the frankincense holds the more of a significance as a product. Other products like ''precious wood'' could have been sourced from elsewhere via punt.

''documenting the exchange of food and drink for myrrh, ebony, gold, precious woods, slaves and ivory, but some of these items came via punt not from it''

ZufKFzj.png

I've seen that theory before. The bearded ones lool. It could be and that name makes sense you see Puntites depicted with long beards in the Egyptian reliefs.

Last edited:
@Idilinaa One more thing: what do you think about the Gash Culture/Jebel Mokram = Punt theory? It surprisingly fits

They had large argicultural settlements, hierarchy and evidence of long distance trade like imported goods, storehouses, stamp seals and cowries (evidence of coastal trade), while at the same time Ethiopia and Somalia were still purely pastoral societies. The also lived in a floodplain which matches Egyptian depictions of a riverine society with stilt-houses.

The society, local resources, landscape, fauna and chronology all line up with the descriptions of Punt given in Egyptian texts and murals. Not to mention the dates match up. Expeditions to Punt end around 1000 BC, which is same time the Jebel Mokram culture disappears.

@Idilinaa One more thing: what do you think about the Gash Culture/Jebel Mokram = Punt theory? It surprisingly fits

They had large argicultural settlements, hierarchy and evidence of long distance trade like imported goods, storehouses, stamp seals and cowries (evidence of coastal trade), while at the same time Ethiopia and Somalia were still purely pastoral societies. The also lived in a floodplain which matches Egyptian depictions of a riverine society with stilt-houses.

The society, local resources, landscape, fauna and chronology all line up with the descriptions of Punt given in Egyptian texts and murals. Not to mention the dates match up. Expeditions to Punt end around 1000 BC, which is same time the Jebel Mokram culture disappears.

The gash group does not fit at all. I explained this before: Like you said it was hierarchical but punt that Egyptians described was not.
Based on the Ancient Egyptian descriptions Punt was more like a localized emporium, than all-emcompassing one hugging different regions and decentralized headed by werew (chieftain). This is different than the hierarchical/centralized nature of the Gash group.

It's rooted in a casual assumption by writers that punt was a centralized kingdom , when it reality it was depicted more as a trading emporium.

The other rationale is that its closer to Egypt, which really would not had mattered to the Egyptians who would go far distances to get products that they regarded as highly valuable and you can also see this contact carried on when Greco-Romans got control of Egypt.

The houses on stilts is also commonly associated with people living near coastal seashores not just riverines so that doesn't exclude anything, plus from an botanical/archeological standpoint during this period shows that the northern Somalia was much more fertile with perennial rivers with different types of animals living there suited to a wetter climate.

As for the descriptions of landscapes , fauna and flora it narrows it somewhere in the Horn of Africa.

Last edited:
And Somalia is the only place that they have direct textual evidence that collaborate with Egyptian inscriptions
Quick question, couldn't Pliny's record of Sesotris going to Mosylon be an innovation of his? The actual primary source of Sesotris going to Punt doesn't mention any place in Somalia
Screenshot_2023-11-16-23-39-19-108-edit_com.png

Quick question, couldn't Pliny's record of Sesotris going to Mosylon be an innovation of his? The actual primary source of Sesotris going to Punt doesn't mention any place in Somalia
View attachment 339997

How would it be an innovation? Sesostris went to punt as the stalae says, and Pliny never says he went to Punt but specifies that he led an expedition to Mosylon promontory which is in Hafun.

But yeah it's not a conclusive slam dunk but an evidence nonetheless.

How would it be an innovation? Sesostris went to punt as the stalae says, and Pliny never says he went to Punt but specifies that he led an expedition to Mosylon promontory which is in Hafun.

But yeah it's not a conclusive slam dunk but an evidence nonetheless.
Just playing devil's advocate to strengthen the argument lol

Anyways Idilina I want to go back to the baboon study since I noticed something else interesting. According to the 2020 Dominy study, he claims most scholars favor a Sudan-Ethiopia-Eritrea location over Somalia. What do you make of this?

20240823_045156.jpg

Just playing devil's advocate to strengthen the argument lol

Anyways Idilina I want to go back to the baboon study since I noticed something else interesting. According to the 2020 Dominy study, he claims most scholars favor a Sudan-Ethiopia-Eritrea location over Somalia. What do you make of this?

View attachment 340003

Actually when the scientist tested the Baboon specimens they matched it to Eritrea and Somalia: Where the baboon species stretches into and this was back in 2021 and they said at the time that Eritrea & Somalia was the two leading contenders.
The scientists said they cannot differentiate the baboon specimens from Eritrea and Somalia from each-other.

They interviewed them not too long ago:
Locating the ancient lost city of Punt with mummified baboons Scientists are able to narrow down the location of Punt by analysing ancient baboon remains
And so then we can match the mummified specimens that are present at the British Museum to populations in those areas. And the great thing about our analysis is we could definitively rule out some places, and we showed a very strong match to animals living in Eritrea and Somalia today.

We can rule those places out. And we can say definitively that it was somewhere in Africa, on the horn of Africa, probably in Eritrea and Somalia. We can't distinguish between those two places, which are the two contending places that most scholars agree on.

It's only recently the whole gash group hypothesis came to be:
The gash group does not fit at all. I explained this before: Like you said it was hierarchical but punt that Egyptians described was not.

It's rooted in a casual assumption by writers that punt was a centralized kingdom , when it reality it was depicted more as a trading emporium.

The other rationale is that its closer to Egypt, which really would not had mattered to the Egyptians who would go far distances to get products that they regarded as highly valuable and you can also see this contact carried on when Greco-Romans got control of Egypt.

Last edited:
For Punt? Because the study itself states that most scholars think Punt wasn't in Somalia. But perhaps that has no bearing on what Dominy himself thinks

They interviewed the scientist directly in 2021 click the link i shared. The other stuff is peoples opinions really.

According to this more recent one, they don't mention Somalia

View attachment 340005

''are forced to speculate a bit''

Thats says it all, its mostly a speculation. It's exactly like what i said on my first post on this thread:
Last few minutes in the video , he makes it very clear that it's mostly speculative.

The baboon specimen is far from a slam dunk, because P.Hamadryas is what they found and as you can see it encompasses a much wider area than Sudan & Eritrea.

default.jpg

And Somalia is the only place that they have direct textual evidence that collaborate with Egyptian inscriptions. This needs to be brought to peoples attention.

WHI6okw.png

The significance of punt:

Another possibility is that Punt could encompass a wider region and they could be at times talking about different regions in the south of them and labelling them under the umbrella of Punt.

Trending