So...is anyone else adopted?

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
Family adopting nephew or niece I know a few but adopting a kid with no family relations. Never or extremely

The only couple I know that adopted outside their family. The Husband was infertile then a local teen got pregnant and both families worked it out before the child was born

Also, remember I'm talking about my personal experience not yhe wider somali community. Honestly, I have no idea

attash

Amaan Duule
@attash no he’s fully Somalis same sub clan just got adopted into that family . You have to understand immigrants were rare back then .😭😭😭😭
Alhamdulilah, we thought we lost you

1720136552966.gif

Somalis have no culture of adopting randos. Only if it's a distant or close relative that's an orphan. The child's full name is never changed. so was it a case of child protection services kidnapping you and handing you over to a gaal white family?

Last edited:
Me and my two other brothers got adopted by my aunt and her husband. My mother's sister that is. We lived with my first mother in Somalia until her passing, then we moved to England. We were very young and my brothers remember nothing of Somalia.

So far as me and my brothers are concerned we turned out well. We were loved by our parents and late grandmother, our siblings were happy to have us. We were never made to feel any less.

Adoption is something me and my step brother talk about about lol, he is a "light" sheikh so he is often of the opinion that it is forbidden and not "sharia", the concern around this tends to be when the boy or girl comes of age and are living with "unrelated" adults and other fears of endangering children.

One of my brothers grew up to be a sheikh, the other one is a civil engineer contractor and I am a programmer by trade.

I have given adoption a lot of thought for sure, eventually deciding to adopt some of my children as well, my brother's concerns scare me, of course, so its important for me to find a wife who will be on board with this for herself as well.

NidarNidar

🛸Space🖖Dandy🛸
VIP
Somalis typically adopt only relatives or close family friends. This strong family system ensures that no child is abandoned or left begging, even in difficult times. There will always be food on the table because of the close-knit support network within the community.

Me and my two other brothers got adopted by my aunt and her husband. My mother's sister that is. We lived with my first mother in Somalia until her passing, then we moved to England. We were very young and my brothers remember nothing of Somalia.

AUN. It's common for Somalis to raise their nieces/nephews or grandchildren. My mother was also raised by her aunt after the passing of her mum.

So far as me and my brothers are concerned we turned out well. We were loved by our parents and late grandmother, our siblings were happy to have us. We were never made to feel any less.

Adoption is something me and my step brother talk about about lol, he is a "light" sheikh so he is often of the opinion that it is forbidden and not "sharia", the concern around this tends to be when the boy or girl comes of age and are living with "unrelated" adults and other fears of endangering children.

One of my brothers grew up to be a sheikh, the other one is a civil engineer contractor and I am a programmer by trade.

I have given adoption a lot of thought for sure, eventually deciding to adopt some of my children as well, my brother's concerns scare me, of course, so its important for me to find a wife who will be on board with this for herself as well.

There's nothing wrong with taking on the guardianship of an orphan/neglected child. It actually carries a lot of reward. What's forbidden is claiming them as your biological child and giving them your name/lineage.

Trending

Latest posts