somali traditional shoes

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
yeb am also wondering why dont we revive our jubbad (khamiis), we have been wearing a thobe like khamis if u saw the vintage and hand-drawings
There's a guy in England who made it first, was messaging him about a second drop soon isnhallah I'll buy it and then bring it to a tailor to get some things added on like the belts you see in vintage photos.

There's a guy in England who made it first, was messaging him about a second drop soon isnhallah I'll buy it and then bring it to a tailor to get some things added on like the belts you see in vintage photos.

the somali belt is called kiishad
its fine to add the cloak, but lets name it as a JOOG not JOUKE

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
the somali belt is called kiishad
its fine to add the cloak, but lets name it as a JOOG not JOUKE
Yeah I'm thinking about the belts and other stuff you see decorate the khamiis of people like Sultan Diinle

1726178919982.png

Somalis throughout history had a vibrant sandle/shoe and leather product making industry which they ended up spreading to the northern swahili coastal settlements as well. Bags, pouches, belts , hand bags and book covers etc

PYHmEiq.png

4453912461_8f966df4e5_z.jpg

During the Kacaan period they tried to expand on it and make them into luxury items.

See the first minute of this video. Mentions bones, metal, ivory, wood carvings and even stone cutting. Alongside leatherwork with sandals and pouches etc They show a couple of those sandals being sold by traditional craftsmen.

Last edited: