somali traditional shoes

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
yeb am also wondering why dont we revive our jubbad (khamiis), we have been wearing a thobe like khamis if u saw the vintage and hand-drawings
There's a guy in England who made it first, was messaging him about a second drop soon isnhallah I'll buy it and then bring it to a tailor to get some things added on like the belts you see in vintage photos.

There's a guy in England who made it first, was messaging him about a second drop soon isnhallah I'll buy it and then bring it to a tailor to get some things added on like the belts you see in vintage photos.

the somali belt is called kiishad
its fine to add the cloak, but lets name it as a JOOG not JOUKE

Khaemwaset

VIP
the somali belt is called kiishad
its fine to add the cloak, but lets name it as a JOOG not JOUKE
Yeah I'm thinking about the belts and other stuff you see decorate the khamiis of people like Sultan Diinle

1726178919982.png

Somalis throughout history had a vibrant sandle/shoe and leather product making industry which they ended up spreading to the northern swahili coastal settlements as well. Bags, pouches, belts , hand bags and book covers etc

PYHmEiq.png

4453912461_8f966df4e5_z.jpg

During the Kacaan period they tried to expand on it and make them into luxury items.

See the first minute of this video. Mentions bones, metal, ivory, wood carvings and even stone cutting. Alongside leatherwork with sandals and pouches etc They show a couple of those sandals being sold by traditional craftsmen.

Last edited:
Somalis throughout history had a vibrant sandle/shoe and leather product making industry which they ended up spreading to the northern swahili coastal settlements as well. Bags, pouches, belts , hand bags and book covers etc

PYHmEiq.png

During the Kacaan period they tried to expand on it and make them into luxury items.

See the first minute of this video. Mentions bones, metal, ivory, wood carvings and even stone cutting. Alongside leatherwork with sandals and pouches etc They show a couple of those sandals being sold by traditional craftsmen.
May i know if there was a head/hair jewellery for our ladies

PYHmEiq.png

The shoes were stunning actually

الصوماليون لا يرتدون الذهب تاريخيا، الفضة كانت معدننا
كان الفضة تُرتدى على نطاق واسع، لكن الذهب يعتبر رمزًا للسيدات الصوماليات.
نحن نحفر الذهب من صوفالا

Khaemwaset

VIP
Yeb sultan olol dinle is wearing a khamiis
View attachment 343370
Also i wanna know where this kinda of cloak got it from or did he make by his own
View attachment 343371
I'm deffo sure fhat all of the clothing worn by those aristocrats were handmade. Standardised clothing manufacturing wasn't a thing jn Somalia back then. Thing is we didn't have manufacturers producing this stuff when factories came to Somalia. Which made abdis glow down to sweat shop macawiis and wife beater drip

PYHmEiq.png

Wow I didn't know that thier were leatherworking traditions that the swahili adopted from us. We honestly need to revive all these handicraft traditions. Since I'd say your avg somali doesn't know any thing about this.
Oh and what source is that book by the way.

I'm deffo sure fhat all of the clothing worn by those aristocrats were handmade. Standardised clothing manufacturing wasn't a thing jn Somalia back then. Thing is we didn't have manufacturers producing this stuff when factories came to Somalia. Which made abdis glow down to sweat shop macawiis and wife beater drip
Sometimes I wonder why we give all our traditions and civilization to foreigners, our society got brainwashed, they believed those civilization were built by foreigners like arabs and so on, saying we were nomads, who said nomads can do nothing, the biggest empiror was built by nomads the Magol empire (tatar), also roman and persian were distroyed by nomads.
the worst is claiming being arab.

The Gaboye made the kabo:
1726798380119.png

The leather itself came from the hunting of animals by Madhiban, sometimes drawn from typical livestock. Oryx beisa was often the go-to when making durable material for the shield.
1726798844443.png

You had also other prized animal hides that were less available than the oryx:
1726799695226.png

These animals were found in abundance 150 years ago.

1726799918441.png

True story from the Hawd. The guy survived.:ftw9nwa: