Somali cultural appropriation

The suit is Western cultural appropriation, yet you don't hear the Arab haters cry about that.

au-2-1024x683.jpg

1910s.jpg

Morning-Frock-Lounge.jpg

Somali leaders need to find a way to modernise traditional Somali garments and wear that in public and not wear suits or look like urchins wearing lost and found Asian garments.

Apollo

VIP
@Apollo

Somali leaders need to find a way to modernise traditional Somali garments and wear that in public and not wear suits or look like a lost urchin wearing lost and found Asian garments.

Funding for art schools is needed.

Although art schools produce some annoying deluded SJWs, occasionally some talented people come out of it.

No art schools exist in Somaliweyn as far as I am aware. All the state funded cultural stuff collapsed with Barre, even though you may not like him, look into his funding for the culture industry. He was the only Somali leader who did.

Sudanese wear wide armed robes
Nigerian Muslims have their own style
Pakistanis/Afghans wear Salwar Kamiiz
Iranians have their own style

Somalis are among the only groups who copy and paste and it's even more disturbing because we weren't colonised by the people we copy. Madow descendants of slaves and those from former Arab colonies copy and paste Arab styles.

It reminds me of how Madow and Oromos copy Somali styles; they took the Alindi print in Comoros and Uganda, those Oromos actually just copy us and have the nerve to claim it's their culture.

Funding for art schools is needed.

Although art schools produce some annoying deluded SJWs, occasionally some talented people come out of it.

No art schools exist in Somaliweyn as far as I am aware. All the state funded cultural stuff collapsed with Barre, even though you may not like him, look into his funding for the culture industry. He was the only Somali leader who did.

Yes, Art is very important for civilisation and pride. We need to bring that back and protect Artisan classes and also bring back the Alindi/Banadiri industry of weaving clothes and refuse to import poor imitations from Asia.

Apollo

VIP
It is quite easy to create modernized fashion inspired by Somali nomadism that can also be worn professionally. You only needed the skills taught in fashion schools.

There is this Benadiri Somali artist (Omar Munie) in the Netherlands, but he produces quite trash handbags for white people and I don't like his style.

Western taught Somali artists should be avoided.

It is quite easy to create modernized fashion inspired by Somali nomadism that can also be worn professionally. You only needed the skills taught in fashion schools.

There is this Benadiri Somali artist (Omar Munie) in the Netherlands, but he produces quite trash handbags for white people and I don't like his style.

Western taught Somali artists should be avoided.

I think Somalis can bring back Somali pride and empower Gabooye groups at the same time.
For example, the White cotton should be grown and made in Somalia, nowhere else.
Leather sandals and belts should be made by Gabooyes, not brought from outside and these should be priced differently and treated like 'Art'.

To modernise the Somali male outfits, the top can be a White Shirt + White cloth across the shoulder or criss/cross and the bottom sewn as a Macawiis and secured with a belt.

For Somali elders, they can wear the same outfits but each elder can have it specially made/customised and with a headwrap of sorts, not the Omani hat or Arab head cloth.

Somali leaders need to find a way to modernise traditional Somali garments and wear that in public and not wear suits or look like urchins wearing lost and found Asian garments.
Somalis have a monkey see monkey do culture, someone needs to start the trend and the rest will follow trying to upstage the previous. I quite like the full white with the leather staff and cimaamad from traditional Somali print.

9695f3bbbf3bbc847eded1da5768ae83.jpg

Somalis have a monkey see monkey do culture, someone needs to start the trend and the rest will follow trying to upstage the previous. I quite like the full white with the staff and cimaamad from traditional Somali print.

9695f3bbbf3bbc847eded1da5768ae83.jpg

Yes, this is what I am thinking of, but I think the top can be improved if there is not just a White shirt but also a separate cloth across the shoulder or criss cross such as this;

The staff aka hangool is also important.

ENfDc9uUYAExvE7.jpg

Apollo

VIP
I think Somalis can bring back Somali pride and empower Gabooye groups at the same time.
For example, the White cotton should be grown and made in Somalia, nowhere else.
Leather sandals and belts should be made by Gabooyes, not brought from outside and these should be priced differently and treated like 'Art'.

To modernise the Somali male outfits, the top can be a White Shirt + White cloth across the shoulder or criss/cross and the bottom sewn as a Macawiis and secured with a belt.

For Somali elders, they can wear the same outfits but each elder can have it specially made/customised and with a headwrap of sorts, not the Omani hat or Arab head cloth.

Western aesthetics since the ~1960s has gone haywire.

Look at some of the most recent buildings build in year area, and then compare them to old city centers in Europe..

I don't get how some of those shitty Western architects and fashion designers get away with what they do. Nobody is willing to call them out.

The suit is Western cultural appropriation, yet you don't hear the Arab haters cry about that.

au-2-1024x683.jpg

1910s.jpg

Morning-Frock-Lounge.jpg
Come one now, suits have become universal. Everyone wears them no matter the creed. Saudi bisht and cimaamad thats unique to one region in the world is a different story. There are some bisht that Somalis wear that even some tribes living in Saudi would be too embarrassed to wear.

Western aesthetics since the ~1960s has gone haywire.

Look at some of the most recent buildings build in year area, and then compare them to old city centers in Europe..

I don't get how some of those shitty Western architects and fashion designers get away with what they do. Nobody is willing to call them out.

You're right, they are also suffering from having their cultures eroded and replaced with soulless modern disasters.

But they are smart enough in having preserved their history and they also make sure their cultural foods are protected and standardised.

Apollo

VIP
Come one now, suits have become universal. Everyone wears them no matter the creed. Saudi bisht and cimaamad thats unique to one region in the world is a different story. There are some bisht that Somalis wear that even some tribes living in Saudi would be too embarrassed to wear.

The origins of the suit are 100% from Western Europe.

Westerners were just better at spreading their culture globally making you think it is normal, global, universal and not cooning.

The origins of the suit are 100% from Western Europe.

Westerners were just better at spreading their culture globally making you think it is normal, global, universal and not cooning.
The origins are European but thanks to colonialism and globalization suit/tie is seen as the universal formal dress code. A better example of a Western European dress code would be the German Tracht. Wearing that to a wedding would be cooning.

Apollo

VIP
The origins are European but thanks to colonialism and globalization suit/tie is seen as the universal formal dress code. A better example of a Western European dress code would be the German Tracht. Wearing that to a wedding would be cooning.

I see no difference in levels of cooning between a Somali wearing a suit and a Somali wearing a thawb. With the historical knowledge in mind, I view the thawb as less coonish compared to the suit, counterintuitively.

Trending

Latest posts