Serious Discussion About Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are all cultures equal? :hmm:

Moreover is it racist to point out some cultures are more superior than others?

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
Some aspects of all cultures are bad. Dutch culture isn't all good and Malaysian culture isn't all bad. That's the thing with these "anti PC" crowd don't get. I can give you a whole list of things about American culture that's fucked up but that doesn't mean American culture is all bad.

It's pure black & white for some people. No room for nuance.

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
At present yes some cultures are better than others.

But all of the societies which currently exist have experienced some form of bloodshed in the past including the West.

maestro

Cultural revolution
Dutch (basically the same as any other western culture) is not superior to any culture. Cadaan have 0 family values and 10% of them want to kill themselves. No thanks sxb. You atheists sure love kissing white ass

Some aspects of all cultures are bad. Dutch culture isn't all good and Malaysian culture isn't all bad. That's the thing with these "anti PC" crowd don't get. I can give you a whole list of things about American culture that's fucked up but that doesn't mean American culture is all bad.

It's pure black & white for some people. No room for nuance.
Ofcourse. I am not doubting that even the most barbaric of cultures can have some aspects which we can call "good" But is it really in the wrong to state that this culture:
funerary.jpg

Is more superior than this?
(Hadza hunter gathered tribe which hasn't changed for a millenia)
Mussa-Domanga.png

Dutch (basically the same as any other western culture) is not superior to any culture. Cadaan have 0 family values and 10% of them want to kill themselves. No thanks sxb. You atheists sure love kissing white ass
Nowhere were cadaan people mentioned in this thread. You might wanna get your internalised inferiority complex checked out
:what:

Yes, I would argue it's racist to say so. But you also need to define what you mean by culture.
Culture is something seperate from race. It's related to a variety of complex things like social values, morals, beliefs, achievements, etc

maestro

Cultural revolution
Inferiority complex who? Stop self projecting and drop this act. We all know where you're getting at with this superior culture bullshit. :kodaksmiley:

Culture is something seperate from race. It's related to a vroety of complex things like social values, morals, beliefs, achievements, etc
Things like social values, morals, beliefs and even achievements are all relative. Besides it's hard to quantify all of these issues, so the comparison is kind of meaningless. Also I can't think of any other way to construe the idea of quantifying cultures this way other than as racist.

Not all cultures are equal as some cultures are backwards. The ones that are inferior do not survive.
I agree with this. I would never condone telling someone his culture is inferior as that would be anti social and offensive behaviour. But I don't think there is anything wrong with admitting certain cultures are more superior than others, not because of virtue of birth but because people from superior cultures actively shun the bad parts of their culture while embracing the good parts in a bid to self improve.

Things like social values, morals, beliefs and even achievements are all relative. Besides it's hard to quantify all of these issues, so the comparison is kind of meaningless. Also I can't think of any other way to construe the idea of quantifying cultures this way other than as racist.
Do you believe Saudi culture and Swedish culture are equal

Do you believe Saudi culture and Swedish culture are equal
I understand the point you're making, but I believe it's more about a set of circumstances than one culture being inherently superior to the other. For various reasons, one saw changes over the last four hundred years and the other didn't. One has a religion 600 or so years younger than the dormant one of the other. Besides, if the Muslim world was a creature, Saudis would be the asshole. That's really how bad they are.

Last edited:
I understand the point you're making, but I believe it's more about a set of circumstances than one culture being inherently superior to the other. For various reasons, one saw changes over the last four hundred years and the other didn't. One has a religion 600 or so years younger than the dormant one of the other. Besides, if the Muslim world was a creature, Saudis would be the asshole.

I agree that some cultures are progressing more than others. However, there are cultures that haven't been given the chance to evolve because more 'superior' cultures have shunned them.

I agree that some cultures are progressing more than others. And off course there are cultures that haven't been given the chance to evolve because more 'superior' cultures have shunned them.
Yeah, because cultures who have progressed more along the line have either shunned them or tried to convert them all at once (when ironically they themselves had taken a very long time to accept change). I just don't buy the idea that European culture is inherently superior when I know what was happening just a few hundred years ago. Most of them were worse than the worst countries on Earth today. One may have looked at the Muslim culture 1000s and come to the conclusion that it's superior to European culture. It's all about circumstances.

European culture is not inherently superior but it would be dishonest to say they are not currently on the top today. It seems a lot of muslims have a hard time swallowing this bitter pill and would much rather zoom in on non issues like potty etiquette instead of looking to weed out the stifling parts of their culture

Tramo

Nine kitaabs on a bookshelf
Ofcourse. I am not doubting that even the most barbaric of cultures can have some aspects which we can call "good" But is it really in the wrong to state that this culture:
funerary.jpg

Is more superior than this?
(Hadza hunter gathered tribe which hasn't changed for a millenia)
Mussa-Domanga.png
what makes a culture superior to another? the criteria is arbitrary and subjective, subject to the whims of the biases of whoever's passing judgement

Nin xun

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
European culture is not inherently superior but it would be dishonest to say they are not currently on the top today. It seems a lot of muslims have a hard time swallowing this bitter pill and would much rather zoom in on non issues like potty etiquette instead of looking to weed out the stifling parts of their culture
It's easier to focus on social reform when most of your population is educated, not living on a subsistence level and having a relative amount of freedom. One should remember that europe has a history of regressing these progresses when these things take a hit, like the recent rise of the far right in the west in tandem with the economic downturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts