Religion of Somalis before islam

Duke

The only true Yankee here
Somalis came after Islam.
Michael Jordan Lol GIF

It's basically like jin possession/removal

This is creepy. I have never seen it. I checked on youtube and its a bunch of women convulsing and dancing like they are possessed from Morocco all the way to Iran.

It seems to be pretty much extinct, alhamdulilah.

Apparently even bellydancing originates from this creepy ritual. It seems it was a widespread ancient pagan practice. Audubillah.

Last edited:
Yibir lore reveals a bit of it. They were the priest class of the Waaq religion our ancestors followed.

There's another group within Rendile with a very similar name to Yibir that also had the same occupation.

You mean the same Yibir who are getting Semitic results and whose name rhymes with Hebrew? Unless they have E`V32 Somalis among them, I don't believe they were our priestly clan.

Names like Cabudwaaq came after Islam since the word Cabud has origins in the Arabic word Ibadah.

The fascinating thing about this is that Somalis still used the word Waaq to refer to Allah even after we converted.
Waaq means the sky or heaven in old Somali and also in older versions of Oromo, it only started meaning God to Oromos after the 1500’s.

Somalis were separate multiple nations before Islam ( you can see that from genetic tests) and Somali ethnogenesis came about because of Islam, so asking what religion Somalis were before Islam is like asking what the religion of Poles was before Catholicism.

NidarNidar

β™šSargon of Adalβ™š
VIP
You mean the same Yibir who are getting Semitic results and whose name rhymes with Hebrew? Unless they have E`V32 Somalis among them, I don't believe they were our priestly clan.

I can only look to our closest group who practices the same beliefs, Yibir from what I can tell are J1 and could have untested members who are E-V32 and arrived with T Somalis roughly at the same time, they were blacksmiths, the Rendille would have been proto-Somalis at this stage, you can find some Arabian maternal haplogroups that are associated with Dir, alongside the camel domestication, they were probably the first group to arrive in modern-day Kenya, before we became Muslim.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Trending

Latest posts