Somali cultural appropriation

I see no difference in levels of cooning between a Somali wearing a suit and a Somali wearing a thawb. With the historical knowledge in mind, I view the thawb as less coonish compared to the suit, counterintuitively.
Good thing my thread wasn't about the thawb and instead about the bisht and tabloclooth cimaamad that Saudis and only Saudis wear. Comparing that to suit/tie which is a universal formal dress code every country on earth follows is a false equivalence.

The origins of the suit are 100% from Western Europe.

Westerners were just better at spreading their culture globally making you think it is normal, global, universal and not cooning.
Imagine an alternate world in which China did not close itself from the rest of the World after the Ming treasure/exploration voyages and became a global imperial/colonial power like the Portuguese, British & Spaniards.

Much like how Western Europeans [Spaniards & Britons] spread the Suit across the World, the Chinese Tang "Suit" would've become common among non-East Asians, due to immense Chinese soft power:
asian-man-chinese-traditional-dress-cheongsam-tang-suit-greeting-chinese-new-year-concept-male-model-isolated-white-109932953.jpg

Apollo

VIP
Good thing my thread wasn't about the thawb and instead about the bisht and tabloclooth cimaamad that Saudis and only Saudis wear. Comparing that to suit/tie which is a universal formal dress code every country on earth follows is a false equivalence.

The bisht and keffiyeh are accessories to the thawb.

Similar to how bow ties, cravats, three-pieces, cuffs etc are variations to the suit.

Lol, there is no escaping, the suit is just as alien to Somali historical culture as dressing like a Saudi is, it only feels more normalized.

The bisht and keffiyeh are accessories to the thawb.

Similar to how bow ties, cravats, three-pieces, cuffs etc are variations to the suit.

Lol, there is no escaping, the suit is just as alien to Somali history as dressing like a Saudi is, it only feels more normalized.
Do you know what globalization is? Suit/Tie is a part of the global culture, bisht and the table cloth worn by a few tribes in Saudi Arabia is not. You will see people in Japan, Brazil, Iceland, and Jamaica wearing the suit, not even other countries in the Gulf are wearing Saudi bisht or cimamad. Your argument is a false equivalence. I know you want to numb the reality that a lot of Somalis genuinely perceive Saudi culture as superior but please come up with a better arguement.

Apollo

VIP
Do you know what globalization is? Suit/Tie is a part of the global culture, bisht and the table cloth worn by a few tribes in Saudi Arabia is not. You will see people in Japan, Brazil, Iceland, and Jamaica wearing the suit, not even other countries in the Gulf are wearing Saudi bisht or cimamad. Your argument is a false equivalence. I know you want to numb the reality that a lot of Somalis genuinely perceive Saudi culture as superior but please come up with a better arguement.

Only part of ''global culture'' due to the white man colonizing brown and black savages. Next time you diss a Somali for wearing Arab clothes think of the Western alternatives and their origins.

:mjhaps:

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Somalia doesn't fund arts and being an artist is looked down upon in Somali culture.

Siyaad Barre was the only one who tried creating local arts, theatre etc. His regime even created tons of Cushitic Somali words for scientific terms. People hate on Siyaad Barre, but he was by far the best Somali leader so far.

Current Somali regimes don't care about local culture, hence the cultural bootyclapping and adoption of nearby cultures (especially Arab, Turkish, Swahili, Indian etc.).
do you have doc. or link of these words?

Periplus

Min Al-Nahr ila Al-Ba7r
VIP
Tbf Somali aristocrats used to wear robes similar to the Arab bisht.

If you look at the old photos of Somali royalty and upper-class, you can see some similarities with Khaleej clothing.

The problem is brain dead Somalis rejected that and decided to straight up rip off Khaleeji clothing.

Trending

Latest posts