So many Somali names aren´t Somali

Garaad diinle

 
So are:
i) Faarax (A happy gentleman ), and
ii) Xalimah (A patient lady) - as the OP pointed out.

حليمة: اِمْرَأةٌ حَلِيمَةٌ؛ مُتَسَامِحَةٌ عَاقِلَةٌ
فَرْحانُ: صفة مشبَّهة تدلّ على الثبوت من فرِحَ/ فرِحَ بـ: مسرور
I think it's a misnomer. while xalima is clearly from arabic origin i think faarax is of somali origin and it not the same as farax waallahuaclam.

Garaad diinle

 
How is 'Faarax' misnomer when its etymological root is Arabic?
  • فَارح : فاعل من فَرِحَ
You see sometimes names might look the same but share no history with each other. For example and this is a crazy example so don't take it seriously. The king of punt which is said to be located in the somali coast is said to be named parahu. The somali language don't use the "p" sound so they would pronounce parahu as faraho or farahaow much like how arab pronounce paris as faris. Now faris in arabic is a horsemen but although it might sound like faris meaning paris aka persia they don't share the same origin with each other. This if proven to be correct would be the oldest somali name ever recorded in history.

My name is Arabic but it’s Islamic so I don’t see the issue

I do think we should stick to naming our children Islamic or our native names. That’s what other non Arab Muslims do. We need to stop with naming kids Zayd and Sabrina lol

I’m named after a prophet of Allah nigga. Why tf would I wanna be named waaq ooga booga
Niggas would rather be named Eebe and Amartiwaaq over Muxammad and Ismaaciil literally Nabi names.

68 is rampant amongst these lot, this Somali nationalist obsession will lead to Arab hatred which always leads to kuffar

we have to adopt more Arabic names not the other way around

induction

Nothing is true; everything is permitted
What’s dumb about wanting to preserve ur ethnic names?
it's natural my guy. don't say "oh no, the arabs influenced me, ama remove all that influence", thats just naive imo. instead aim to make somalia so strong that it influences its neighbors. i.e aim to make kenyans name their children wacays, warsame, etc. Its natural that strong cultures influence the weaker ones.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
Niggas would rather be named Eebe and Amartiwaaq over Muxammad and Ismaaciil literally Nabi names.

68 is rampant amongst these lot, this Somali nationalist obsession will lead to Arab hatred which always leads to kuffar

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

KinsiHilaac

Pretend there is a title here

No comment we need to tarxiil arab lovers like u to the emirates

Garaad diinle

 
Let us say that is all true, what is the meaning of 'Faarax' in Somali? Almost all original Somali names could be traced back their origin, and meaning.
As i said it's a possibility so i could be mistaken in my approach. Now you asked what it means right? I'm afraid that this approach is a bit simplistic you see can we really say we know the meaning of somali clan names? Whats the meaning of dir whats the meaning of darood or hawiya, digil and mirifle. If we dig into the somali genealogical names am sure will find numerus names that we know nothing about or what they mean but that won't make them less somali.

As i said it's a possibility so i could be mistaken in my approach. Now you asked what it means right? I'm afraid that this approach is a bit simplistic you see can we really say we know the meaning of somali clan names? Whats the meaning of dir whats the meaning of darood or hawiya, digil and mirifle. If we dig into the somali genealogical names am sure will find numerus names that we know nothing about or what they mean but that won't make them less somali.
Valid points. Clan names like names of nations, cities, or other geographical land marks have evolved with some losing their original meaning, and with only linguists able to decipher.

hinters

E pluribus unum
VIP
Also, it doesn't have to be one or the other, we don't have to completely get rid of Arabic names, it's possible to have a balance.

Yet those ignoramuses think that wanting to preserve Somali names means that we want to get rid of Arabic names, who said that?

KinsiHilaac

Pretend there is a title here
Also, it doesn't have to be one or the other, we don't have to completely get rid of Arabic names, it's possible to have a balance.

Yet those ignoramuses think that wanting to preserve Somali names means that we want to get rid of Arabic names, who said that?
they love arabic shit thats why

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Samirah-Arabic
Muna-Arabic
Xalima-Arabic

This is fascinating .

That a whole country can have less of their own Somali ethnic names than Arabic ones.

Take back the Somali language.
None of those name sound somali they’re obviously ajnabi. I came in here to see you claim Guleed or Warsame is ajnabi. Do better!