Should Somalis adopt the concept of arranged marriage?

SonOfMaverick

"I don’t live in darkness, darkness lives in me."
Lil Wayne GIF by giphydiscovery

“I’m Married to da money, f*** the world, that's adultery”

- Lil Wayne

Providing the parents aren't qabil obsessed and care more about other qualities, arranged marriages can definitely be great.

Only issue is that some Somali parents have very low standards. I know of cases of them encouraging their daughter to marry guy because he is 'of the same tribe' and apart from that, the chap doesn't have any other qualities they can speak of apart from being habal habal's son. What about his level of education, career, ambition, what about doing proper background checks to see if he regularly attends the masjids ect. A lot of arranged marriages won't work in our community as a lot of fathers are complacent and laid back when it comes to their role of Walis.

Despite timo jilecs marriage issues, one thing I do admire is that parents try to make sure their daughters get with proper providers with a similar educational backgrounds as their daughters. Many older generation Somalis don't have that mentality.

Indeed. That's the other half of the problem. Finding a Somali girl receptive to an arranged marriage with a father proactively interested in helping is extremely unlikely.

I do believe it would solve a lot of problems, but arranged marriages don't fit Somalis. I have noticed Somalis mature way slower in thinking about marriage and kids than our Asian and Arab counterparts.

Indeed. That's the other half of the problem. Finding a Somali girl receptive to an arranged marriage with a father proactively interested in helping is extremely unlikely.

I do believe it would solve a lot of problems, but arranged marriages don't fit Somalis. I have noticed Somalis mature way slower in thinking about marriage and kids than our Asian and Arab counterparts.
Nah, the issue is that many arranged marriages that happens in the Somali community is based on qabil and usually the other potential spouse is from back home and has nothing in common with the girl. Honestly, think back to most situations of arranged marriages in our community and unfortunately, you'll find those are the most common. So of course, the girls would hate that idea. Even our guys are anti arranged marriages, so the decent ones who are catches, will try to avoid it and meet a girl in a different way.

Most girls will at least give it a go if parents actually looked for partners for their child that actually have attractive qualities like similar age, from the diaspora, Educated and has a good/decent job. Also, the trick is for the fam to be laid back and not too pushy.

Last edited:
Your parent will usually find you a good match and will consider many things before pitching a person,im not fussed, either I stumble into one or my parents can give me a suggestion which I can suss out.Its generally good to get the parents involved because at the end of the day you're marrying a family not only a women, its a responsibility upon all muslim men to choose good mothers for their children.

For a guy, his family shouldn't be involved too much and he should bring his own woman to the family if he can. There are opportunities for college age guys. They should start to think settling down IN their senior year and swipe phone numbers from potential wives. I would advise that to my young male relatives. Real men bring their wives home. LOL.

Under the pandemic is the perfect time to get married.. Thanks to the restrictions and the lockdown the wedding expenses are minimal, many faraxs have taken advantage of this opportunity.

This 100% I missed out so much, the height of covid faraxs won. Money in the bank after marriage ? Whaaat ?

2020 was the year of Faraxs.

Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

For a guy, his family shouldn't be involved too much and he should bring his own woman to the family if he can. There are opportunities for college age guys. They should start to think settling down IN their senior year and swipe phone numbers from potential wives. I would advise that to my young male relatives. Real men bring their wives home. LOL.
If all the guys should find their own wives, then arranged marriages wouldn't exist? Nothing wrong with maybe getting to know a girl your sister, aunt or hooyo recommend.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If all the guys should find their own wives, then arranged marriages wouldn't exist? Nothing wrong with maybe getting to know a girl your sister, aunt or hooyo recommend.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

True. Opportunity and personality play a role in how people meet their significant other. For those individuals who for some reason can not get an opportunity on their own, arranged opportunities or marriages are options. I am not opposed to people doing something beneficial and legit. With that said, I would nurture a young male to get his own wife and bring one home.

Here is how it goes:

- Raise him well and turn him into smart elegant young man.
- Get him a driver's license at 16 or 17 years Old.
- Hook him up with summer jobs as soon as he can legally work
- Buy him latest Iphone
- Sign him up at the gym and tell him no gal wants floppy dude
- 4GPA average or close at high school graduation
- Tell him to talk to me if he falls in love with a high school Somali classmate
- Tell him a real man does not sleep around but dignifies the girl who is willing to go with him all the way by proposing they marry
- I will talk to the girl's dad and tell him my son likes his daughter and we should do something about it.

- Get them a one bedroom during college so they start their journey together.

I will definitely hook up any son of mine and be there for him.

On the other hand, it is hard to hook up a daughter as it would be a catch 22. Mothers should do that instead of the father. No father wants to feel his daughter is up for sale. I would encourage the same as I would do for my son with the extra protection that she should not trust any guy who wants to sleep with her and she should consider that to be a deal breaker. If a guy is not willing to come to her house and introduce himself to the family, then he is no good for her.

Arranged marriages in the Somali community doesn't work. These hooyos will try to match their gangbanger ciyaal suuq sons with educated good hearted xalimos

Nalaaye floxks

Life is like a sandwich, the bread comes first💰💯
If prophet mohamed (S.A.W) allows it then im cool with it, as long as you don’t force on her/him, it’ll become haram

Nalaaye floxks

Life is like a sandwich, the bread comes first💰💯
Arranged marriages in the Somali community doesn't work. These hooyos will try to match their gangbanger ciyaal suuq sons with educated good hearted xalimos
Idgaf about arranged marriage tbh, if she listens to eli fross, freaky and darkskinned (different qabil) then I’m down :russsmug:

Trending