Somali mythology

psyche

To each their own
How robust is Somali folklore/myths?

From what I could remember by asking others and my parents there's not that much to it. Which is unsurprising considering Islam and to a lesser extend other Abrahamic religions tend to do an excellent job of destroying native legends. It also didn't help that Somalis weren't smart enough to write down information. It really is sad that so much history was lost because of this

From what I could remember by asking others and my parents there's not that much to it. Which is unsurprising considering Islam and to a lesser extend other Abrahamic religions tend to do an excellent job of destroying native legends. It also didn't help that Somalis weren't smart enough to write down information. It really is sad that so much history was lost because of this
Weren't smart enough? Somalis certainly weren't the only ones like that. Where's your backbone dude? And of course Islam rids society of useless idiotic mythology. It's called mythology for a reason man.

psyche

To each their own
Weren't smart enough? Somalis certainly weren't the only ones like that. Where's your backbone dude? And of course Islam rids society of useless idiotic mythology. It's called mythology for a reason man.

Well at least the others were somewhat preserved, unlike ours which were purged from existence. You still here about Greek god/goddess and other legends from the Iliad and the Odyssey.

And mythology is important because it gives insight to the culture/religion of past. Which you seem to disregard because your beliefs are more important.

Well at least the others were somewhat preserved, unlike ours which were purged from existence. You still here about Greek god/goddess and other legends from the Iliad and the Odyssey.

And mythology is important because it gives insight to the culture/religion of past. Which you seem to disregard because your beliefs are more important.
How does mythology provide insight into the culture of the past? And why should I care for the religion of the past? My beliefs aren't more important, they are correct and therefore the only ones of relevance.

And these legends are scarcely ever logical or reasonable at all. Why were you trolling me though yesterday as @Fanatical?

psyche

To each their own
How does mythology provide insight into the culture of the past? And why should I care for the religion of the past? My beliefs aren't more important, they are correct and therefore the only ones of relevance.

I'm not here to debate religion I'm here to talk about either Somali myths or the destruction of said myth.

If you are going to downplay the importance of myths and bring in "Islam is the true religion" I suggest you leave.

psyche

To each their own
I know a bit. But our ancestors abandoned them and didn't care. Why should we?

Because 'they' are our ancestor's culture. Why would we not care? They are generally a good source of information from the past and gives insight to how they thought/lived.

If that isn't considered important information then I don't know what to do with you.

I'm not here to debate religion I'm here to talk about either Somali myths or the destruction of said myth.

If you are going to downplay the importance of myths and bring in "Islam is the true religion" I suggest you leave.
I suggest you provide me one reason why I should care for the foolishness my long-dead ignorant ancestors engaged in, whether you believe in Islam or not.

Because 'they' are our ancestor's culture. Why would we not care? They are generally a good source of information from the past and gives insight to how they thought/lived.

If that isn't considered important information then I don't know what to do with you.
How is that important information? Why should we care? You're the one arguing it is important so it's on you to prove that, not him to disprove it.

Juke

VIP

Well our ancestors disagree with you. They didn't think it was important enough to maintain, they willfully abandoned those beliefs and practices.

You still here about Greek god/goddess and other legends from the Iliad and the Odyssey.

That's an ignorant example. If it was up to the Greeks you wouldn't hear about that stuff. It was other white people, particularly western Europe who was fascinated with that stuff.

Greeks tried their best to distance themselves from their pagan beliefs when they converted to Christianity. They went to the extent of not associating themselves as "Greeks" or"Hellenes" (those names were for the previous pagan inhabitants) instead they reinvented themselves as a new people. They called themselves as "Romans" until the fall of the Ottoman empire last century at that point they re-identified themselves as Greeks.

You said they were stupid so why would you want to know that? How they lived? A nomadic lifestyle, everyone knows this already.

ibn Yahya Al-Sooli

Anti-Qabiilism & Anti-Nationalism
@borednibba9 @Jimmer get out

I don't feel like talking to two ignoramuses.
You're the ignoramus. Alhamdulillah our people were guided from darkness to light and you want to bring up the dark past and claim it is a part of our glorious history that we can learn from. Aoothubillah!

"Then is it the judgement of [the time of] ignorance they desire? But who is better than Allah in judgement for a people who are certain [in faith]" (Quran 5:50)

Trending