Religion of Somalis before islam

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
One of the best videos I've seen on the topic. Kept it short and clean, made interesting comparison to Oromos, and didn't insert weird Ancient Egyptian fanfic or Arabization nonsense. 10/10

Names of places are a big clue: Cabudwaaq. Meaning to worship Waaq. We worshiped Waaq but we were still polytheistic which is probably why it was so easy for us to become Muslim very early.
Names like Cabudwaaq came after Islam since the word Cabud has origins in the Arabic word Ibadah.

The fascinating thing about this is that Somalis still used the word Waaq to refer to Allah even after we converted.

Last edited:

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
It’s fascinating. We hardly know anything but the Somalis before Islam or even during the early periods when they were embracing it. We have no idea of their culture then, or traditions. We have small snippets via our recent ancestors who practiced certain things that we obviously know is haram now but is throwback to our ancient customs.
Yibir lore reveals a bit of it. They were the priest class of the Waaq religion our ancestors followed.

There's another group within Rendile with a very similar name to Yibir that also had the same occupation.

No its because some day the word somali is derived from the patriarch Samaale and samaale was a muslim man.
But there are plenty of arguments that he doesn't even exist and is mostly fictional, the largest theory is that our name comes from the term "soo maal" which means to milk. Derving from our nomadic culture with camels

Yibir lore reveals a bit of it. They were the priest class of the Waaq religion our ancestors followed.

There's another group within Rendile with a very similar name to Yibir that also had the same occupation.
My theory? The Yibir were probably reviled because they refused to convert to Islam at the same time as the others? Maybe due to their high status Pre-Islam it was hard to let go which caused a war? You have the your story of Bucar Al bacuar the tyrant Yibir king. Maybe they were the ones in charge and after Islam the dynamic changed?

We have actually kept some pre islamic practices. Places like aw Barkhadle shrine are also preislamkc relegious sites. Even stuff like zar rituals has its roots in preislamic cushtic practices. There are also those sacred treess for fertility that some women still use when they're having fertility problems. i also suspect that are clan ancestors like darod or dir or hawiye have preislamic orgins and were probaly islamcized and their shrines used to have somethings to do with our preislamkc religious practices

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
Is there any direct evidence that our ethnic group's formation as "Somalis" (no matter how vague and socially constructed ethnogenisis is) was due to Islam?

Or is this something you guys do to rationalise excommunication irreligious Somalis? Asking in complete good faith
No and anyone to claims otherwise is spreading misinformation. Oral lineage stories of clan formations of Isaaq, Darood, Samaroon, and Ciise make it very clear there was a Pre Islamic ethnic Somali population.

Clans from the pre Islamic era are still around to this day like for instance, the Magaadle Dir in Sanaag, the reer abti of Habar Magaadle Isaaq.

Another example is Sheikh Abdirahman, the ancestor of all Darood, married into Dir. I'm not sure of the specific subclan but that's enough proof that at the very least one of the major Somali clans has Pre Islamic origins considering we have 2 examples of this happening with them.

Yeah we don’t know much about what was going on before Islam i don’t know why either I think a lot of that has to do with our early history not being very well documented
The thing is, we don't even care that much.

You'de think that a group of people would be dying to uncover their past, but Somalis seem to view the history of our pre-Islamic ancestors as something foreign and disconnected from our identity.

This and the fact that our entire ethnic group converted to the deen shows how valueless our people's past religion was compared to Islam.

Or maybe they saw it as superior form of their previous deen, containing all the good without all the negative baggage like falsehood and superstitions.

Allah knows best

Yami

Trudeau Must Go #CCP2025
VIP
My theory? The Yibir were probably reviled because they refused to convert to Islam at the same time as the others? Maybe due to their high status Pre-Islam it was hard to let go which caused a war? You have the your story of Bucar Al bacuar the tyrant Yibir king. Maybe they were the ones in charge and after Islam the dynamic changed?
I can see that being the case. I'll talk to my Yibir friend about your theory & let you know what he thinks of it.

No and anyone to claims otherwise is spreading misinformation. Oral lineage stories of clan formations of Isaaq, Darood, Samaroon, and Ciise make it very clear there was a Pre Islamic ethnic Somali population.

Clans from the pre Islamic era are still around to this day like for instance, the Magaadle Dir in Sanaag, the reer abti of Habar Magaadle Isaaq.

Another example is Sheikh Abdirahman, the ancestor of all Darood, married into Dir. I'm not sure of the specific subclan but that's enough proof that at the very least one of the major Somali clans has Pre Islamic origins considering we have 2 examples of this happening with them.
This is my belief as well, but I didn't have any direct sources on hand

The thing is, we don't even care that much.

You'de think that a group of people would be dying to uncover their past, but Somalis seem to view the history of our pre-Islamic ancestors as something foreign and disconnected from our identity.

This and the fact that our entire ethnic group converted to the deen shows how valueless our people's past religion was compared to Islam.

Or maybe they saw it as superior form of their previous deen, containing all the good without all the negative baggage like falsehood and superstitions.

Allah knows best
Somalis back home and older gen Somalis simply have no interest in history the way we do. Try have a conversation with my mum about history even our one family history and she’s looking at me like why an earth are you interested in that?!

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
We have actually kept some pre islamic practices. Places like aw Barkhadle shrine are also preislamkc relegious sites. Even stuff like zar rituals has its roots in preislamic cushtic practices. There are also those sacred treess for fertility that some women still use when they're having fertility problems. i also suspect that are clan ancestors like darod or dir or hawiye have preislamic orgins and were probaly islamcized and their shrines used to have somethings to do with our preislamkc religious practices
what Zar rituals?

Trending