Somali food!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merca

Inactive.
food cannot be invented. every nation has remixed the type of food their neighbour makes, and sometimes on accident create their own dishes. laxoox isn't anymore ethiopian then it is somali. xaalwo isn't anymore arab then it is somali. bariis isn't anymore asian then it is somali etc. etc. our environments shape us, and that includes the civilizations we had contact with in the past. the problem is the lack of variation in western somali households. all you guys eat is either bariis or baasto, half of y'all didn't know what digiir was yesterday :jcoleno:

me included :mjcry:
Hahaha srsly. Everyone thinks that we eat bariis iyo moos together with ketchup.

VixR

Veritas
There's nothing like Somali Pilaf rice. That's #1. I like...

Rice
Sabayad
Oodkac minus all that oil
Bilash (?)
Shidni
Khumbo(?)

I hate...

Xalwo
Laxoox
Beans
Soor

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Cambulo is south Asian. They even put cambulo in their curry lol.
Cambuulo the dish is unique to Somalis as in the way it's prepared etc. The beans are used pretty much everywhere though mostly in South Asian countries as you stated, if they're not incorporating it into their foods here and there they're usually turning it into a paste and then a dessert.

h̶a̶l̶f̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶y̶'̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶didn't know what digiir was yesterday :jcoleno:
Thee must learneth to taketh thy L's.

• Canjeero
  • Sabaayad
  • Mushaari
  • Buskeeti
  • Bariis
  • Baasto
  • Malawax
  • Oodkac
  • Muufo
  • Bajiye
  • Sambuus
  • Shushumoow
  • :manny:

Nin xun

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Your inner Habar Sa'ad Muuse is seeping out sxb.

I keep cambuulo in my pockets to keep people away, proceed with caution if you see me.
Dunno about that but I used to hear something about Abgaals and Issa having some similarities so there goes the northern ties, it's a reach I know...
:manny:
Waad garatay:mjohreally:

I see you with the 'dee' :salute:
I've started saying qalanjo too, qalanjo.
:westbrookswag:

food cannot be invented. every nation has remixed the type of food their neighbour makes, and sometimes on accident create their own dishes. laxoox isn't anymore ethiopian then it is somali. xaalwo isn't anymore arab then it is somali. bariis isn't anymore asian then it is somali etc. etc. our environments shape us, and that includes the civilizations we had contact with in the past. the problem is the lack of variation in western somali households. all you guys eat is either bariis or baasto, half of y'all didn't know what digiir was yesterday :jcoleno:

me included :mjcry:

Laxoox is not Ethiopian but international bread, Sudan, Nubia, Morocca, Algeria, Yemen, in India is called dosa all these cook & eat laxoox. Xaaxlwo is not Arabic but Indian treat introduced first by Indian to Yemen and from Yemen it reached Somalia. Even the Somali rice is the close to Yemen, Iranian rice, afghan rice, ...etc
Same pasta was invented first time in China and traveled to Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts