Should Somali be classed in a different group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
aren't language groups based on lineage rather than overt similarities?

if languages branch off each other and we can trace that than no cushitic language families ought to be kept intact

if languages branch off each other and we can trace that than no cushitic language families ought to be kept intact
I think so
I just think somali is quite different to a lot of the others

Yes, ancestral lineage. But languages in the same group have more similarities than ones outside, so it's the same thing really.:icon lol:

yeah when i hear afar and oromo i am really disapointed because they sound like shit. somali to me sounds more bad ass. what is closest language to somali in yr opinion sound wise
I say rendille i think is closest sounding, then i would have said afar
Definetely not oromo at all

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
yeah when i hear afar and oromo i am really disapointed because they sound like shit. somali to me sounds more bad ass.
It's because the Afroasiatic family is the oldest recorded language family, and the cushitic branch is also likely much older than European ones, so they've had much more time to separate and develop into their own languages.

I thought you were disagreeing lol
I have seen somalis on twitter say they understand some of it too
bro am not even joking, i understand it as much as maay maay. some of the words they either use same meaning words that are not often used in my region and sometimes they just flip around existing words. its quite weird to discover this now

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
37879fe6347712b427f2d42667709fa5.png

>34.7K

unacceptable :mjcry:

bro am not even joking, i understand it as much as maay maay. some of the words they either use same meaning words that are not often used in my region and sometimes they just flip around existing words. its quite weird to discover this now
Interesting!
The others seem different

It's because the Afroasiatic family is the oldest recorded language family, and the cushitic branch is also likely much older than European ones, so they've had much more time to separate and develop into their own languages.

I don't think it's just that. It's just we can't tell similarities by just looking at things sometimes. Some words are linked in the weirdest ways that we wouldn't be able to tell just by listening or reading briefly.:icon lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending